Post-Game Talk: 5 minutes of work doesn't equal a win, Jets lose in OT 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Florida under Maurice THRIVING with some of the best metrics in the league. Jets under the new coach a basement dweller. Maurice wasn't the problem with this group. Poorly constructed roster by the GM. They are not just losing but getting blown the f*** out of the building both tonight and in LA with only Helle keeping them in it.

PLD useless... can't generate anything at 5v5. LOL @ anyone calling him a 1C. I'll take 2011-2016 Little any day over him
they literally have the same record at 5-3-1. they go about it different ways for sure though not going to dispute that. but to call one basement dweller and the other thriving is disingenuous.

FLA is a good team they've been generating chances & limiting chances against at v good rates so far. if they get their PP going - they average 8+ mins a game on the PP, but rank 29th in PP GF/60, they'll be hard to compete with.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd say the dzone issues last night were mostly on Pionk. First five alarm shift Pionk has a horrible gap and allows Smith to walk right in and that leads to the group scrambling to get back and 4 grade A chances later they get it out.

Second bad shift with the top line, team is attacking through the nz and Pionk gets stripped of the puck with only one dmen back and Vegas goes down with an odd man chance and gets extended zone time amd a bucket more of chances. This is aided by Wheeler just firing a no look breakout pass right back to the other team. Those two shifts were largely attributable to that lines awful metrics.
Our gap was atrocious all night, we were basically giving them our blueline. I think that was because the team was obviously tired and when you are afraid you are going to get turnstiled you back off

Need to start playing better, but glad Vezina Helle is back so far this year. Bank these points and try to move forward.

Haven't seen the makings of a Bowness team yet really, this team is eerily similar to all the past versions of the Jets. Maybe the players just are who they are.
How many games has Bowness been behind the bench? How many practices has he run since the reg season?

You can try to coach by proxy but there is no substitute for being there, in the moment, coaching in real time.

I have seen improvements already systematically, but some of the bad habits are still there and that in my mind is only reinforced in game

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Helle eating a steak dinner for free tonight. Scheifele with the "tight turn" equal to a cruise ship turning letting Eichel go to the net at half speed.
Scheifele always talks about how he wants to play against the other team's best players.

I hope someone on the Jets coaching staff has the balls to sit him down and show him the tape of just how that went for him against Eichel.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
they literally have the same record at 5-3-1. they go about it different ways for sure though not going to dispute that. but to call one basement dweller and the other thriving is disingenuous.

FLA is a good team they've been generating chances & limiting chances against at v good rates so far. if they get their PP going - they average 8+ mins a game on the PP, but rank 29th in PP GF/60, they'll be hard to compete with.

I mean it's almost like people forget that Florida was a top 3 team last year. It's not at all surprising that they are a very good team yet again.

It's not like Maurice has them playing any better then last year. He just has them continuing to play good hockey.

The Jets don't have nearly the same talent and depth as Florida. No idea why we are comparing our performance to theirs. Florida is still expected to be an elite team while we might develop into a 10-16 place team if we can improve on our all around schemes and consistency.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Our gap was atrocious all night, we were basically giving them our blueline. I think that was because the team was obviously tired and when you are afraid you are going to get turnstiled you back off

How many games has Bowness been behind the bench? How many practices has he run since the reg season?

You can try to coach by proxy but there is no substitute for being there, in the moment, coaching in real time.

I have seen improvements already systematically, but some of the bad habits are still there and that in my mind is only reinforced in game

Yeah -- reminds me of last season when Kompon was (understandably) absent, and the special teams were being coached remotely or by proxy, and it hella didn't work.

I expect to see some changes with Bowness back behind the bench.

I don't have the chance to watch many games live now but Pionk in particular seems to be playing his own game that has little to do with what's happening around him.

Reactions: Jet and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

We have had barely any practice time the last two weeks but we have three days off between our next game, then two days off between Saturdays game and the next one. That is followed by another three day break. I would expect to see a lot of strides made just due to having the practice time to reinforce the coaching.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Yes, BUT are you watching the games? lol
Maybe the players know it is Halloween and they are scaring the crap outta there fans!
That kinda play is no where near sustainable.

yes, I do watch the games

As I said earlier, we're 5-3-1 and second in our division.

Not bad considering we have a tough stretch of opponents in the first 6 games, being down a key top 6 forward, plus having 4 rooks in the lineup

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yes - but ..........
You can't count on being healthy all of the time. When Ehlers gets back, someone else will go down. We need better depth if we can't handle 1 injury in the top 6. And where will we be if Morrissey or DeMelo get hurt? Or Helle, Scheifele, Dubois?

But it is nice to have a bottom 6 that can hold their own. That, at least, is progress.
Or Perfetti in for Dubois/ schief at centre and the team plays better as soon as Ehlers gets back. If mo goes down hopefully Heinola runs with the opportunities and our pp improves. Helle goes down the way we are playing it’s over.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I suspect that if there is to be significant iimprovement it happens in the next 3 weeks. The team has three blocks with 3 days off between games to practice in that time.

Whereas the schedule really only allowed for a couple of practices the first 9 games we should get at the bare minimum 7 practices over the next 6 games. That should be plenty of time iron out the schemes and reinforce/correct good/bad play in those games.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Or Perfetti in for Dubois/ schief at centre and the team plays better as soon as Ehlers gets back. If mo goes down hopefully Heinola runs with the opportunities and our pp improves. Helle goes down the way we are playing it’s over.

The point is that if you have to count on being healthy all the time to be competitive, you are in trouble.

Reactions: surixon

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I agree with a lot of this as it applies to this particular game. But you have to take the good with the bad as far as this board is concerned. The posters who seem to you to never be happy are, for the most part, happy when the team plays well and unhappy when they keep seeing the same bad play year after year. That is not unreasonable.
Fair point and what you describe certainly applies to some posters. There are "glass half empty" folk around here who are definitely reasonable and interesting to discuss with. I think it must be acknowledged that there are some who are never happy (despite protestations to the contrary).

If I'm responding to you that means I consider you one of the reasonable ones (not that you need my approval).

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Scheifele always talks about how he wants to play against the other team's best players.

I hope someone on the Jets coaching staff has the balls to sit him down and show him the tape of just how that went for him against Eichel.
I think he wants to play against the other team's top scorers because he figures they will have a weak defensive game (like him) and provide him more opportunities to collect points. And if he gets scored on? He can just brush that off with a "hey, they're their top scorers, nobody's going to shut them down completely". In ScheifMe's mind, it's a no-lose match-up. As for being gassed after playing 3 shifts in a 5 minute OT in the first month of the season, how the f*** is this guy going to be of any use after an 80 game season and heading into playoff games that can last 1 or 2 or 3 or more full periods of OT? Maybe he deserves the nickname Wheezer. Get this guy an oxygen tank.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I mean it's almost like people forget that Florida was a top 3 team last year. It's not at all surprising that they are a very good team yet again.

It's not like Maurice has them playing any better then last year. He just has them continuing to play good hockey.

The Jets don't have nearly the same talent and depth as Florida. No idea why we are comparing our performance to theirs. Florida is still expected to be an elite team while we might develop into a 10-16 place team if we can improve on our all around schemes and consistency.

Yes, FLA was a great team last year, but I think we need to acknowledge that Maurice hasn't exactly been coaching the same team ... Weegar and Huberdeau gone, Ekblad and Duclair on LTIR. Under those conditions I don't think that it's nothing for Maurice to be keeping them on track with continuing to play good hockey.

That said, I agree it's comparing apples to oranges to try comparing the Jets to the Panthers.

Reactions: Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes, FLA was a great team last year, but I think we need to acknowledge that Maurice hasn't exactly been coaching the same team ... Weegar and Huberdeau gone, Ekblad and Duclair on LTIR. Under those conditions I don't think that it's nothing for Maurice to be keeping them on track with continuing to play good hockey.

That said, I agree it's comparing apples to oranges to try comparing the Jets to the Panthers.

Sure but they do have Tkachuk now who is a better and younger player then Huberdeau and Moe's dream player type lol.

Still he is definitely doing a good job so far. He did a good job for us as well the first 5 years here as well. He's a solid coach and has a good team.

I'll wait a bit to see what ours turns into throughout the year.

Reactions: GNP and ERYX

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Fair point and what you describe certainly applies to some posters. There are "glass half empty" folk around here who are definitely reasonable and interesting to discuss with. I think it must be acknowledged that there are some who are never happy (despite protestations to the contrary).

If I'm responding to you that means I consider you one of the reasonable ones (not that you need my approval).

:laugh: Yes, there are a few who it seems are not willing to listen to reason. Really not many though. Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree.

Sometimes I think it is like, 'I may not know as much as the pro coaches and GM's, but I know what I see that I don't like'. :laugh:

Reactions: Inanna and ERYX

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
JetsFan815 said:
Florida under Maurice THRIVING with some of the best metrics in the league. Jets under the new coach a basement dweller.

Thriving? Both teams are 5-3-1, with the exact same goal differential.
This is what makes me shake my head about HFBoards.

We have the exact same record as Florida but someone claims they are THRIVING while the Jets are awful. Whatever happened to facts and accuracy and common sense and maybe a hundred other things that seem to have gone down the toilet in the past couple of years?

Okay, so I'm old and cranky and maybe clueless.

But thankfully I live in reality and not the world inhabited by some folks here.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
I didn't like how this team played on this trio but we emerge with 5 of 6 points and have escaped the hellish start of our schedule.

Helle stole that point.

I'm going to call out coaching tonight, they didn't adapt to the opposition and played right into their hands whacking it up the wall into a scrum the first half of the game. That plays right into their hands as they are a much bigger and more physical team then us. We tried to turn it into trench game and we are going to get killed against them everyday trying to play that way. Once we started skating a d making plays we had a bit more luck. The OT deployment wasn't great and we overplayed Mark and Conner the back half of the OT and they had no gas in the end in Jack's goal.

Not many positives tonight.

Fourth line was good.
I like that Cole is getting inside and shooting a lot . Him doing that will start to open up other passing lanes as they gravitate towards taking his shot away.
Hopefully Bowness is mentoring Arniel nightly on all this and we might see some positive changes..
If we don’t, it would suggest that either Bowness isn’t following up on these gaffs, or Interim HC Arniel is either not getting it or can’t communicate it to the players between games..
Do we have anybody watching practices?

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE

if the talking point(s) is paurice, ole cement legs and/or le chef boi, the levels of bias and nuthuggery from him are off the richter scale. so much so that it destablizes haarp.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if the talking point(s) is paurice, ole cement legs and/or le chef boi, the levels of bias and nuthuggery from him are off the richter scale. so much so that it destablizes haarp.
1667272574367.png

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
This is what makes me shake my head about HFBoards.

We have the exact same record as Florida but someone claims they are THRIVING while the Jets are awful. Whatever happened to facts and accuracy and common sense and maybe a hundred other things that seem to have gone down the toilet in the past couple of years?

Okay, so I'm old and cranky and maybe clueless.

But thankfully I live in reality and not the world inhabited by some folks here.

In a sample size of 9 games, it is absolutely the case that one 5-3-1 team can be a good team who's been unlucky and the other 5-3-1 team is a bad team that's been profoundly lucky. This is why there are billions upon billions of dollars across countless industries whose sole job is to measure luck in a useful and comparative way -- because results-oriented thinking pokes the eyes out of far too many people.

I mean, remember Eric Comrie who, after 3 games, was showing us how "f***ing stupid" we were for not qualifying him with an offer? Like seriously, people like Scott Billicek and about a zillion drones on Twitter were like "lol Y U NO EXTEND COMRIE" well after a whopping total of 6 games, he's now a .902 and WHO knew that his 500 shots against in Winnipeg (in a stat where people say it takes 2,000 to even approach a reasonable sample size) might just have been a fluke for a career .904 goaltender?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

idk ive read commentary on this boards that they wont be a PO team, maurice will sink them etc. so seems like some folks (whether big or small) had them not performing well.

anyway i think it's pretty obvious why the comparison of FLA exits? they have our former coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad