Post-Game Talk: #52 | Jets at Flyers | February 8, 2024 | Flyers win 4-1

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Must be a relative.

True story: at a game in the late 80s, I saw a guy wearing an Al Hill jersey. I couldn’t resist so I asked, why Al Hill? Answer: Al was his cousin and he when he told cousin Al he was going to be in Philly on business, Hill got him a ticket to the game.
"A rookie by the name of Alan Hill." His famous debut game was almost 47 years ago tonight. This game was syndicated on national TV. Scored on his first shot in the NHL.

• Love
Reactions: orangey

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Must be a relative.

True story: at a game in the late 80s, I saw a guy wearing an Al Hill jersey. I couldn’t resist so I asked, why Al Hill? Answer: Al was his cousin and he when he told cousin Al he was going to be in Philly on business, Hill got him a ticket to the game.
Sort of fun fact: Al's son, Jarrod, coaches the Hershey High School hockey team.

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
All right, which one of you psychos was just walking on Walnut in the #49 Cates jersey?
I'm surprised some people on this forum didn't want to hunt him down and do some damage for wearing that Cates jersey. So many will be very happy the day he goes to another org.

On a 5 on 3 PP to ice the game the Flyers rolled:

Poehling - Cates - Tippett - Zamula - York

I think that encapsulates my thoughts on PP coaching. Best of all, the design was to give Cam York one timers. Cam York.
woof.

Reactions: BiggE

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Come on Vlad, we all know that Seeler's going absolutely nowhere
:laugh:

What I'm really driving at is I wonder who else they are scouting. Based on reports, they want to get TK's deal done, they just re-signed Tippett. We know Walker is likely out the door, but 12 scouts is quite a bit for just him and Seeler alone. Risto didn't play...Frost is on TSN's trade bait list at 20, which is higher than Seeler (22).

A youngish 50 point 2C, putting up great analytical numbers, with an additional year at 2M is probably very attractive for contending teams. I'm just saying.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts has reason to be upset, they went up 4-0 and coasted the rest of the way.

But other than costing Ersson a shutout, it's not like the Jets made a serious push to get back into the game. Players are human after all, you beat FLA on the road then go up 4-0, hard to maintain a sense of urgency.

Those "lucky bounces" reflect Branch Rickey's dictum: "luck is the residue of design." They attacked the net and good things happened.

York - Sanheim was the best defensive pair, raises some interesting questions about the pairs after the TDL. Sanheim - Drysdale is not a good pairing. One reason they might be considering keeping Seeler would be to pair him with Drysdale (whose development is far more important than say obtaining a 4th rd pick). Would you want him to be paired with Zamula, Ginning or Andrae?

York - Sanheim
Seeler - Drysdale
Zamula - Risto

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm surprised some people on this forum didn't want to hunt him down and do some damage for wearing that Cates jersey. So many will be very happy the day he goes to another org.
AFAICT, most of us don't have a problem with Cates as a player; we have a problem with his usage. If he's the 3LW and a PKer, getting appropriate minutes for that role, he's perfectly fine. It's when he's playing up at 2C and has the second-most TOI among forwards that it starts to become an issue, and that's coaching, not the player.

Hopefully, he'll remain in a role where his offensive ineptitude doesn't overwhelm his defensive prowess; at that point, he's a benefit to the team.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

What I'm really driving at is I wonder who else they are scouting. Based on reports, they want to get TK's deal done, they just re-signed Tippett. We know Walker is likely out the door, but 12 scouts is quite a bit for just him and Seeler alone. Risto didn't play...Frost is on TSN's trade bait list at 20, which is higher than Seeler (22).

A youngish 50 point 2C, putting up great analytical numbers, with an additional year at 2M is probably very attractive for contending teams. I'm just saying.
We all know how stupid it would be for them to trade Frost, so we absolutely know that they're going to do it and they'll sell it as part of the "rebuild"

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Cates is 11th in ES TOI this season, Brink was 9th when he was up.

Cates is now at 3LW, the lines seem to be set unless there's a trade (and Laughton is the 10th forward).

Last season was a lost cause, Cates and Frost played equal minutes at center to give them experience and evaluate their play. Cates is moving into the Laughton role, which is why there's a good chance Laughton will be traded.

If they decide to keep Poehling at 3C, if they trade Laughton, look for them to pick up a veteran center as a throw in, Laczynski hasn't been able to stay healthy and Desnoyers isn't NHL ready right now.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

I also keep forgetting about Laughton. I can't believe any team would want to trade for him right now.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I also keep forgetting about Laughton. I can't believe any team would want to trade for him right now.
He has a lot of value to a playoff team that has offensive firepower but needs depth in the bottom six and help on the PK. Goodrow was a good comp, basically traded with a 3rd for a late 1st (so more like mid 2nd rd value).

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Torts has reason to be upset, they went up 4-0 and coasted the rest of the way.

But other than costing Ersson a shutout, it's not like the Jets made a serious push to get back into the game. Players are human after all, you beat FLA on the road then go up 4-0, hard to maintain a sense of urgency.

Those "lucky bounces" reflect Branch Rickey's dictum: "luck is the residue of design." They attacked the net and good things happened.

York - Sanheim was the best defensive pair, raises some interesting questions about the pairs after the TDL. Sanheim - Drysdale is not a good pairing. One reason they might be considering keeping Seeler would be to pair him with Drysdale (whose development is far more important than say obtaining a 4th rd pick). Would you want him to be paired with Zamula, Ginning or Andrae?

York - Sanheim
Seeler - Drysdale
Zamula - Risto

"Coasting" is the Tortshell. The original and ultimate shell. It's very safe. It's great.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
1707492793810.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad