Post-Game Talk: 50 for Matthews as Leafs Win in Arizona

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Bit of a lull in the middle but a pretty easy win nonetheless.
Team is becoming fun to watch again.
Biggest takeaway was Nylanders new found aggression, about time.

That Bert-Domi-Willy line has a bone to pick apparently. Love it.

I'm liking the current look of the forward group. Put Jarnkrok in with Kampf and Holmberg for a line that can actually play defense and... Not bad?

Reactions: ACC1224

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Despite the Matthews milestone my favorite play last night was watching Crouse chase Lily into the corner in seek of retribution for the Cooley hit only to have Lily turn away at the last second and Crouse end up with a face full of boards/glass. That's fun stuff. :)

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
That Bert-Domi-Willy line has a bone to pick apparently. Love it.

I'm liking the current look of the forward group. Put Jarnkrok in with Kampf and Holmberg for a line that can actually play defense and... Not bad?
It seems Domi can be 2C. Domi played excellently when he was the 2C with strong wingers (Willy or MM).

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Despite the Matthews milestone my favorite play last night was watching Crouse chase Lily into the corner in seek of retribution for the Cooley hit only to have Lily turn away at the last second and Crouse end up with a face full of boards/glass. That's fun stuff. :)
Liljegren had an awesome game all around as well.

Looked like the kid who was touted as a top 5 pick once.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Just keep building on this pack mentality they seem to be forming. Stand up for yourself and the team around you. It doesn't have to result in a fight, but just always let the other team know you are there and you won't be pushed around.
Much as people are (rightly) critical of their lack of scoring, I think Bertuzzi and Domi, along with Benoit and McCabe, have really made a difference in the attitude of the team.

Case in point would be Nylander's game - started one scrum and actually involved (as opposed to watching from the edge) in at least one more.

Reactions: ToneDog and Jojalu

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I honestly would of never expected that from him. He's never given any indication what so ever before of having an aggressive side. That said , you're right in the sense players play bigger when they know they have their backs covered .
He's responded a couple of times this year to late hits. Overall more aggressive this year - highest ever hits per 60, and already within 2 of his highest season total (in his rookie year).

Reactions: Jojalu

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Great to see McMann step up with secondary scoring as you guys say ... like JT on 3rd line with McMann .. team plays much better when Willy gets more involved with a guy like Domi who can skate with Willy .. and Bert to muscle people around makes a good solid 2nd line

Line 1 was all around amazing again

But Benoit omg this kid is continuing to play outstanding D .. i mean super outstanding D .. i had no idear how good this kid is .. he seems to be uppping his game game by game .. d*mn maybe he is becoming a top 4 D .. McCabe also playing his best all season long .. and Lily seems to play better when moved up lineup .. maybe all we need is a partner for Rielly now .. i like Tanev as Rielly needs da right guy with him .. Tanev for Minten, Topi and a 3rd rounder lets go Tree
Liked the lines - hope he keeps them for a while.

Love Benoit and Liljegren!

Oddly enough, although they played well, neither of the top two 'lines' produced a single point.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
He 'Croused' face first into the glass, haha

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Boy that arena sucks for TV, the camera angle is awful, the puck is tiny and the lighting leaves shadows everywhere.
And yet, Bettman is already ringing his hands to relocate the Jets to south of the border. Sure, the Jets have only 10,000 or so season ticket holders, however that is double even the capacity of the Mullet arena where the Phoenix Coyotes play !!!

Bettman needs to concentrate on getting the Coyotes to an NHL capacity arena. Hopefully, the seasons ticket base for the Jets will increase with the improvement we've seen from the team on the ice.

JMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad