5 Years Later - 2014 HFNHL Lightning Draft Review

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
These used to be a yearly thing but I don't recall seeing many last draft season. Pretty sure this will be my first recap of my own draft class...and it's not especially great. After leaving Edmonton 4-5 years into my tenure I had to restart the clock in Tampa and here's how it went...

1.3 Sam Bennett
Traded
Recap: I recall being pretty locked in on him or Sam Reinhart. Not sure why I didn't have Draisaitl on my list but that's an obvious miss now. Bennett is a real good NHL player that I'd love to have on my team but he's yet to live up to his draft position. Traded as part of Huberdeau/Hayes return.
Outcome: NHL regular

1.23 Conner Bleackley
Released
Recap: I was very high on Bleackley at the draft and even traded up a few spots to take him. He sounded like a lock to be a 2nd line C in the NHL and potential future captain. Was drafted in the 1st in the NHL but went unsigned. Was drafted a 2nd time but has been a minor league player ever since.
Outcome: Bust

2.56 Juho Lammikko

Signed to ELC
Recap: Another player like Bleackley, seemed to be able to do a bit of everything and could possibly carve out a NHL career in the bottom 6 if his offense didn't develop. Well here we are and his offense hasn't really translated but he's been a solid AHL player and got a first taste of the NHL with 40 games last season in a bottom 6 role.
Outcome: NHL hopeful

3.63 Blake Siebenaler
Traded
Recap: I always seemed to look to the OHL and our resident OHL experts blog for 2nd & 3rd round picks at the time. Unfortunately so here. Siebenaler seemed to be a bit of a late bloomer. He showed good puck skills and could skate. Has yet to play a full season in the minors and seems to have stalled out.

3.79 Maxim Letunov
Signed to ELC
Recap: This was the first year I had access to the Black Book and was turned on to Letunov thanks to their relatively high ranking and glowing review. He was extremely skinny but had a frame to build on and showed a lot of skill. Add my affection for Russian prospects and he was a no brainer in the 3rd. Played 3 seasons in NCAA and made his pro debut last season with 28 points in 57 games.
Outcome: Long shot prospect bordering on KHL flight risk

3.91 Vladimir Tkachev
KHL regular and prospect list dust collector
Recap: Another pick thanks to Black Book and my love for Russians. Perhaps a little too soon for a small skill player to make an impact in the NHL, Tkachev seemed to have a lot of good qualities in a small package, and had already come over to play in the CHL so I liked my chances. Had a cup of coffee with the Oilers and has been rumoured to try the NHL a couple times but has stuck it out in the KHL.
Outcome: NHL bust that might one day return

4.106 Emil Johansson
Returned to Europe and prospect list dust collector
Recap: Was a big faller on the ISS list that year, someone would projected as a do everything depth defender. Had a few years of solid play in the AHL but didn't earn a shot in the show.

5.144 Ryan Graves
Signed to ELC
Recap: This may have been my first re-entry pick as Graves was drafted in the 2013 NHL entry draft. I remember watching him in the Memorial Cup and liking his game so I added him to my list as a potential late pick. He played a steady game and had a big shot. Bit of an old time hockey player who's skating might (and has) hold him back. Was a good AHL defender who was traded last year leading to 26 games in the NHL for Colorado. Is currently a RFA so we'll find out if the Avs view him as AHL depth or bottom pair NHL soon enough.
Outcome: NHL hopeful

5.148 Merrick Madsen
Signed to ELC
Recap: Another 2013 NHL pick, Madsen was a huge goalie with raw skills that Philadelphia seemed to really like. Spent 4 seasons putting up strong numbers for Harvard and finally made his pro debut last season splitting time between the AHL & ECHL. Seems unlikely at this point but expectations were never high for a late goalie pick.
Outcome: Minor league goalie

6.169 Oliver Leblanc
Released
Recap: I remember being very happy to get him this late. He wasn't a highly touted prospect but was the best defender on his QMJHL team with a lot of skill. That skills seems like it would translate to today's NHL better than 5 years ago but nonetheless, he didn't pan out. After finishing his QMJHL career went to play for University of New Brunswick.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I love these reviews.

I don't think anybody really had Draisaitl ahead of Bennet or Reinhart. And if you'd skipped over those two and not taken Draisaitl you'd have been worse off. It's looking like a pretty average draft in that top 15. Dal Colle, Virtanen, Fleury? Yuck. Getting Huberdeau and Hayes was good!

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I don't think anybody really had Draisaitl ahead of Bennet or Reinhart.

Hmm

I might have to take that back... taken from my own draft review in 2014...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 4.04.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 4.04.56 PM.png
    207.5 KB · Views: 3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad