Staples Twitter: 5/31 Stape Chat!

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Couple things I want to touch on

- I'd probably take Brodin for Lee considering age and contract status, but only if a replacement (Kovy) is brought in.
- I wouldn't mind trading one of the 1sts for any goaltender as long as that goaltender has the same effect as Freddy Andersen.
- I'm not sure Carlson is the type of D this team needs. Depending on how much faith you have in advanced stats. Almost twice as many giveaways as takeaways, would have led the NYI in giveaways by a decent margin. His possession #'s aren't that great either. I'm not one to put too much stock in these metrics, but you're talking about committing a lot of money for a position the NYI sorely need to get right. His GAR is high, but again his 5v5 defense is atrocious and would easily have been the worst on the entire NYI team.

Tableau Public

- I hope the NYI give a good look at Nick Holden as a cheap bottom pairing option. He has good size, can play big minutes on either side and wouldn't break the bank. He would be good insurance if 55 gets hurt.

Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Couple things I want to touch on

- I'd probably take Brodin for Lee considering age and contract status, but only if a replacement (Kovy) is brought in.
- I wouldn't mind trading one of the 1sts for any goaltender as long as that goaltender has the same effect as Freddy Andersen.
- I'm not sure Carlson is the type of D this team needs. Depending on how much faith you have in advanced stats. Almost twice as many giveaways as takeaways, would have led the NYI in giveaways by a decent margin. His possession #'s aren't that great either. I'm not one to put too much stock in these metrics, but you're talking about committing a lot of money for a position the NYI sorely need to get right. His GAR is high, but again his 5v5 defense is atrocious and would easily have been the worst on the entire NYI team.

Tableau Public

- I hope the NYI give a good look at Nick Holden as a cheap bottom pairing option. He has good size, can play big minutes on either side and wouldn't break the bank. He would be good insurance if 55 gets hurt.

1. Rather have Lee - I also don't believe Fenton will trade Brodin - I feel that he will follow a similar model to Nashville. I think Nino is probably the player that gets dangled out in Minnesota. And if we do send out Lee, the proper replacement would be JVR - although I believe Lee is better net presence and working the boards.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
1. Rather have Lee - I also don't believe Fenton will trade Brodin - I feel that he will follow a similar model to Nashville. I think Nino is probably the player that gets dangled out in Minnesota. And if we do send out Lee, the proper replacement would be JVR - although I believe Lee is better net presence and working the boards.

Isles defense right now is scary without de Haan. I like Brodin, and like you would rather have Anders Lee but only in a vacuum. I believe this team is better with Kovy and Brodin than it is with Lee and whatever random D the Islanders pick up in free agency. I do think you can probably get Brodin without giving up Anders Lee, but now you're involving draft picks.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Isles defense right now is scary without de Haan. I like Brodin, and like you would rather have Anders Lee but only in a vacuum. I believe this team is better with Kovy and Brodin than it is with Lee and whatever random D the Islanders pick up in free agency. I do think you can probably get Brodin without giving up Anders Lee, but now you're involving draft picks.

I'd rather move Eberle for Brodie and keep Lee (and sign him long term). Replace Eberle with Kovy.

Kovy, Eberle, and Brodin or Lee, Kovy, and Brodie

Brodie replaces de Haan and is only signed to a very reasonable 4.5 for 2 years.
He had a tough season, but still logged 23+minutes a game, was + possession player, and still had 30 points.

I actually think that Having Leddy, Brodie, Pelech (who can also play RD) & Toews looks pretty promising.

Take a closer look -
T.J. Brodie Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

During the last lacrosse season I started to hear an interesting comment on ESPN from Quint Kessenich . . . "stats are for losers"

Carlson WINS GAMES, everywhere he's been.

WJC game winning OT goal in 2010 and follows up with a Calder Cup championship the same year after he turns Pro. And now it looks like he's going to win a Stanley Cup.

Has he EVER played on a team with a losing record? Winning games is NOT solely about numbers, it's about coming through when you need to, not some accumulation of a stat nerd's input.

Billy Smith (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

Look at his Save % and GAA in the regular season vs the playoffs. Big difference. You win with clutch players, and Carlson has shown that over his career.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
During the last lacrosse season I started to hear an interesting comment on ESPN from Quint Kessenich . . . "stats are for losers"

WJC game winning OT goal in 2010 and follows up with a Calder Cup championship the same year after he turns Pro. And now it looks like he's going to win a Stanley Cup.

Has he EVER played on a team with a losing record? Winning games is NOT solely about numbers, it's about coming through when you need to, not some accumulation of a stat nerd's input.

Look at his Save % and GAA in the regular season vs the playoffs. Big difference. You win with clutch players, and Carlson has shown that over his career.

Remember when the Rangers signed Chris Drury because he won everywhere..... even the LL world series. Teams win, players contribute unless you're Labron. If the Caps win, I'm sure Ovy, Backstrom, Kuznetsov and Holtby will be getting a lot of praise as well. I'd take Niskanen and Orlov (their actual top pairing) over John Carlson.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I don't think it matters anyway, considering Carlson is likely going to re-sign in Washington.... and if he did leave, the Islanders would likely be low on his list.

Reactions: seafoam

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'd rather move Eberle for Brodie and keep Lee (and sign him long term). Replace Eberle with Kovy.

Kovy, Eberle, and Brodin or Lee, Kovy, and Brodie

Brodie replaces de Haan and is only signed to a very reasonable 4.5 for 2 years.
He had a tough season, but still logged 23+minutes a game, was + possession player, and still had 30 points.

I actually think that Having Leddy, Brodie, Pelech (who can also play RD) & Toews looks pretty promising.

Take a closer look -

You don't have to sell me on Brodie, I think he would be the perfect replacement for CDH. I love Anders Lee, but that he played so much football and the style he plays now makes me worry about how he holds up through his next contract. I don't think his value will ever be higher, and LW is probably the easiest position to fill internally and externally going forward. Eberle is more dynamic, and will likely hold up better through his next contract. It's unfortunate, but because of the cap someone is going to have to go anyway.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Remember when the Rangers signed Chris Drury because he won everywhere..... even the LL world series. Teams win, players contribute unless you're Labron. If the Caps win, I'm sure Ovy, Backstrom, Kuznetsov and Holtby will be getting a lot of praise as well. I'd take Niskanen and Orlov (their actual top pairing) over John Carlson.

And Drury also showed up in the playoffs, as well as 2 Olympic silver medals. We'll see how good Niskanen is if Carlson leaves. I don't exactly see any mention of Niskanen's name on a US Olympic team roster, while Carlson has been chosen. Niskanen's already on his third NHL team. Carlson might well end his on only one.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You don't have to sell me on Brodie, I think he would be the perfect replacement for CDH. I love Anders Lee, but that he played so much football and the style he plays now makes me worry about how he holds up through his next contract. I don't think his value will ever be higher, and LW is probably the easiest position to fill internally and externally going forward. Eberle is more dynamic, and will likely hold up better through his next contract. It's unfortunate, but because of the cap someone is going to have to go anyway.

He hasn't played football since 2008!

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I

Take a closer look -

Flames fans report Brodie has had back to back rough seasons.

I would rather have Brodin, but think Calgary's Brodie is the more likely to be moved.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Once you start signing players because they are "winners" and "clutch" you end up with Andrew Ladd type of signings. If you are going to spend big money on Carlson he better check nearly all of the boxes.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
And Drury also showed up in the playoffs, as well as 2 Olympic silver medals. We'll see how good Niskanen is if Carlson leaves. I don't exactly see any mention of Niskanen's name on a US Olympic team roster, while Carlson has been chosen. Niskanen's already on his third NHL team. Carlson might well end his on only one.

Chris Kunitz is better than Ovy, Hall and Benn because he has 4 Stanley Cups. Stats are for losers

Do I really need to point out how flawed your reasoning is? I'm not saying Carlson is trash, he's just not the answer to fixing a team that needs to suppress shots and keep the puck out of their own net. And I showed evidence to back that opinion up.... but if you would rather use Olympic team invites and the amount of times someone has been traded as a benchmark, I guess we will never come to an agreement.

He hasn't played football since 2008!

But he played and did so to a high degree, that's my point. Those bumps and bruises tend to hide and pop back up around 30 then get progressively worse as you age. Take it from a half crippled 40 year old.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Flames fans report Brodie has had back to back rough seasons.

I would rather have Brodin, but think Calgary's Brodie is the more likely to be moved.

With Fox, Valimaki, Kylington, Anderson all in the pipeline - Brodie is def. more available.

I don't see Brodin being available in the end. With Suters injury and age as well as the lack of prospects on he blueline. And that contract is a really good one for a team up against the cap.

Looking at those #'s - they don't look half as bad. he also logs in a lot minutes too -

Apparently the Hamonic pairing was a tire fire.

I still do that deal -

Maybe Nelson for Brodie with other supplemental pieces can work for both teams

Reactions: Jester9881

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Gah, I think that's the 3rd time I mistook TJ Brodie for Jonas Brodin. I like Brodie, and my opinion above isn't changed really... but he has a NTC, is slightly older than Brodin, makes slightly more money than Brodin and is signed for one year less.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Chris Kunitz is better than Ovy, Hall and Benn because he has 4 Stanley Cups. Stats are for losers

Do I really need to point out how flawed your reasoning is? I'm not saying Carlson is trash, he's just not the answer to fixing a team that needs to suppress shots and keep the puck out of their own net. And I showed evidence to back that opinion up.... but if you would rather use Olympic team invites and the amount of times someone has been traded as a benchmark, I guess we will never come to an agreement.

Do you honestly think that if Barry Trotz was our coach we'd even be having this discussion? And that you wouldn't be chasing Carlson? How many times this season did this Board discuss the coaching of a defense-oriented style would be the BIGGEST difference maker? Not the player, not the stats. And if Washington wins the Cup, which I now fully expect, then it shows that these individual stats are not important. And I happen to think right now LL is talking to Lemaire and Robinson to come in to coach this team, teach them defense, and groom a young replacement to carry it forward.

Carlson signing means Boychuck gets to play 3rd line minutes and Pulock does not see the top pair. How does that NOT help substantially? With two coaches who have WON a TON of Cups between them as coach and assistant.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
With Fox, Valimaki, Kylington, Anderson all in the pipeline - Brodie is def. more available.

I don't see Brodin being available in the end. With Suters injury and age as well as the lack of prospects on he blueline. And that contract is a really good one for a team up against the cap.

Looking at those #'s - they don't look half as bad. he also logs in a lot minutes too -

Apparently the Hamonic pairing was a tire fire.

I still do that deal -

Maybe Nelson for Brodie with other supplemental pieces can work for both teams
Think bigger!!! Go after Hamilton. We have the ammo to pull it off and we need someone like Dougie more than we do Brodie

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad