.500 hockey for the balance of the season could mean playoffs

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
As the Senators finish off their 5th straight win, they have earned a good 7 point cusion in the hunt for a playoff birth. The team is depleated, but spirited in their quest to play each game like it is their last. Some days we get bailed out by goaltending, some days our team outplays opponents through effort and hard work.

In the past few seasons teams have been able to get into the playoffs with around 92pts in 82 games (sometimes less). If we convert that into a point-per-game ratio we would only need 28 points out of our remaining 28 games in order to make the playoffs.

All this being said I think it will be a tall task for the Senators to get enough wins, but at least due to their strong start they have a little more leeway in their ability to make the post season.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If we go on another 3-4 game winning streak soon, do you see Murray making a move early to help this team rather than trade deadline? It;s not uncommon with Bryan Murray.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
If we go on another 3-4 game winning streak soon, do you see Murray making a move early to help this team rather than trade deadline? It;s not uncommon with Bryan Murray.

I think the only moves Murray would make at the deadline are ones that would increase our team strength moving forward into the future, something like the Turris trade. In the past Murray has made short term moves to solidify our team going into the postseason, but I think it was more based on the team's mentality of "win now". I think Murray knows the organization is looking to be stronger moving forward and won't sacrifice futures for short term assets.

If the right deal comes along that helps us now, but is also a young asset that we can control then he may pull the trigger.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
If Spezza returns with a good amount of games left to play in the season, our playoff chances could be good. Michalek and Lats should hopefully return soon.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Funny I just looked at that earlier. I based it on 94 points and your in for an 82 game schedule. With 28 games left and 26 points in the bank they would need to win the equivalent of 14 games (28 points) + 1 more point for a total of 55 points over the 48 game schedule.

Earned points %
48 x 2 = 096 max points 55/096 =0.5729 or 57%
82 x 2 = 164 max points 94/164 =0.5732 or 57%

An extra win or 2 would be nice but it is certainly within reach now.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Odds are certainly that they make it. I dont know what to think though. IMO this team is just as likely to continue its torrid pace as it is to crash and burn starting next game.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
I was reluctant to think that Murray might grab someone for the playoffs. Actually...how much room do we have, cap-wise?

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
In the easy East I think the Sens will have a good chance to sliding into the playoffs. Lots of bottom feeders right now that need to blow things up (looking at you Buffalo, Washington).

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
But don't Spezza's and Karlsson' salaries still count?

we can add 68M at the deadline, in other words, we can do whatever we want.
we can lose only ~20M (we dont have 20M to sell, dont worry).

basically, anything is possible for the sens under the cap.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I was reluctant to think that Murray might grab someone for the playoffs. Actually...how much room do we have, cap-wise?

I'm pretty sure with prorating we could trade for the New York islanders and be under the cap still

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
We play the next 5 and 7 of our next 8 on the road. If we can get through this stretch at or above .500, we'll be in great shape for the playoffs.

Next 8 games:
@ Boston
@ Philly
@ NYI
@ Toronto
@ NYR
vs Boston
@ Montreal
@ Buffalo

Hoping we can squeak 4 wins out of that stretch of games, but it's going to be tough.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
We play the next 5 and 7 of our next 8 on the road. If we can get through this stretch at or above .500, we'll be in great shape for the playoffs.

Next 8 games:
@ Boston
@ Philly
@ NYI
@ Toronto
@ NYR
vs Boston
@ Montreal
@ Buffalo

Hoping we can squeak 4 wins out of that stretch of games, but it's going to be tough.

A road trip is exactly what this squad needs right now. They were flat last night. Time to get the energy level back up with some elevator races and hallway ice fights.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not if they keep handing points to our rivals in the Atlantic and NE.

It is better to have 1 terrible division, like the SE, then have 2 good teams in it. Even if they give those points out the teams in Atlantic and NE will even out through the more divisional games they play. It then basically becomes a 10 team race for 7 spots. Take out the Islanders and Sabres, and the odds look pretty good when you consider someone in those divisional games must lose points.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Right now, the 8th place is on pace for 51 points. Does the 54-55 point some of the guys are talking about factor in that they are only playing their own conference? or does it even change anything?

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010

Next 8 games:
@ Boston
@ Philly
@ NYI
@ Toronto
@ NYR
vs Boston
@ Montreal
@ Buffalo

if you gave me 8 pts out of this stretch right now i'd run with it and thank god.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad