5 Signs of Mental Fatigue

Dwatson783

@dwatson783
Feb 17, 2009
Boston, MA
With the pace the guys are playing at (which is something EVERYONE has to deal with- so this isn't an excuses thread), I'm starting to see a few signs of mental fatigue in the game that need to be addressed before any cup run. I'm hoping these guys can get in somehow the mental reprise they need in order to be ready for the battle.

If I'm CJ though, I'm looking to address the following mental lapses:

1. Bad changes- we're seeing lines not getting in sync quick enough due to bad changes. Sometimes guys will get stuck out there, especially in the 2nd, but the B's are doing a pretty bad job at making sure they get full changes right now. They're also not paying attention always coming back and it's lead to odd man rushes that have gone against them.

2. Forcing wide passes in the offensive zone- The LKH line is guilty of this more than anyone else- it's something that's really popping into Brad's game as well though. This team is a puck possession team- they're working hard on the boards, cycling, wearing down teams and then they're making this bloody mistake and ruining it. They're forcing passes rink wide, high in the zone and it's stopping momentum, giving odd man breaks and going against everything they're looking to do.

To me, this is a sin.

3. Leaving the zone too early- Guys are getting too high on the breakout and it's causing defensemen to carry more/dump the puck. We're looking to get the fast break but the fast break is leaving forward flat footed. The breakout has to be better so that speed can be built through the neutral zone and the whole offense can move as one.

4. Bad pinches- 21 & 33 have been guilty of this quite a bit lately. There's the right time to pinch and then there's forcing it because you're exasperated. Guys can't be doing this especially with the depleted d corps. Leaving Hamilton playing 2 on 1's is not going to win us games.

5. Overplaying the puck in the defensive zone- I've seen this from a number of teams lately. Guys are overcommitting to the puck rather than picking up their man. If there are 2 guys behind the net then only 2 of our d men need to be there- the center needs to pick up the man in the slot. We need to watch the rotation and pick up the extra man rather than playing like a team of mites.

Not sure if this is as much of a thread of discussion than it is pointing out things I've been seeing. What else have you noticed that needs correcting?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I'm not trying to belittle this thread and the thoughts behind it (I do believe there is mental fatigue going on), but the teams we are playing against have the same issues (most have 15 or 16 games in March) so if we are breaking down because of mental fatigue then we should also be taking advantage of other teams that are facing the same types of break downs.

There is no excuse for how poorly this team is playing right now.

Dwatson783

@dwatson783
Feb 17, 2009
Boston, MA
It's true- I noted it in the 1st line and in some of the points. We should be taking advantage of others in the same boat- but first I think we need to address these gaps. Something that just adding new guys won't do.

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
I'm not trying to belittle this thread and the thoughts behind it (I do believe there is mental fatigue going on), but the teams we are playing against have the same issues (most have 15 or 16 games in March) so if we are breaking down because of mental fatigue then we should also be taking advantage of other teams that are facing the same types of break downs.

There is no excuse for how poorly this team is playing right now.

Correct ! Three words .......... Poor xxxxxxx efforts :cry:

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
Good eye. I'm seeing the same stuff for the most part.

#3 in particular. I think it probably has a lot to do with the injuries on D as well. I don't blame them. It's very much a rhythm thing with our breakouts and some of these guys are pretty new. I think a lot of teams are recognizing this and really getting in their faces. It's easy to get tunnel vision when that happens.

If everyone isn't on the same page, things can get pretty disjointed out there. Even when they got room, I think the D are guilty of playing catch with eachother a little too much; which will lead to the forwards getting too high, as you mentioned. I never played much forward, but it used to really piss me off when they couldn't make up their melons back there :laugh:

I felt bad for Ference the 1st couple of games he played on the right side. I'm a lefty D too, and I freakin' hate playing that side; especially in the offensive zone. Trying to pull those pucks off the wall on your backhand with a winger in your face and then try to make a play, is damn hard. Even feeding it back down is kinda difficult. The last thing you wanna do is take half a second too long. He adjusted well though, I thought.

Agree on the line changes as well. Specifically, the forwards. Too many times on kinda long shifts, we're dumping it in and only getting 1 guy off at a time, and then having to back check it and play D anyway. I know they're just trying hard, but sometimes less is more.

More than anything though, I think a few guys just look really clumsy in the offensive zone, that are normally very coordinated. The passing (sending and receiving) has been off. Just enough that a guy in perfect position to make a play, suddenly turns into a guy battling for the puck, or laying flat on his back because he either couldn't handle a pass, or the puck wasn't where it was supposed to be.

Just a little bit off makes a big difference when every game means this much. They'll get it together. They got bodies coming back. Just gotta keep patient, keep grinding, and going to the right spots and things will turn.

This was a long damn month, but they ground out some tough points, and they're still in good shape.

Here's to a better April :cheers:

Last edited:

westernhome

Sep 21, 2011
I agree with you and also wonder about the wisdom of coaching staff to be practicing so much or so hard

wouldn't they all be better off with no practice for some weeks, playing a few times a week they should be fit already

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
Good eye. I'm seeing the same stuff for the most part.

#3 in particular. I think it probably has a lot to do with the injuries on D as well. I don't blame them. It's very much a rhythm thing with our breakouts and some of these guys are pretty new. I think a lot of teams are recognizing this and really getting in their faces. It's easy to get tunnel vision when that happens.

If everyone isn't on the same page, things can get pretty disjointed out there. Even when they got room, I think the D are guilty of playing catch with eachother a little too much; which will lead to the forwards getting too high, as you mentioned. I never played much forward, but it used to really piss me off when they couldn't make up their melons back there :laugh:

I felt bad for Ference the 1st couple of games he played on the right side. I'm a lefty D too, and I freakin' hate playing that side; especially in the offensive zone. Trying to pull those pucks off the wall on your backhand with a winger in your face and then try to make a play, is damn hard. Even feeding it back down is kinda difficult. The last thing you wanna do is take half a second too long. He adjusted well though, I thought.

Agree on the line changes as well. Specifically, the forwards. Too many times on kinda long shifts, we're dumping it in and only getting 1 guy off at a time, and then having to back check it and play D anyway. I know they're just trying hard, but sometimes less is more.

More than anything though, I think a few guys just look really clumsy in the offensive zone, that are normally very coordinated. The passing (sending and receiving) has been off. Just enough that a guy in perfect position to make a play, suddenly turns into a guy battling for the puck, or laying flat on his back because he either couldn't handle a pass, or the puck wasn't where it was supposed to be.

Just a little bit off makes a big difference when every game means this much. They'll get it together. They got bodies coming back. Just gotta keep patient, keep grinding, and going to the right spots and things will turn.

This was a long damn month, but they ground out some tough points, and they're still in good shape.

Here's to a better April :cheers:
I don't know what the hell this guy just wrote but on the Habs out of town thread the Montreal fans were saying Boston is too slow and boring and they have the formula to beat you guys, also they expect the Bruins to decline soon. Thoughts?

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
I don't know what the hell this guy just wrote but on the Habs out of town thread the Montreal fans were saying Boston is too slow and boring and they have the formula to beat you guys, also they expect the Bruins to decline soon. Thoughts?

I'm sure the B's do look slow and boring compared to their team. I have no problem with that. We play completely different styles.

I'm no expert on the Habs style of play, but they're a damn fast team and they can score fast. Our team plays a much more methodical offensive style from the back end out, and they can score too...not so much lately, but it does happen, believe it or not ;)

Both teams are capable of beating the other any given night. If they do have an advantage, it would be that the Bruins seem to be incapable of keeping their heads against them some nights; and Montreal's PP is absolutely lethal compared to ours. Then again, we have the best PK in the league, so it's pretty much a wash.

It's no secret. We hate them, and they hate us. We just hate them more :laugh: They play that card well, and sometimes it burns us. If that's their "formula", they can have it. As usual, we'll see what style wins out in the playoffs when the refs put the whistles away ;)

But as for the decline their fans are praying for; I hope they hold their breath on that 1. We'll be almost 12 mil under the cap next year (I think?)and our core is all locked up with the exception of our goaltender. Plenty of room to make improvements on a team that's already a contender.

Keep in mind, these are the same fans who tried to run Carey Price out town. They don't know jack **** about the quality of their own players, nevermind ours :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I agree with you and also wonder about the wisdom of coaching staff to be practicing so much or so hard

wouldn't they all be better off with no practice for some weeks, playing a few times a week they should be fit already

Haven`t heard any reports about this team having rigorous practices

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
I know everybody plays the same total games. But, the Bruins schedule was backloaded. Just played 17 games in 30 days. That's kinda crazy when you think about it.

14 games in the next 4 weeks. Would have been 13 but the snowout caused an extra game in April. 9/14 are home and only one back to back. At NJ and back home. Not too strenuous travel wise. No back to back road games. Hope they get their legs a little. with some new additions.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I know everybody plays the same total games. But, the Bruins schedule was backloaded. Just played 17 games in 30 days. That's kinda crazy when you think about it.

14 games in the next 4 weeks. Would have been 13 but the snowout caused an extra game in April. 9/14 are home and only one back to back. At NJ and back home. Not too strenuous travel wise. No back to back road games. Hope they get their legs a little. with some new additions.

Sorry, it`s not like they played the first 5-7 games of those 17 like a team possessed. They have played well below their capabilities and have played with jump of a turtle. I can be biased like many but there is no denying, this team hasn`t been nearly as sharp, focused and willing as we have become accustomed to seeing over the years.

Fatigue happens, slumps occur, part of the game, this team better be "saving it" for the playoffs for if not.......

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
All teams, even good ones, go through a rough patch or two over the course of the season. The way in which that team rebounds from that rough patch generally defines who they are.

The 2011 team was able to rebound and find their game. To this point, this team has not. Until they do that, people are going to be pessimistic about their playoff chances. We know they have the ability to play better, they just need to actually do it.

How they rebound from this will define the team. If they show the enough resolve to get up off the mat and learn from their mistakes, they will make a deep playoff run, if not, they might make an early exit. We'll see which one it ends up being.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad