Post-Game Talk: #52| Canadiens 1 at FLYERS 3| Thursday, February 2, 2017

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The good players playing below their abilities are superior to several players still playing. That's an issue.

hitnail.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Good players or talented players.
There's a subtle difference some fans seem to neglect.

Ghost is a talented player, but only a homer would call him a good player this season.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Good players or talented players.
There's a subtle difference some fans seem to neglect.

Ghost is a talented player, but only a homer would call him a good player this season.

And yet still better than MacDonald, Streit, MDZ, or Manning.

But why am I even wasting my time responding to you...

You said MacDonald has only had one bad stretch of games so obviously you have no clue what's going on...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The implicit assumption from the Fire Hakstol contingent is that the new coach would do the things we all don't like (like scratching Konecny) less often, but a new coach may well actually do them more often.

This is a highly flawed roster. There is not a coach anywhere in NHL history that wouldn't be forced to make decisions and use players in ways we don't like because of that.

We'd be switching one set of issues for a different one, because there's only so much for any coach to work with here.

Also, he's still way better than Berube.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Some of the posts around here are like screaming fire because of smoke coming out of the gallery while the Titantic is sinking. The only thing that can save this season is the kind of goaltending they got last year, and by Mason for a few recent games, because otherwise, even if they play like last night on a regular basis, they're going to lose the majority of games if the goalies give up the soft goals they were allowing the first 50 games.

As we saw last night, Ghost and Konecny are not key players on THIS team, THIS year, they're young players with a bright future who are still terribly inconsistent, which is typical of young players. Even Provorov makes his share of blunders, he's just so talented that he compensates for his rookie shortfalls with his elevated play.

The reason Hextall prefers that his young players complete juniors and spend a year in the AHL is probably because he'd like them to mature physically and as players without starting their "clock," and not having to force his coach deal with their growing pains at the NHL level.

I think Hextall ideally wants his prospects to get seasoned before they hit the NHL, Cousins is a good example, two full years in the AHL, then part-time duty last year and he's working his way into a full-time role this year at age 23. Morin will have 2 full seasons in the AHL, Sanheim 1, Hagg 3, Leier 2, AK 1, when they hit training camp next year. Lindblom is starring in a league a notch above the AHL, while Vorobyov is holding his own in the KHL. Laughton is getting the AHL time he should have received the last couple years, forced to learn to play defense before he received a promotion.

Vorobyov and Konency are exceptions, Myers might have been, but the lost time to concussions will probably send him to the AHL. Rubtsov is almost certain to return to juniors or to the AHL next year.

The bad news is it slows the flow of talent, which is frustrating to us as fans, the good news is when these players arrive, hopefully they'll have a better grasp of fundamentals (especially defense and taking care of the puck) and once they arrive, it'll be as regulars. And by delaying their arrival, the team will get a few inexpensive years of solid play, instead of one to two season of part-time play while they learn on the job.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Some really bold declarations based on a single game sample. Like how Ghost isn't a major factor on this team despite being a vital part of PP1.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Or the best 5v5 scorer on the team not being a key player

"But they won, so ... derp ... therefore ... derp ..."

The rest of this rebuild is going to give me delirium tremens if this is how it is going to be with just the first three of the reinforcements on the team. And next year, when the same (or different) people are taking Provy for granted and cherrypicking stupid things to complain about ... I just can't even.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Good to know that 1 of our top 6 forwards and top 3 Dmen are not key players to our team.

I now feel edjumacated.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Konecy is not a key element of any line, he's been shifted around trying to find a good fit, he can score for both teams. He's got a lot of talent, but he's also raw, a work in progress. Has good nights but has some really bad nights as well. And given his size, he needs to sit every few weeks at this point in the season to avoid the rookie wall.

Ghost was a key player last year, but the PP was struggling with him leading it this year, Giroux is the key player on the PP, not Ghost, you could replace him with Streit or Provorov and it wouldn't be a huge fall off (I think Provorov with experience could be just as effective, his puck control and wrist shot give a different look).

Point is benching them for a couple games doesn't cripple this team. In fact, I want to see more of Weise with Schenn and Simmons, because his size and speed and willingness to hit are something this team needs. I could live without Streit, but it's probably not a bad thing RIGHT NOW to showcase him on PP1 before the trade deadline.

Point is the sky isn't falling.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not the sky, but the collective IQ of the board falling that concerns me.

Well, I have to agree, since someone did try to draw a parallel between benching Konecny and benching McDavid. :laugh:

Notice Provorov hasn't been benched, guess he's one of Hakstol's favorites? Or is he just more consistent and responsbile than Ghost?

It wouldn't surprise me give their size, that Hakstol wants to limit both Ghost and especially Konency to 70-75 games, and is merely picking the games they sit out to be both rest and a learning experience.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well, I have to agree, since someone did try to draw a parallel between benching Konecny and benching McDavid. :laugh:

Notice Provorov hasn't been benched, guess he's one of Hakstol's favorites? Or is he just more consistent and responsbile than Ghost?

It wouldn't surprise me give their size, that Hakstol wants to limit both Ghost and especially Konency to 70-75 games, and is merely picking the games they sit out to be both rest and a learning experience.

Again you miss the point. You're just embarrassing yourself at this point, Dave.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

And again, Ghost wasnt scratched in his rookie year..when he was making Hak look competent by carrying them to the playoffs after the team started poorly.

Wait until Provy's 2nd year and see how Davey treats him before making that comparison.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Good to know that 1 of our top 6 forwards and top 3 Dmen are not key players to our team.

I now feel edjumacated.

So you have nine key players. If there are two or three key players per team, TK nor Ghost are key. Deadhead is exactly right on that In my opinion. The 5v5 comment is like saying he was the smartest kid in summer school. Either the team did get the message and played much tighter against the Habs or TK and Ghosts loose play impacts the game more than you think. Either way it worked, at least for one game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad