Post-Game Talk: 50 for Matthews as Leafs Win in Arizona

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We always play good teams well, it should be close either way. Beating bad teams is an improvement over the 1st half of the season

Yep. We’ve had some clunkers against terrible teams but against good teams?

Hard to find a game that they didn’t show up, win or lose.

We’ve lost to Ottawa, Chicago, Buffalo. I was more worried about last night than tonight’s game.

Tonight’s game is against a good team. You know the effort will be there.

Reactions: Confucius

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
who woulda thought put him with linemates that mix it up and he gets a little tougher
I honestly would of never expected that from him. He's never given any indication what so ever before of having an aggressive side. That said , you're right in the sense players play bigger when they know they have their backs covered .

Reactions: arso40

Tlo1

Nov 6, 2017
Everyone needs to calm down about the 5-0 without Rielly. They played Blues, Flyers, Ducks, Blues, and ASU

Next 3 games are Knights, Avs, Knights and Theodore is back for the Knights.

Going 0-3 with the big 3 going scoreless wont be a surprise no matter whos playing defense, but I can just see the people freaking out now and be like healthy scratch Morgan.

It's going to be infuriating I can see it now
Leafs always struggle against bottom feeders this season. The wins vs Philly , Ducks and Yotes are games we normally have trouble with.

Reactions: Confucius

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Minor comment by Mylander postgame, but also a huge one for the team. He actually pushed back physically, and said he "knew" that Domi and Bert had his back. This sticking up for each other, is a refreshing development and I for one don't think it's inconsequential for ultimate team success. There is no question we play with more "snot" this year, watching Willie be so feisty is a treat to see.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Could only catch the first period, looks like they let their foot off the gas in the second. Happy to see the result though.

I had to find the Nylander durzi scrums. Love seeing Bert and Domi jumping in for Nylander. I like what Keefe has done with the second and third lines - a nice balance there.

Anyone have a clip of that scrum?

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Ok Tell his defence partner that when the 2 on 1 comes back the other way
exactly thats part of the problem he covers more ground since hes up in the play and he plays too much gotta dial something bacc

Reactions: Tlo1

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Very nice of Matthews to hit 50 in the 1st so I could go to sleep.

The team is really showing some heart right now, which is a desperately needed breath of fresh air. That's a far more important development than adding a deadline defenseman or winger. If they can keep this grit going into the playoffs, good things will happen. Give us Boston in the first round and we'll slay that dragon!

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Man I know Rielly is coming back but I wouldn't really change the defensive pairs

Brodie - Lilly
Rielly - XXX
McCabe - Benoit
They really need to find a top 4 RHD for Moe,Lilly and Brodie played extremely well together and Brodie looks like a new dman on his natural side, and the 3rd pairing there bangs bodies while being able to play well..

Good win tonight, liked how the leafs took it to Arizona in the 3rd and didn’t sit back.

Reactions: Al14 and ACC1224

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Minor comment by Mylander postgame, but also a huge one for the team. He actually pushed back physically, and said he "knew" that Domi and Bert had his back. This sticking up for each other, is a refreshing development and I for one don't think it's inconsequential for ultimate team success. There is no question we play with more "snot" this year, watching Willie be so feisty is a treat to see.
He mentioned Bertuzzi by name?

Nice.

You can already see the difference in the intangibles compared to last year. Glad to have Bert and Domi for the playoff ride

Reactions: studebaker17

Tlo1

Nov 6, 2017
Defenders joining the rush is how hockey is played these days, it's not unique to Rielly.
Forwards need to make the correct read to prevent the odd man rush going back the other way.
Agree but his timing always sucks. Can’t remember a single 2on1 the last five games.

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Nylander not taking any shit is a welcome sign, now it’s Marner’s turn. And what’s wrong with Durzi, he is so unhinged all the time?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Good road win.
Team has played some very good hockey since the Rielly suspension.
Will be interesting to see if they can keep up this level of intensity and attention to detail when he returns.
We're a very good team when we play a full 60.

McMann ... what Bertuzzi was supposed to be.
Anger ... what is driving this current streak
Matthews ... wrist might be better, fastest American to 50 goals.
Nylander ... seems to have come down with some of the Anger going around
Brodie ... only a buffoon would put him back on RD
Tavares ... looks much better with Bertuzzi McMann and Robertson

1708616732831.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad