5. (134) - Cole Hults (D)

Malakian#13

Mar 7, 2003
Seattle
Visit site
Anybody seen him play?

Looks like he has decent size and I'm guessing he plays physical based off of his P.I.M. total.

Turned 19 recently, committed to Penn State.

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2017/3/30/15119352/penn-state-hockey-commitment-cole-hults-defense-guy-gadowski-big-ten-champions-wisconsin

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Cole Hults at eliteprospects.com

He ALMOST made the U20 USA WJC team...pretty impressive. He's now 6'2" 200 lbs. LHD.
(Kings need RHD RHD RHD tho. Only prospects that are RHD are: Ladue, Strand, Matt Roy.
LHD: Clague, Brickley, Mikey Anderson, Hults, Marcus Phillips, Reddekopp, MacDermid, Lintuniemi.

these numbers are pretty mad sweet for a Freshman Defenseman:

2017-18
6.png
Penn State Univ.
NCAA3831720436
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This is from Mayors Manor. hope ok to post:

COLE HULTS: Defenseman, Penn State (5th round pick in 2017, USHL)
At 19 years old, Hults is currently a freshman at Penn State, in what the Kings feel is a very good development situation. When he was drafted last summer, scouts told us he showed great progress over the prior two seasons, despite some initial struggles when making the jump from high school hockey to the USHL. Before entering college this season, he was playing top minutes and being used in all situations on a weak U.S. junior team. Hults is a late bloomer with very good size and patience when he has the puck on his stick.
Over the first-half of Penn State’s season, Hults has been very impressive, including playing top-pairing minutes in all situations. Among his many strengths include play with the puck, both on breakout and transition, in addition to solid instincts without the puck. One area where he’s been highly noticeable this season is on the power play; excelling in running the top unit. He does a solid job defensively, creating offense via his breakout pass. Prior to Kings Development Camp this upcoming July, he’ll be working on adding more to his game in the offensive zone and getting to the middle of the ice quicker.
Sean O’Donnell has been out to see him this season and has been encouraged by Hults’ continued development. He is a patient player, puts pucks in the right area for other players to make stuff happen. Standing 6-foot-2, he’s also added some size since being selected by the Kings. He played at 183lbs last season in the USHL, and is up to 197lbs this season – the heaviest he’s every weighed. Hults says he doesn’t feel slower, yet has noticed how much stronger he is, especially in the corners, winning battles. Plus, he remains on the slender side, leaving room to fill out even more.
Finally, this past December, Hults almost made the World Junior team for USA. Despite being one of the final roster cuts made, that experience was invaluable. He hadn’t been part of any USA teams in the past, so it was an accomplishment to even be invited. Hults is just now starting to scratch the surface with his talent. Look for him to take major steps forward in his development next summer.

Last edited:

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I hope Cole Hults turns out to be half as good as fans think he'll become...just have a question what is a Sacred Heart?And are they any good?Also I think Martinez and the other vets on the Kings should hear the footsteps pretty loud nowadays and worse if they get blown out by Nashville today...

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I hope Cole Hults turns out to be half as good as fans think he'll become...just have a question what is a Sacred Heart?And are they any good?Also I think Martinez and the other vets on the Kings should hear the footsteps pretty loud nowadays and worse if they get blown out by Nashville today...

Read what his coach says...and also King scout Tony Gasparini..from last season.

“He’s been huge for our success [this season],” Penn State coach Guy Gadowsky said. “Along with his defensive partner (Paul DeNaples), they’re our number-one pair. I mean, their plus-minus is exceptional. Cole leads our team in scoring for a defenseman yet he plays against the other team’s top line. He’s a shutdown defenseman who makes great plays. He’s an integral part of everything that we do. He’s a huge part of our power play and our penalty kill. He does everything.”

Bright future for Hults after standout year at Penn State

Last edited:

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007

AMart, like usual, played a solid game. He won't be hearing foot steps anytime soon.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
AMart, like usual, played a solid game. He won't be hearing foot steps anytime soon.
I think come play-off time if the Kings are out of it then Alec Martinez will fetch a first rounder and more ala the Muzzin deal. His contract looks pretty attractive with another year to go after this one so...Since the Kings will be a full rebuild mode sometimes you have to tear down before you build a contender again

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Read what his coach says...and also King scout Tony Gasparini..from last season.

“He’s been huge for our success [this season],” Penn State coach Guy Gadowsky said. “Along with his defensive partner (Paul DeNaples), they’re our number-one pair. I mean, their plus-minus is exceptional. Cole leads our team in scoring for a defenseman yet he plays against the other team’s top line. He’s a shutdown defenseman who makes great plays. He’s an integral part of everything that we do. He’s a huge part of our power play and our penalty kill. He does everything.”

Bright future for Hults after standout year at Penn State
College player that may turn out to be a an All-Star...so what does that translate into with the AHL-NHL ranks...I'd be happy if he was a 5,6th D-man in LA in 3-4 years

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I think come play-off time if the Kings are out of it then Alec Martinez will fetch a first rounder and more ala the Muzzin deal. His contract looks pretty attractive with another year to go after this one so...Since the Kings will be a full rebuild mode sometimes you have to tear down before you build a contender again

Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely you'll get anywhere near the return of Muzzin. Muzzin is younger and is a better player defensively. Martinez has once again got off to a terrible start this year, although he righted the ship during the season last year after a horrid October. At best you may be looking at a 2nd round pick and a prospect unless he plays lights out through February. I agree Martinez should be on the block in February. Kings may look to sign 26 year old Hutton to an extension if they like what they see this year. Right now when Martinez is on the ice, the Kings are giving up 8 goals per 60 minutes played at even strength, just putrid and by far the worst among all the regulars.

And yes, this thread about Hults got off track. As you were.

Reactions: lumbergh

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Yeah, Martinez isn't fetching a first. A second would be more like it.

One huge difference between Muzzin and Martinez, Muzzin was 29 and having a great year and could play #1 PP unit...Martinez will be 33 and not a #1 PP guy and will not be having a year like Muzzin was.
If the Kings can get a #2 round pick for him, that would be great.

Back to Cole Hults - hope he signs end of year...the Kings actually are looking good with D prospects:
Bjornfot, Durzi, Clague, Hults, Moverare (hope he comes back after this season in Frolunda) SPence, Nousiainen, Phillips, Stand...and not sure about Brickley. Overall, looking very good.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was thinking he'd fetch a first last year because keep in mind playoff firsts are typically very late firsts...a very late 2nd, practically 3rd, for Marty isn't much. Maybe 2 2nds, or a 2nd and a 3rd, then I'd be on board.

He's getting blown up this year and he's definitely slowing down but Marty is a versatile guy that would fit the depth of any contender--great veteran leader who can play both sides in any situation. We underestimate his utility.

Hults is gonna be a gem but we still need to be careful about drowning these kids.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Kings sign Hults in 2020 otherwise he chooses his employer in 2021. Suddenly the Kings have too many D-men at the NHL and AHL level,perhaps we can loan a few to other AHL affiliates or European leagues...or we choose not to sign D-men/have a massive firesale...I do believe Marty gets LA a First even if its a late 1st!

Reactions: Ghetty Green

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
One huge difference between Muzzin and Martinez, Muzzin was 29 and having a great year and could play #1 PP unit...Martinez will be 33 and not a #1 PP guy and will not be having a year like Muzzin was.
If the Kings can get a #2 round pick for him, that would be great.

Back to Cole Hults - hope he signs end of year...the Kings actually are looking good with D prospects:
Bjornfot, Durzi, Clague, Hults, Moverare (hope he comes back after this season in Frolunda) SPence, Nousiainen, Phillips, Stand...and not sure about Brickley. Overall, looking very good.

You forgot our best Dman prospect.. Mikey Anderson, who will see time on the big club this season

Reactions: andys

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Kings sign Hults in 2020 otherwise he chooses his employer in 2021. Suddenly the Kings have too many D-men at the NHL and AHL level,perhaps we can loan a few to other AHL affiliates or European leagues...or we choose not to sign D-men/have a massive firesale...I do believe Marty gets LA a First even if its a late 1st!

It's been reported a few times by Rosen that the Kings want to sign Hults at the end of this season. With Hutton, LaDue, Forbort, Ryan all UFA's (I think the Kings give Hutton an extension and try and trade Forbort if he is healthy), Reddekopp a possible non-QO, and Martinez likely on the block, there will be room at the inn.

Reactions: andys

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Curious if he gets signed.

I think Bearfoot is a given.

Two of Durzi, Hults, Clague, Nousiainen, Anderson or Moverare need to succeed to have a proper defense again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad