Player Discussion 50 in 50?

50 in 50?

• Total voters

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If I were to bet on any player doing it, it would be him for sure, but I still don't think it will happen.

What will happen in the next few years though, is that he will take top place in most points in a season this century.

Reactions: Aerrol

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
i thought this was going to be about ty rattie

if Rattie can keep up the same smart play in the regular season. I'd put money on him hitting 30 goals playing with McDavid.

He could be the Blair MacDonald of this oilers era.

with the dynamics of what the McDavid line has shown to date, I'd say no to 50 in 50.
I'd be dancing if he could get 50 over the season, though!

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Ovechkin peaked at 65 in this era. McDavid is better than Ovechkin in terms of generating scoring chances for himself, but he lacks several things that Ovie has
1) shoot-first mentality to the extreme
2) top tier shooting ability
3) linked to the above, powerplay role (he's not a shooter there)

Honestly McDavid could score 50 goals at even strength alone but would still be hard pressed to flirt with 60. 60 over a full season is the absolute peak I see for him. I think 100 assists would be more likely for him TBH.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
mcdavid will score 75 goals in one season before he is 25

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I would say no. He will score more goals than he has but not 50/50.

The poll is poor as well. Two options are the same and the only option of no he won't is that nobody will do it again.

I would pick that McD won't do it. But I wouldn't rule out somebody in the hockey future doing it.

Reactions: Aerrol

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
No, but for all the talk about Laine and Matthews, I am going out on a limb that he beats them both this year lol.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
No, but for all the talk about Laine and Matthews, I am going out on a limb that he beats them both this year lol.

I think Laine gets 50 this year. he's my pick to win the Richard trophy.
I know not stepping outside the box with that pick, but he's that good of a scorer.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I went with the 4 choice since "It's highly unlikely that we'll see that in this era of hockey" wasn't there.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
No. Could he hit 50 in a season? Probably. Could he hit 60 in a season? Maybe. 50 in 50 is just not reasonable though

And I say that as someone who thinks there’s a very good chance that he goes down as being a top 5 player all time

I think that top-20/top-25 is all but assured at this point to be honest, barring some crazy injury issue. I won't be surprised to see him mentioned as a top-10 all-time player when all is said and done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad