5 Years Later - Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Review

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
A year after the draft disaster that is Val Nichushkin in 2013, the Flames really started their rebuild in the 2014 draft. The Flames had four 2nd rounders in 2013 - and right before the draft traded their 2nd rounder for Ville Pokka. They had 3 late picks, the Blues 90th overall, and their first rounder.

The Flames tried everything to move into the #5 pick - but Alvaro's shower was closed because of infection - the Flames target was Draisaitl. Was even trying to get to #1 to take him. Sheesh.

HFNHL Flames 2014 Entry Draft Review & Prospect List

1.18 Dylan Larkin
Next season, Dylan Larkin will have the highest OV of any forward on the Flames roster. He was on top of the Flames list and the other players considered are all busts, so phew that I just went by the research and not some stupid gamble on a redline profile. It goes to show how small the margin is between building and busting.
Outcome: Home Run

Next, the Flames traded away a future 2nd and other picks for the 39. Why? To beat Jeff Kirk to his namesake, because of the aforementioned redline profiles.

2.39 Justin Kirkland
What was I thinking? Madness. Especially this early. I've since learned to wait it out and take these players in the fourth round. I even made a comment in my review that I picked him WAY too early. Nashville just let him go to free agency, not giving him a qualifying offer. Bah.
Should have taken: Sebastian Aho, who was taken 5 picks later, or Braden Point, who was taken 11 picks later.
Outcome: Bust

3.90 Tyler Bird
By the time 90 came around my list had dwindled to nothing. None of the players I wanted in this spot were there, so I took a flyer on a kid who I should have waited to pick in the 7th. Talented and big, but in the high school prep circuit, he flamed out in college and although he played in the East Coast last season, he won't be a full time pro hockey player.
Should have taken: Anders Bjork and Brandon Montour went in the 4th round.

6.179 Waltteri Hopponen
Flames thought his struggles might be because of the shift to smaller ice and culture, as he'd once been highly touted. But, instead, he was just not that good at hockey. Playing pro in Finlands 2nd tier now.
Should have taken: Connor Clifton, who went 3rd last in the draft, but just played 19 games for the Bruins in the playoffs.

7.183 Brian Bowen
This kid is kicking ass, with 40 points in 36 games, in the... *looks it up*, Southern Professional Hockey League. If playing hockey in Louisiana is your thing, this was a great pick ;)
Should have taken: The previously mentioned Clifton.

7.186 Nick Wolff
I really like this player and think he may still have an outside shot at the NHL. Stay at home defenseman wasn't drafted in the NHL but is now a senior in college. Attended Flames development camp for two years, then the Bruins last year and this.
Should have taken: Nobody. Happy with this pick.
Outcome: Still a prospect, if an unlikely one to ever make it.

Overall: Imagine Aho and Larkin. That should have been the outcome. Still, one of those two is better than none. Larkin will be a Flamette for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canuck09

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I had watched Kirkland dominate the Vancouver Giants in his draft year and wanted him so badly. He had size, he had skill but was stuck down the depth chart on a deep Kelowna team. I haven't followed him that closely as the pain of not getting him never went away...what happened with his development?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I had watched Kirkland dominate the Vancouver Giants in his draft year and wanted him so badly. He had size, he had skill but was stuck down the depth chart on a deep Kelowna team. I haven't followed him that closely as the pain of not getting him never went away...what happened with his development?

Skating and IQ were never that great and in the time between his draft and now the world has changed. The game got quick. He’s not as physical as you need for a bottom six forward.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
You do realize that the Sebastian Aho drafted by the HFNHL Oilers at 45 ov was the Swedish defenseman and not the Finnish forward.

Oh, well, still would have been better :D

What really counts is that my Finnish Tuukka Tieksola (TT2) has a sister who's dating the Finnish forward Aho... ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad