GDT: 5/3/16 - 7:00PM EDT - #2 Tampa Bay @ #4 New York [ECSF GAME 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Thing is, team can be better and will be when Stralman (and Carle because it makes Taormina or Nesterov or Kookoo sit) returns and if Brown comes back and if Stammer comes back all healthy and ready to prove himself. Survive the Isles and go from there.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
There are at least four guys I don't want to risk losing for the sake of keeping Stamkos: Johnson, Kucherov, Hedman, and Bishop. Every one of them has proven more than Stamkos in the playoffs. Being within spitting distance of a point-per-game when you've played 30+ playoff games is no joke.

I'd add Drouin to that list. And possibly even Stralman considering how shaky we've been defensively without him. Even Killorn's been bigger for us in the playoffs than Stamkos.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Agreed. It's also important to note how rosey we're seeing last year in hindsight when, if you look at the threads, it's not like we were overly optimistic during that run either. There was a LOOOOOOOT of gloom and doom on these boards during that cup run. We have to stop pretending this year's team is so much worse. We had a lackluster regular season, sure. We failed to meet expectations. Worse, we were a pretty boring team to watch. But a switched flipped on in the playoffs, and we now look pretty damn strong, and we're playing the exact brand of hockey we played last year. Again: Things weren't as rosey as people seem to remember it.

Maybe we won't make it past the Pens/Caps. Or maybe we won't make it past the Isles. But let's not pretend this is a bad team. And, I'm with you--let's enjoy it. Especially now that we're back to being a fun team to watch.

Doom and gloom in BOTH of the first two series last year. I said somewhere else on this site that I won't be terribly concerned until we officially hit an elimination game.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I'd add Drouin to that list. And possibly even Stralman considering how shaky we've been defensively without him. Even Killorn's been bigger for us in the playoffs than Stamkos.

The team is proving they don't need a $10mil Stamkos. Give that money to the players that deserve it. Hedman, Johnson, Kucherov, Bishop

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Capuano had some pretty embarassing remarks. He got out coached by Cooper and that's embarassing enough. He let his team lose tonight and the first thing out of the parrot looking thing on his head was complaining about Boyle. What a joke.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We may sneak past NYI but we get destroyed by PIT/WAS playing like this.

We are winning games against two not so great teams. I know some don't think we need Stammer (and obviously Stralman) but I completely dissagree. We've been scoring goals but our offense has looked helpless oftentimes. Thank god for Drouin is all Ill say.

Our defense has been a complete train wreck in the playoffs so Stralman can't get back soon enough.

Right now we're looking a lot like the Golden State Warriors - winning games without Curry against average teams, but the Spurs are waiting in the wings and if Curry isn't back they get crushed.

Need to upgrade that 3rd line. Cooper in the 3rd benched Paquette for a couple of shifts, he has been far our worst forward in the playoffs, I don't even want him on the 4th line. That go ahead goal against was mostly on him, throws the puck to Garrison who could not handle it and was surrounded. But his lack of offense and him bringing down that line is enough to demote him to the 4th line. He is not even getting PK time anymore. Throw Vladdy on the 3rd line with Cally and Boyle like Cooper did in the end of the 3rd, they will get more going while also defending.

I would also swap Drouin and Palat, TKO was not getting it done last night, and were horrible on defense. They got a goal off a face off but that was mostly Hedman, and the game tying goal was Drouin and Kucherov.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Hey boys and girls sorry for not posting I have been pretty sick. That game last night was intense. Way to come back Bolts and get the win. It was a perfect example of what playoff hockey is all about.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Hey boys and girls sorry for not posting I have been pretty sick. That game last night was intense. Way to come back Bolts and get the win. It was a perfect example of what playoff hockey is all about.

images

Wow the NY media is blowing Boyle's hit out of proportion. Unreal.

I read a NY post article that called it "an ordinary, NHL playoff hit" so not all the NY media is doing it. I think most are just taking Capachinos quotes and running with it.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Well sir, what exactly was I wrong about? You couldn't possibly have watched this team last year and say we are playing well. Our defense has been atrocious at times and I have no idea how we're scoring when TKO isn't playing lights out. This is by no means a good Lightning team we are watching right now. We've seen this team be exponentially better over the past 2 years.

And also, DET and NYI are probably 2 of the 4 worst teams in the playoffs this year and we are lucky enough to have gotten both of them.

I'm super happy that we won but not happy about how we're playing against average teams.

We can beat PIT/WAS but it's gonna take a great effort by a full squad.

Sure, Detroit was a pretty weak playoff team, but the Isles are not. They have a solid young team with a superstar forward and they beat a division winner (the same team that dominated us all year) in the first round. We aren't playing anywhere near our best right now, but our experience is showing when we get into a tough spot.

We all knew the playoffs were going to be all about lasting long enough to get Stralman and Stamkos back. Doesn't matter how we last long enough, as long as we do.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
That wasn't even Hickeys first flop of the night - he drew a slashing call where his hand was "hurt".... except he was shaking his right hand, suddenly remembered his left was the one that got hit, and started shaking that hand and hunched over. Give me a break.

The diving and constant throwing-my-head-back-like-i've-been-shot has got to stop.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
a little late to the party, had to record and watched late last night.

Has anyone mentioned what a beast Killorn was last night? Every time he was on the ice the dude was like a wrecking ball and puck hound wrapped in one. Very impressed with his play.

Drouin, wow I thought he was out for the rest of the playoffs, when the camera showed him back I was in shock. He still continued to be dangerous every time he touched the puck and then sets up the game tying goal, what a beaut!

D coverage looked lost out there on different occasions throughout the game, need to tighten that up. But nice road win, they battled back to get that W. Plus props to Bishop making some huge saves to keep that game close.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I'm honestly getting used to beast mode Killer. He's just being is normal self. Epitome of a power forward without the overrated hits and useless nastiness. Effective motha***** if you ask me.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I'm honestly getting used to beast mode Killer. He's just being is normal self. Epitome of a power forward without the overrated hits and useless nastiness. Effective motha***** if you ask me.

Possession hound, too. Its like that puck is glued to him. You need to pin someone down and rest your guys, send his line out.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
More love here for Killorn. Was money last playoff, a bit of a letdown in the regular season but not far off his totals, and now beating it up on the postseason again. Similar player/performance to Colin Wilson of the Preds. I'd take Killorn over Wilson 7 days a week though.

Both players are in Joel Ward territory, guys you'd love to keep long term, but some other team will overpay based on playoff performance.

But Killorn is a guy who needs to stay, if you watch his interactions with teammates on and off the ice, you can tell that he's well liked, he seems a bit goofy and the guy who would lighten the room during tough times. I bet he's as valuable in the locker room and plane/hotel as he is on the score sheet.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
But Killorn is a guy who needs to stay, if you watch his interactions with teammates on and off the ice, you can tell that he's well liked, he seems a bit goofy and the guy who would lighten the room during tough times. I bet he's as valuable in the locker room and plane/hotel as he is on the score sheet.

Totally agree!

Killorn will get at least around 4.5 Million, and that is yet another issue to add to the pile about paying Stamkos well over 9 million a year.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Totally agree!

Killorn will get at least around 4.5 Million, and that is yet another issue to add to the pile about paying Stamkos well over 9 million a year.

and killer is worth it. I think SFY knows it too, and we'll see an extension soon enough. His regular season play is hit or miss but the guy is a warrior that Stevie will want to keep for years to come. Plus I think Killer likes it down in Tampa bay.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Not that it comes to a surprise to anyone (other than maybe their coach) but no hearings on either hit last night which is as it should be:

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Drouin, wow I thought he was out for the rest of the playoffs, when the camera showed him back I was in shock. He still continued to be dangerous every time he touched the puck and then sets up the game tying goal, what a beaut!

Yeah, we always knew he was talented but I don't think anybody ever expected to describe him as "gutsy". If he can harness that whole "chip on the shoulder" mentality and keep it on the ice where it belongs that just adds an additional element to his game. He came back from that hit looking for revenge and he got it in the best possible way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad