5 Years Later - HFNHL Flames 2011 Draft Review

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
You can find the draft review thread here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=934293&highlight=flames+draft

PLAYERS

1.19 Matt Puempel - BUSTING, but will get another shot.

39 games into an NHL career, it's been a slow trajectory for Puempel. 26 games this year. He's too good for the AHL, and not quite good enough for a top 6 role in the NHL. If I hadn't taken him, I had Jensen (also Bust) next on my list.

I am usually way too patient, but never fell in love with Puempel, and moved him for Dmitri Orlov and Jamie McBain. Orlov was then packaged for a first which was sent off for David Savard, who's on my roster now.

I should have taken Boone Jenner.

END RESULT: Traded

3. 72 Josh Leivo - Borderline NHL'er

He's continued developing, and he'll be a bubble player again for the Leafs. 5 goals in 12 games last season, and hopefully that'll be enough to get another shot.

Oddly, he was part of the Orlov for a first package last season, which was flipped for David Savard.

END RESULT: Traded

4. 112 Matt Killian - Bust

Undrafted, but played four years at Yale before calling it quits on a hockey career. Good skater but hands of stone.

END RESULT: Released

6. 158 Laurent Brossoit - Borderline NHL'er

Very happy with this pick, and Brossoit is still on the roster, and the top Flames goalie prospect. Had a great season in the AHL, had some quality NHL starts, but also struggled. He's in a fight for the NHL backup job with the Oilers this year, but another AHL year won't hurt. Lot's of optimism still.

END RESULT: Prospects List

6. 171 Alex Kuvaev - Serious Bust

HOMER PICK ALERT. There's one or two every year. This Russkie isn't even good enough for the KHL. Plying his trade in the VHL.

6. 172 Craig Wyszomirski - Bust (or maybe not)

Undrafted, and with hands of stone, the Flames gave up on him within a couple of years. But surprise, surprise, the kid got an ECHL tryout contract after he graduated from the NCAA's this season, and will be an invite to the LA Kings camp. Might be due a UDFA signing.

7. 194 Jimmy Vesey - Big Diva

Undrafted, but drafted in the 3rd round the next season, Hobey Baker winner, Nashville Predators villain, Jack Eichels' temporary roommate, definitely not going to the Maple Leafs Diva. What else can be said?

END RESULT: Prospect List

7. 202 Petr Placek - Big Bust

This smart kid suffered a career ending injury while at Havard.

OVERALL

Well, I got a major roster piece out of the top pieces of this draft, plus a potential NHL goalie, and who knows what with Vesey, at a minimum a lot of entertainment, at most, perhaps a game changer at the NHL level. B, maybe an A if Vesey pans out.

Last edited:

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Quite the mixed bag of stuff here. Interesting to read the review done after the draft as well. It's crazy how far off we (and scouts, more importantly) can be with some of these kids that don't pan out as expected.

With the subsequent trade for Savard and Vesey turning into a legit prospect I'd say this class worked out pretty well for you. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad