Post-Game Talk: #5| FLYERS at Dallas |Sat., Oct. 18, 2014|

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think it'll be next year. This year is going to be the flashes of the monster he'll be next year. Next year he'll put it together consistently, and then in 3 years the main boards will finally catch on.

He is in quite a nice little niche as well for a good shot at a Selke in his mid to late 20's. So long as he can hit 50+... partially due to how good a rep he should have built by then, he will be a perennial contender.

Couturiers first top 10 in Selke voting was aged 21.
Staals was aged 21.
Toews was aged 22.
Richards was aged 22.
Kopitar was aged 23.
Bergerons was aged 24.
Kesler was aged 24.
Zetterberg was aged 25.
Backes was aged 26.
Datsyuk was aged 29.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I posted a thread about that season on the analytics board. I said that he should have won the hart that year and some advanced hockey stat guys listed him and ovie as the two favriotes

For 3 years he was just, pretty unbelievable... I mean, just as good as Toews and Kopitar are now in a similar kind of vein as a player.

He still was great even for LA in his first two playoffs there.

I am so glad the guy has won everything there is to win... a lot has been said about him, but on ice there are very few players I have seen play in their prime who had as big an effect on a hockey game. Every-time he was on the ice in all three game situations he threatened to change the game in all manner of ways.

Even I as a massive Richards fan forget how special a player he was in that 'brief' window of time.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Alright, finally finished this game up. I'm so damned relieved to see a win.

-This was B Schenn's best game in a long-ass time.

-Couturier is still Couturiering very nicely.

-Good for Raffl getting that goal. He had a solid night, as he often does, and it was nice to see him get a reward.

-Tale of two Reads. The guy is inconsistent seemingly shift to shift this year. One shift he'll look like himself, next shift he'll be struggling and so on.

-MDZ is great when his own team has the puck. When the other team has the puck I'm terrified. I don't think that unfortunate set of skills is going to work for a dman, and I found myself wondering what he could look like as a winger. Probably not good :laugh:

-I hated Berube's decision to put in Emery. There was no reason for it, and lessened the team's chances of victory. Leaving him in with 3 seconds left was pointless, too.

-Simmonds is looking consistently good 5v5 this year. It's lasted 5 games now, here's hoping he's turned a corner.

-As good of a game as Rinaldo can play. He was disruptive, and not of his own team. But as well as he was playing, Berube's decision to double shift him twice (I think it was twice, most definitely once) was just more moronic favoritism on his part.

-Bellemare should have 2-3 goals so far this year, that shot is fantastic and he's always missing by an inch. If he can play at this level all year he's going to rival the Read signing.

-Grossmann...well. He's Grossmann. MacDonald continues to be a decent dman doing more than he should be asked to do, which seems to be a perpetual role for at least one guy in the Flyers D group the last 2-3 years. MacDonald can be really soft on D at times but at least he can keep up with the play, Dallas was skating by Grossmann.

-That's just how we're gonna have to win a lot of games this year. We can't rely on our D. Gotta just outscore other teams while trusting in Mason and praying feverishly with Emery in. Which brings me back to Del Zotto...guy can bring the offense. Even with Coburn back, without Timonen the D group is damned weak, so might as well have someone who can generate offense. Lord knows there isn't really anyone who's gonna fix the defense, not yet. It's tempting to say they should go "**** it" and go all in on offense instead of trying. Won't get them anywhere in the playoffs if they make it, though.

This ends your Beef musings. Cheers.

1384389056483842_animate.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For 3 years he was just, pretty unbelievable... I mean, just as good as Toews and Kopitar are now in a similar kind of vein as a player.

He still was great even for LA in his first two playoffs there.

I am so glad the guy has won everything there is to win... a lot has been said about him, but on ice there are very few players I have seen play in their prime who had as big an effect on a hockey game. Every-time he was on the ice in all three game situations he threatened to change the game in all manner of ways.

Even I as a massive Richards fan forget how special a player he was in that 'brief' window of time.

In 09-10 he could have probably had 5-10 more points had Gagne been capable of finishing the nonstop scoring chances Richards made for him and served up on a silver platter which was carried on an even bigger silver platter. He was trying so hard to get Simon going.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
-I hated Berube's decision to put in Emery. There was no reason for it, and lessened the team's chances of victory. Leaving him in with 3 seconds left was pointless, too.

Mason did not cope well with the team defense ******** the bed and giving up four goals against NJ. After that happened he gave up a soft fifth goal to lose the game.

Pulling him tonight was the right move.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Mason did not cope well with the team defense ******** the bed and giving up four goals against NJ. After that happened he gave up a soft fifth goal to lose the game.

If Mason doesn't have what it takes to play behind this team and compensate for the D and even steal some games for them, then why is he here?

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia

That was also the 2nd night of a back to back. Could have very well just been fatigue. Or maybe he just let in a poorly timed softie - it happens.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He is in quite a nice little niche as well for a good shot at a Selke in his mid to late 20's. So long as he can hit 50+... partially due to how good a rep he should have built by then, he will be a perennial contender.

Couturiers first top 10 in Selke voting was aged 21.
Staals was aged 21.
Toews was aged 22.
Richards was aged 22.
Kopitar was aged 23.
Bergerons was aged 24.
Kesler was aged 24.
Zetterberg was aged 25.
Backes was aged 26.
Datsyuk was aged 29.

Kind of surprised it took Bergeron that long considering he entered the league at 18-19 (although he got his sophomore season wiped away with the lockout).

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Couturier looks like he's a year or two from going full cannon.

I'm really hoping. His skating looks so much better this year. The play he made to beat out the icing (that led to his goal) is something I don't think he could do in the past. Maybe it was the sports hernia last year, or maybe he's just putting the work in, but it shows.

And I think a lot of our Stanley Cup hopes hinge on him, honestly. You absolutely need that #2, defensive center to win a cup. We've got our #1 guy in Giroux, hopefully a decent defense in a few years with Ghost, Sanheim, and Morin, but if Couturier or Laughton don't become the guy that can play behind Giroux, the future doesn't look as bright.

Edit: Just re-watched the highlights, don't think Couts goal would have been icing after all. I think Jones might have had the red line. :laugh:

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Re-wathcing the game; 5 minutes left in the 2nd period, but I have read through the GDT... manic-depressive to say the least. :laugh:

Great character win.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Totes agreed.

Holy balls, look who is out of hibernation. :amazed:

Finished the game... again, incredible character win. They carried play well in the first two periods and again, after Dallas parked the bus in the third.

Will be a fun team to watch this year, but will give up a lot of goals unless they play defense as a 5-man unit.

... and Bellemare is awesome; hope he finds his scoring touch, but he makes a great depth forward as is.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Team defense still an issue. Umberger looked sedated out there, no jump to his game at all and always a step late paired with AHL like puck handling. He was worse defensively than any other Flyers forward on the ice including Rinaldo, which is just brutal.

As far as the defense is concerned I think Del Zotto had a good game and showed his ability to skate the puck out of the zone. Mac Donald was all over the place paired with different people but also struggled cleaning up the mess for them at times. Streit is currently our #1 and we can only hope and pray that he can last a whole season playing north of 25 minutes a night. The rest are just dime of dozen bottom pairing defensemen and it showed....

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
If i miss a game i always check the final score before watching it, glad i didn't do that this time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Team defense still an issue. Umberger looked sedated out there, no jump to his game at all and always a step late paired with AHL like puck handling. He was worse defensively than any other Flyers forward on the ice including Rinaldo, which is just brutal.

I feel like Umberger is never there. We were told how much of a better skater and versatile he was. I never see him, I know he was on the ice for one goal, and it was his skate that cut Nemeth. But no one ever sees what it is he's doing.

SgtJoseph*

Holy balls, look who is out of hibernation. :amazed:

Finished the game... again, incredible character win. They carried play well in the first two periods and again, after Dallas parked the bus in the third.

Will be a fun team to watch this year, but will give up a lot of goals unless they play defense as a 5-man unit.

... and Bellemare is awesome; hope he finds his scoring touch, but he makes a great depth forward as is.

The key phrase here is " Play D as a 5 man unit " . I agree 100% with that !

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
On the ice... It was his deflection in front that enabled Couturier to score.

But he's always late and slow, and worse defensively than Rinaldo. :laugh: This place is a gold mine for people peddling their predetermined narratives which don't reflect what happened on the ice.

Last edited:

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
I was at that game in Ebola town :P

There were a fair amount of Flyers fans in the stands. I had my Simmonds jersey on. Wow - that game was maddening to actually be in the stands. It really seemed like they were gonna lose yet again - for the 5th time in a row. To go in to overtime and actually pull it out - just wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00