5 years from now

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
OMG people get the doctor to prescribe some antidepressants in bulk for everyone on this thread collectively. Give me a freakin break. Nuge was a weak draft pick? Really? The guy had a bad year due to injury, most people have seen the talent there. This thread reminds me why I can't pay attention to HF anymore.

Yes,really.

Taylor Hall will always be the best player on this team.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
It probably is too late now with the additions of Fayne,Pouliot and Purcell.

Well, I'm gonna have to trust your crystal ball here since you already know what's gonna happen in five years, so next year should be a dead cinch for you.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
For some perspective: in 2007-08, the LA Kings finished in 29th place. Five years later they won their first Cup. Of that Cup winning team, there were two players who logged any significant time with the club five years prior. So...yeah.

Eirhead*

It's beyond laughable at how the fans of this team overrate RNH.

He certainly hasn't hit Taylor Hall level of impact yet, but he's got more hockey sense, so I think he still has a lot of potential he hasn't reached yet.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Bold opinion: RNH breaks out this year for 70+ points paired with solid two way play and a marked improvement in faceoffs with two fully functional properly strengthened and trained shoulders.

Haters, as they are wont to do, continue to hate and pine for the days of the tank.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
I always enjoy the "in 5 years..." threads.
2008: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=553649

I was just lurking abit. Not picking on you, Oil fans. Every team has these threads.

mods need to open that thread

How would you view the make-up of this team 5 years from now, if we still rode with the same players in the system?

My lineup would be:

Eberle-Gagner-Hemsky
Nilsson-Cogliano-Schremp
Penner-Horcoff-Nash
Pouliot-Brodziak-Brule

Smid-Petry
Chorney-Gilbert
Grebeshkov-Visnovsky

Garon
Deslauriers

2 players in the organization still

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's beyond laughable at how the fans of this team overrate RNH.

I would be absolutely blown away if you watched RNH in Junior. His play was outstanding even playing against double + coverage every game I watched.

RNH has off the charts hockey IQ and vision combined with great edgework/shiftiness. His weakness is size/strength right now and his skillset NEEDS time and experience to translate to the NHL. Comparable is Datzyuk who took till 25-27 to become dominate in the NHL. I see a similar timeline involved with RNH.

On any team with average line mates I see RNH being a great 2 way center who floats slightly above or below ppg.

If he develops as he should (hope Edmonton doesn't/hasn't ruined him somehow) it is very hard to imagine RNH not getting 100 points with the wingers available to him at least once in his prime.

His work in Junior and even his work in his rookie year shows exactly how special this kid can be offensively. He is currently recovering from shoulder surgery. Needs to be bigger/stronger. Needs experience. Is adjusting to tougher NHL competition. Is focusing more so on his 2 way game right now from what I have seen as well.

Who knows for sure how good he will be, but just because at age 20/180lbs he hasn't lit the league up yet doesn't mean he won't down the road. Extremely young and extremely talented.

I think more fans underestimate his top end because they are impatient and don't realize how long it can take for a center in the league to hit his stride in the NHL.

Edit: Even playing with Hall most the year I think 70 points is his top end next year.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Excellent, we have adjusted the rebuild time again to 5 years from now. The 5 year rebuild that takes 15 years. Wahhhh whoooo!
This team was never going to achieve success 5 years down the road when they first talked about rebuilding back in 2010. This organization had allowed itself to sink to an expansion team level talent base back then. It was always going to take much closer to ten years to build it back up. Pretty hard to sell a 10 year plan though. I think it was more of the media that pushed the 5 year estimate although I can't really recall now. What I remember the most from guys like Lowe, Tambellini, Laforge and even Katz was how they were building this team for the new arena which probably puts the time frame at about seven years.

Looking at the team now though, success 5 years from now looks very realistic providing that RNH and Eberle pan out similar to what Hall already looks like he's going to do. These guys are signed long term for pretty low dollars compared to what other teams have been signing their elite players to. It's going to allow them to have the availability for much more depth than teams like Chicago, Pittsburg and Washington to name a few. Avoiding those huge cap hits is going to be such an advantage. As long as Mactavish doesn't make too many big money mistakes going forward I think there is real optimism down the road. That said if we're having this conversation again in 2019 after 5 more pathetic seasons than I don't think it'll ever happen here.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
This team was never going to achieve success 5 years down the road when they first talked about rebuilding back in 2010. This organization had allowed itself to sink to an expansion team level talent base back then. It was always going to take much closer to ten years to build it back up. Pretty hard to sell a 10 year plan though. I think it was more of the media that pushed the 5 year estimate although I can't really recall now. What I remember the most from guys like Lowe, Tambellini, Laforge and even Katz was how they were building this team for the new arena which probably puts the time frame at about seven years.

Looking at the team now though, success 5 years from now looks very realistic providing that RNH and Eberle pan out similar to what Hall already looks like he's going to do. These guys are signed long term for pretty low dollars compared to what other teams have been signing their elite players to. It's going to allow them to have the availability for much more depth than teams like Chicago, Pittsburg and Washington to name a few. Avoiding those huge cap hits is going to be such an advantage. As long as Mactavish doesn't make too many big money mistakes going forward I think there is real optimism down the road. That said if we're having this conversation again in 2019 after 5 more pathetic seasons than I don't think it'll ever happen here.

Lowe explicitly stated that it was a 5 year rebuild in an interview around year two of the official rebuild.

Caused quite the ruckus since fans tend to be endlessly optimistic, and were already predicting playoffs by year 3, and a Stanley cups by year 4 back then.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Lowe explicitly stated that it was a 5 year rebuild in an interview around year two of the official rebuild.

Caused quite the ruckus since fans tend to be endlessly optimistic, and were already predicting playoffs by year 3, and a Stanley cups by year 4 back then.
Okay, I'll take your word for it. Like I said it's been so long now that I don't exactly remember and I don't care anymore. I've been accused a lot of being anti-Oiler everything lately when I don't think I am. I was trying to give the organization the benefit of the doubt. Point was is that I never believed whoever it was that was selling the five year plan back then but I do believe 5 years from now this can be a good team. As long as it isn't screwed up before then.;)

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Okay, I'll take your word for it. Like I said it's been so long now that I don't exactly remember and I don't care anymore. I've been accused a lot of being anti-Oiler everything lately when I don't think I am. I was trying to give the organization the benefit of the doubt. Point was is that I never believed whoever it was that was selling the five year plan back then but I do believe 5 years from now this can be a good team. As long as it isn't screwed up before then.;)

I know the feeling. It's always tough to be one of the negative ones during the summer when people don't have games to watch that reminds them how bad the team is.

I do agree with your overall point though. A 5 year total rebuild to respectability was hopelessly optimistic, especially considering the management groups they've been trying to make a go of it with.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I know the feeling. It's always tough to be one of the negative ones during the summer when people don't have games to watch that reminds them how bad the team is.

I do agree with your overall point though. A 5 year total rebuild to respectability was hopelessly optimistic, especially considering the management groups they've been trying to make a go of it with.
Management certainly hasn't helped to speed up the process.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

A 5 year plan would've worked if this organization had ended up getting top picks during strong draft years and not ended up getting 1 strong pick(Hall) and two weak picks in RNH and Yakupov.

RNH=closer to Sam Reinhart's level than Tyler Seguin's level and that's not a good thing,that's a bad thing.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I love reading back on these threads in hindsight.

Go check the one from 08 if you haven't yet. God, those were dark times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad