Post-Game Talk: 5-4 Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well let me know when the Oilers ever beat a good club.

Going back to my point being that the Flames have had a much harder schedule.

We haven't started to play the hurt in the WC yet. Calgary has already played most of the good WC clubs.

That aside the Leafs were plain ****** against us that game. very weak effort and the worst defensive play we've faced. That game was a coaches nightmare all round. I have no idea how the leafs are doing well.

Yeah no kidding and this is probably the most disconcerting part of the season thus far is that the Oilers played mostly eastern teams and these are supposed to be the teams that they match up well against. The Oilers haven't even played the teams that are matchup nightmares for them. I bet the Kings, Blues, Ducks and Sharks are chomping at the bit to play the Oilers.
The season feels over already and it's not even Halloween. Kill me now.

StanDarsh

Jan 24, 2012
Calgary is definitely trying harder then I have ever seen them play in years. Though not sure how long they can keep that style of play up especially without a true number 1 goalie. Its going to be deflating for them just like it is here when Ramo starts to leak in goals.

If they still had Kipper though their record would be much better. Having an elite goalie makes all the difference. I don't see them making it to far with the 2 back up caliber goalies they have.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
yeah no idea why he didn't keep dubnyk in the game... this loss is as much on eakins as it is on labarbera to be honest... if you can't tell that labarbera didn't have it today, then you shouldn't be in charge of the goalies

It seemed to me as though labarbera said something to eakins, arco, the team when he came off in a rage...I bet eakins said OK we'll see what ya got

Last edited:

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Re: Calgary, they will come down to Earth, but have 2 D men who are better than any Oilers D in Giordano and Wideman. Oilers could turn around the season with the addition of an actual top pairing defenseman. Remember when we had Hamrlik, Niinimaa and BoBo Mironov and an unheralded Devries? Our D is the problem and has been since Pronger was dealt and Spacek left. Management has failed to acquire or develop truly high end defensemen.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Re: Calgary, they will come down to Earth, but have 2 D men who are better than any Oilers D in Giordano and Wideman. Oilers could turn around the season with the addition of an actual top pairing defenseman. Remember when we had Hamrlik, Niinimaa and BoBo Mironov and an unheralded Devries? Our D is the problem and has been since Pronger was dealt and Spacek left. Management has failed to acquire or develop truly high end defensemen.

Giordano is injured IIRC.

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
We were leading until halfway mark in the 3rd period then imploded. Top line needs to chip in more here. Bottom 6 were getting it done and for most of the game Smith was giving greasy rebounds.

Yak failed to clear the puck to give Yotes a goal in transition. On a positive note he bloody passed the puck to let Nuge wire it.

I have no idea why Eakins put Jason back in the game. WTF ? This club has had very few goalies that could actually steal a game. Roli was probably the last one and then before that you have to go all the way back to Cujo. If it were me I would pull up Bachman as JL isn't the cure for our hangover.

I am not a big fan of Eakins putting players on the PK that really haven't had much experience. Nuge and Ebs should focus more on putting the puck in the net.

We might have a chance against LA as they will figure it will be a walk in the park and we might get the jump on them. That being said our team can't hold a lead very well.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Giordano is injured IIRC.

Point? Giordano and Wideman are better ROSTER players than anyone we have. J Schultz was also very over-hyped. Goal is an issue, but all goalies look worse behind shoddy defense.

Obviously the fans will tolerate the losing. They still buy the tickets and gear. But will the young stars stick with the team for 3 or 4 more years? That's how long it will take to build a legit playoff defense from the ground up. I can see Yak bolting for the KHL after this season and demanding a trade - and the Oilers will then be selling low. What a mess. No sense of urgency from MacT either, even just to bring up Bachman for a game to send a message to Labarbera that his job isn't safe.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Flames are a strange bunch, when they spent a ton of money on Iginla, Cammalleri, Jokinen, Bouweemester, Phaneuf, Regher, Kipper, etc. they'd under achieve, this year they're playing hard with a roster less star studded.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I can't imagine how deflating it must be to play in front of these goalies.

The goalies have a .774 SV% when RNH is on the ice.

He's essentially going into a game thinking he can't allow 5 shots or they'll score.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
OEL and Yandle are legit top pairing Dmen. Wish we had one of them...

Our goalies suck. I think the UofA goalie would make these two ****** bags look like...well...****** bags.

The last goal we scored (RNH shot off of Jones who was screening the goalie) is EXACTLY what this team needs to do to start scoring some PP goals. Get a man or two in front and get Schultz or Yakupov to take some shots from the inside the blueline--preferably somewhere near the middle (top of the slot), but ANYWHERE will do it, and goals will start to go in if they were to keep shooting pucks with a man or two in front. They're trying too much cutesy **** on the PP, and it's time to cut that crap out.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
OEL and Yandle are legit top pairing Dmen. Wish we had one of them...

Our goalies suck. I think the UofA goalie would make these two ****** bags look like...well...****** bags.

The last goal we scored (RNH shot off of Jones who was screening the goalie) is EXACTLY what this team needs to do to start scoring some PP goals. Get a man or two in front and get Schultz or Yakupov to take some shots from the inside the blueline--preferably somewhere near the middle (top of the slot), but ANYWHERE will do it, and goals will start to go in if they were to keep shooting pucks with a man or two in front. They're trying too much cutesy **** on the PP, and it's time to cut that crap out.

RNH's shot seems much more dangerous from the middle of the ice than it does from the side angles ... we should probably try to get him that shot more often, especially on the PP.

One shot led to a goal, the other one beat Smith clean but caught the post.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
RNH's shot seems much more dangerous from the middle of the ice than it does from the side angles ... we should probably try to get him that shot more often, especially on the PP.

One shot led to a goal, the other one beat Smith clean but caught the post.

That's one big positive: RNH's shot has never looked better, and it's light years ahead of how he was shooting last year. Looks like the surgery was a huge success. He has a better wrister than Yakupov right now (not that that's necessarily saying much, but you get my point). Yeah, I would like to see RNH on the point with Schultz on the PP. He's got the hands and vision to sneak into the top of the slot and get some killer shots away. Once again, need a man in front. If Jones is willing to keep battling in front of the net, then put him on the PP. We NEED guys in front of the net on the PP; that's the only way pucks are going to start going in for us at a decent rate. Look at PHX's PP goals: point shots with 2 guys in front.

I don't think this is a bad team. But we need a goalie, and we could use a true top pairing defenseman. If MacT can somehow pull that off, this team will DEFINITELY start winning more games than it's losing. Even if he could just get a goalie that would help a LOT. We really do need a goalie no matter what, though. Even IF Dubie returns to his form of last season and brings up his save %, he was still letting in bad, team-deflating goals at bad times. A new goalie really is a must. I'd prefer Yann Danis over these two clowns right now. Might even be worth taking a look at Bachman. He was damn solid for the Stars last season (though his numbers don't really show it--that was a really bad team, keep in mind).

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Of all those goalies, Ellis is the only one with similar numbers to LaBarbera, and even then his save percentage is 40 points higher. Just horrible by MacT.
You really have to wonder what he was thinking.

I'm not even near pushing the panic button with MacT (or Eakins). And I find it somewhat strange that many posters here who were gung ho for the tank for three years on this board are suddenly now demanding that MacT produce them a winning roster. Why now? I mean does anybody think one off-season, one draft and a dozen games is enough time to fill all the gaping holes Tamby left on this roster?

But your point on the goaltending is legit. MacT fumbled that badly. Given that he had little faith in Dubnyk as a starter he had to know that it was imperative he have at least one other guy who could play the position at the NHL level. Even casual fans of the NHL know Labarbera is not that guy. He may have been one of the worst choices from among what was available. And as you say ... if Dan freaking Ellis is looking like an upgrade then you are deep deep ****.

So why did MacT pick this guy? Is he an expert on goalies? I don't think so. Someone must have advised him that Labarbera was the guy to sign. I'm thinking Chabot is due to get fired one of these days. WTF has this guy ever done for the team? The only decent goalie we've had in the last ten years (apologies to Khabibulin because I think he was decent but just too old and broken down) was Roloson, and if I remember correctly he had problems with the Oilers goaltending coaches and rejected their advice.

Look what Roy has done for the Avs goalies. Can you imagine getting instructed by a guy like Patrick Roy?

Nice to see you post btw Roof Daddy.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
At what point does Katz ask "WTF is going on here?"
Let me answer that for you.
I guarantee he will do absolutely nothing until the new arena opens.
When doors open on the new rink, Katz will only act if for some reason attendance and merchandise sales fall off.
Hell, every first round draft choice probably adds a million dollars in merchandise sales. Losing pays.

I dont think Katz has the balls to hold one of his buddies responsible for the current state of this team.
Good, because he's the one responsible. He should be looking in the mirror. This was an honest hard-working team that made the playoffs more often than not until Katz took over. I believe he is personally responsible for the direction the team has taken since he strong armed the EIG aside.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I was surprised Lowe didn't go after a more experienced back-up

TGO and his coaching wrecked the Coyotes and the way it looks Kevin Lowe is wrecking the Oilers.

What with the way Oiler fans ***** like little girls about Kevin Lowe I guess I can understand how fans from other sides might get confused. Let me help.

Kevin Lowe hasn't been the GM of the Oilers since 2008. He hasn't been the guy making the player roster calls since 2008. He's now a paper pusher and a lackey for the owner.

Spread it around your boards.

Holy hell. This team has proper taken the piss out of me to the point that i'm seriously considering not bothering to watch next game. Honestly, how insultingly bad you have to be to turn away even those who are well accustomed to constant losing already?
I set my alarm for 4:30 intending to wake up and watch the game.
Somehow when it went off my subconscious brain knew better ;)

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Emery has even less wins in Philly than Labarbera has here.

0-2-0, .873sv% and 4.03 GAA.

Reimer might be an option but I don't think the Leafs trade him until they figure out who their #1 is.

Giguere's a good backup, does Colorado part with him for a 4th in 2015?
No. Our goalie prospects aren't ready for the NHL (close but not ready) and his veteran presence is too valuable.
Edit: He also has a NMC and I don't think he would want to be traded to the Oilers at this point.

Edit:
Look what Roy has done for the Avs goalies. Can you imagine getting instructed by a guy like Patrick Roy?
Roy isn't the goalie coach. Allaire is.

Last edited:

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Calgary is making an identity for themselves by working hard and we, on the other hand, have a bunch of passers who look for a beauty goal and refuse to get dirty.

Not the players' fault, they got into the league with pure skill. Eakins is trying to turn them into PK'ers and play them 40 minutes a game.

No sane NHL coach makes decisions like Eakins does and we are regressing instead of getting better. Too many coaches and not enough brains in that department.

And to keep the staff from last year because of who they are is ridiculous, our special teams suck.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Flames are a strange bunch, when they spent a ton of money on Iginla, Cammalleri, Jokinen, Bouweemester, Phaneuf, Regher, Kipper, etc. they'd under achieve, this year they're playing hard with a roster less star studded.

Sort of like when we didn't have 6-million players.
Remember how we used to make the playoffs in the late 90s?

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure what the price for Bernier would've been, but let's look at the trade:

Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens, and a 2nd. First of all, we didn't have a Scrivens to give up, unless that was Dubnyk. Frattin was a servicable guy who put up a decent 7 goals, 6 assists for 13 points in 25 games last year. I'm not sure who an Oilers comparable would be. Maybe Pajaarvi?

The second likely becomes a first for us, which means no Nurse.

So we're looking at a trade that involves Dubnyk, PRV (or someone better), and a first for a backup goalie that has the potential to be a #1.

Also I don't think Khudobin wanted to sign here. I would've liked to have picked him up too but if he doesn't want to sign with us, what can you do?

Bravo for being rational. All your points are solid, Schneider - excessive overpaying, Bernier- some teams aren't good trading partners, Khudobin - some players don't want to come here.

LaBarbera was the best option for a backup, and I cannot second guess MacT on this, he is easily the most consistent backup out there, and I'm not going to say he sucks now because of a few bad games when he has a years of history saying he's more reliable than this. Maybe he'll pull a Belanger and drop off a cliff but I'm not ready to tie him to the stake just yet.

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006
Well let me know when the Oilers ever beat a good club.

Going back to my point being that the Flames have had a much harder schedule.

We haven't started to play the hurt in the WC yet. Calgary has already played most of the good WC clubs.

That aside the Leafs were plain ****** against us that game. very weak effort and the worst defensive play we've faced. That game was a coaches nightmare all round. I have no idea how the leafs are doing well.

Special teams, goaltending and balanced scoring.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
@JSportsnet
Coyotes Martin Hanzal will have a hearing on Monday for his elbow to Jeff Petry's head Saturday afternoon vs Oilers.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
@JSportsnet
Coyotes Martin Hanzal will have a hearing on Monday for his elbow to Jeff Petry's head Saturday afternoon vs Oilers.
Anyone have a video of the hit? I didn't even know anything happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad