$5.4 million cap space on Tyler Kennedy, Adam Burish, and Mike Brown

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
That is the market for free agency...Kennedy's contract was very fair when he signed it.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I personally do not have much issues with Mike Brown. I know that we should rather be playing our prospects but at Brown is a fast skater and hard working player who will drop his gloves when needed.

Kennedy has a decent contract but it just sucks because his type of game never fit into the Sharks style. No one to blame for that than DW. He should have already known this.

Burish. Enough said.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I like Brown and think he's a great fit at a decent Cap rate.

Burish sucks and i think will be the team whipping boy next season.

Kennedy does not appear to be a good fit on the team and i doubt his production or contribution will ever match his cap hit, whipping boy #2 for me.

:cry::cry:

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Kennedy needs to go.

Burish is fine cap wise though he's 100% useless and Brown is a decent player on our 4th line 1.2m vs 71m is peanuts

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
I wholeheartedly agree with every post thus far in this thread. With tk not even playing one game in the POs, you gotta thing hes a goner, why burish hasn't already been sent is beyond me.

I don't get the hate brown gets here, at least he's fast, skates hard and who can argue with that stashe.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah if you look at the money we have combined in guys who are not 12th or best forward on the team you're looking at the ability to sign Grabovski, Niskanen, and Vanek (Vanek technically costs an extra $.4M but still)

Add what we're going to be paying to Scott Hannan and you can sign any UFA

Not saying these players would have came here automatically if we offered them the same $ figure, but it's interesting food for thought. This doesn't even include cap dumps that are still useful NHL players, like Hartnell, which there will be plenty more of. It's just poor asset management.

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
Torres and brown were the bash bros in games 1,2 vs Kings...I liked the physicality

This. Simply the best 4th line the Sharks fielded in awhile. Brown won his contract in the playoffs.

Kennedy the jury is still out--only has one year left.
Burrish hasn't really found a niche, but at under 2mil for the next two years, makes him easy to package in a trade or manage. Considering all the no-names getting 2.9+ a year makes Burrish a bargain.
Scott I know nothing about--will wait and see.

I think OPs intentions are having a reverse effect. If 5.4 or 6.1 for four "bottom 6" players is the teams biggest problem, the GM is doing a great job cap wise.

Grade what our top players--Thornton, Marleau, Pavs, Vlasic--are making against other tops. Wilson is beating the market.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Strange how he gets bounced around...

I can't tell if you are or not and I don't think you are, but if you're saying that this is okay because grabovski sucks or whatever, there are plenty of other UFAs and cap dumps we could have picked up.

It's not $6.1M for good bottom 6 players. It's players who aren't in the top-12 of our forward group. Our top players are making slightly less than the players you are comparing them to because * GASP * they are actually slightly worse.

TimAllen

Feb 1, 2010
Bay Area
Grade what our top players--Thornton, Marleau, Pavs, Vlasic--are making against other tops. Wilson is beating the market.

But that means that he has more money to sign good bottom 6 players. That makes the fact that he signs terrible players even worse.

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
But that means that he has more money to sign good bottom 6 players. That makes the fact that he signs terrible players even worse.

There's always an overreaction when DW signs these cheap players. I remember the JR and Nichol signing had people tripping out, but worked out.

We really don't need to sign more forwards, the fact that Havlat, Kennedy and Burrish had a hard time cracking is great sign that players like Wingels, Sheppard, Hertl and Desarjdans have stepped up.

We're really a blueline away from winning the Cup

TimAllen

Feb 1, 2010
Bay Area
There's always an overreaction when DW signs these cheap players. I remember the JR and Nichol signing had people tripping out, but worked out.

We really don't need to sign more forwards, the fact that Havlat, Kennedy and Burrish had a hard time cracking is great sign that players like Wingels, Sheppard, Hertl and Desarjdans have stepped up.

We're really a blueline away from winning the Cup

I agree. But him spending money on terrible forwards isn't addressing the blue line, it's just taking spots away from younger and better players.

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
I agree. But him spending money on terrible forwards isn't addressing the blue line, it's just taking spots away from younger and better players.

Nothing wrong with bringing competition to camp. If younger players deserve to play ahead of vets so be it. Had no problem dressing Hertl, Sheppard, Desi over Havlat or Kennedy last year. We have plenty of cap space (14+ million). There's no play for the blueline unless we make a big trade. It'd have to be Hetl, Couture, or Pavs plus prospects/picks for a quality D.

Can't see teams trading for Jumbo or Patty with their reps and contracts. NTCs have really gotten a bad rap this offseason with the Spezza drama.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Nothing wrong with bringing competition to camp. If younger players deserve to play ahead of vets so be it. Had no problem dressing Hertl, Sheppard, Desi over Havlat or Kennedy last year. We have plenty of cap space (14+ million). There's no play for the blueline unless we make a big trade. It'd have to be Hetl, Couture, or Pavs plus prospects/picks for a quality D.

Can't see teams trading for Jumbo or Patty with their reps and contracts. NTCs have really gotten a bad rap this offseason with the Spezza drama.
and they said they are not waiving. Thank god

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad