Staples Twitter: 5/31 Stape Chat!

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't think that's correct - mathematically.

I'm as down on the guy as anybody, but he had seasons of 46 points (in 48 games), 54, 62 (career high), and then 46 points before he signed with us - and he had been Winnipeg's captain for five straight seasons, and with Atlanta the one before.

He ultimately got market value and had one season of trending downwards after three very strong offensive seasons. And I don't think many folks here were against his signing (many were spending more time being upset about seeing Nielsen and Okposo walk...)

The seeing-eye test will tell us that he's never sniffing 40 points again and that he's been a major disappointment.

Until and unless some sucker comes along to help take salary or make a lateral salary dump, you almost have to think that the best thing to do is place Ladd with Cizikas and Clutterbuck, and completely remodel the third line.

When that Hockey Advanced stats website used to be up, I remember looking up Ladd’s
numbers and his P/60 and G/60 had decreased every year leading up to his contract with NYI.

Could be wrong, but I remember that being the case.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
His numbers were pretty consistent. But, his surgery coupled with his age should have been a sign that a long term contract wasn't the best idea. Also, his playoff numbers are a bit of a red herring. He was in his early 20s and was basically a 14g/30pt 3rd liner when he won his Cups. He didn't emerge as a top 6 forward until his mid 20s and then played on a shit Winnipeg team that never made the playoffs.

In a vacuum, I don't think it's a terrible signing. Almost every team has a shit signing or 2 and that kinda just comes with the territory. The problem is that Snow lost a bunch of players, didn't have a good enough back-up plan and nothing in the pipeline. So, he got bent over trying to salvage something from the wreckage. Plus, you add that to the other contracts in the bottom 6 and it's a major headache.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
His numbers were pretty consistent. But, his surgery coupled with his age should have been a sign that a long term contract wasn't the best idea. Also, his playoff numbers are a bit of a red herring. He was in his early 20s and was basically a 14g/30pt 3rd liner when he won his Cups. He didn't emerge as a top 6 forward until his mid 20s and then played on a **** Winnipeg team that never made the playoffs.

In a vacuum, I don't think it's a terrible signing. Almost every team has a **** signing or 2 and that kinda just comes with the territory. The problem is that Snow lost a bunch of players, didn't have a good enough back-up plan and nothing in the pipeline. So, he got bent over trying to salvage something from the wreckage. Plus, you add that to the other contracts in the bottom 6 and it's a major headache.

I can only imagine the conversation between Snow and Malkin regarding this.

Malkin: "So you aren't signing Nielsen and Okposo, how are you replacing them? Do you think we will be spending a lot of money this offseason?

Snow: Oh I've got a plan, I am going to sign Steven Stamkos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad