4yr old Son Skating, I don't know how

YotesFan

Jun 19, 2003
North Phoenix
Visit site
SO my 4yr old Son is starting Hockey Tots, first time learning to skate. He's doing pretty good.

Thing is I can't skate and I'm 26 years old. I've gone on the ice twice now and saw a big impovement from the 1st to 2nd time.

I still can't really skate though, I can't push off with both legs only the right.

Does anyone have tips they can give me so I can learn to skate and help my Son get better.

Thanks,

Kings man 4 life

Jul 2, 2008
Best advice is keep going out and skating and don't be afriad to fall and look like a dork. Everybody has to do it :) Best wishes Bud

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
SO my 4yr old Son is starting Hockey Tots, first time learning to skate. He's doing pretty good.

Thing is I can't skate and I'm 26 years old. I've gone on the ice twice now and saw a big impovement from the 1st to 2nd time.

I still can't really skate though, I can't push off with both legs only the right.

Does anyone have tips they can give me so I can learn to skate and help my Son get better.

Thanks,

Been a while since I was a skating instructor, but a few techniques.

One of the first things we teach to new skaters is gliding. Basically like walking and then stopping, and letting your momentum carry you. Step-step-step-glide. You've gotten past that phase but are only confident in one leg.

Try half of that. Keep one skate planted on the ice and use your other leg to push yourself along--effectively, gliding on one leg. So; put your left leg down, and push along with your right three times before allowing yourself to glide on one leg. Then switch to the other. Once you can alternate sides one at a time, you'll have the hang of it and be picking up speed in no time! Then comes stopping. :D

Hope this was of help.

~Canucklehead~

icedr

Mar 31, 2009
If you're serious about learning, the best thing you can do is take lessons. You'll progress a lot faster than if you try to figure it out on your own. I know that some of the rinks in Phoenix offer adult beginner lessons. I personally think Arcadia has the best ice times for these lessons. It looks like Ice Den has programs that cater more specifically to adults, but I don't think the times are as convenient. There's also private lessons, but those can get expensive. The other thing I'd say is to get your own skates as soon as possible, because every pair of rental skates is different and it's a lot easier to learn if you're using the same skates every time. Used skates aren't very expensive and will pay for themselves in just a few skating sessions. Make sure they fit right. In hockey skates, your big toe should just barely touch the end of the skate. If they're too loose, it will be a lot harder to skate.

YotesFan

Jun 19, 2003
North Phoenix
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys.

I've gone two weekends in a row now and hope I can go again this weekend. I will def. try the step, step, step, glide thing on the leg I'm not comfortably pushing off with, which is my left leg.

THanks again!

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Thing that made the biggest difference for me was my stride in a Circle-8 drill. Basically, circle the redlines as if you were making an eight, and force yourself to cross one leg over the other.

Another tip is too push your skate back when you're going forward, not to the side. Brings out much more power in your legs.

Good luck with your son!

YotesFan

Jun 19, 2003
North Phoenix
Visit site
Thing that made the biggest difference for me was my stride in a Circle-8 drill. Basically, circle the redlines as if you were making an eight, and force yourself to cross one leg over the other.

Another tip is too push your skate back when you're going forward, not to the side. Brings out much more power in your legs.

Good luck with your son!

THat sounds like some good ideas for me to try.

Thanks man!

47milesbarbwire

Jul 10, 2007
This was mentioned earlier and its one of the most important points: decent quality skates, fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. Have them sharpened by that same highly qualified person. Then lessons and practice.

Good luck and have fun! In a year or so you'll be coming on here bragging about your stats in the local rec hockey league. :toothless

YotesFan

Jun 19, 2003
North Phoenix
Visit site
This was mentioned earlier and its one of the most important points: decent quality skates, fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. Have them sharpened by that same highly qualified person. Then lessons and practice.

Good luck and have fun! In a year or so you'll be coming on here bragging about your stats in the local rec hockey league. :toothless

LOL, I don't know about that. Maybe I'll just play net, LOL.

But I guess Skates are really important, I was underestimating that.

What about the Ice quality? It seems whenever we go the Ice is already chopped to heck, We get there usually too late and the Zamboni only goes around once during the open skate.

47milesbarbwire

Jul 10, 2007
Its definitely easier to skate on nice smooth unblemished ice, but those conditions are not very common. Once you start to get the hang of it, rough ice will be less of a factor for you.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
if your trying to learn by yourself, get the usa hockey on ice drill cd rom. lots of good skating drills in there that you could use at open skate. as far as helping your son get better, no offense but get him in a good established program and let the coaches teach him. enjoy your time together on the ice don't be the dad telling his kid everything he is doing wrong. not that you are or aren't but just keep that in the back of your mind. create memories that he will cherish, not hate. I'm not trying to be an ahole. just something to think about.

icedr

Mar 31, 2009
Skating on various ice conditions gets easier with experience. When I started, I couldn't skate on rough ice because it was too bumpy and I couldn't skate on fresh ice because it was too slippery. Now it doesn't matter as long as it's frozen.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
You haven't mentioned balance or traction issues so maybe you know this already but here are my two main tips for beginners:

1. Work toward bending your knees and bending your waist. Many beginners balance only by bending at the waist. Since they're most afraid of falling backward they lean way forward and only see their feet. Bend your knees a little and keep your shoulders back. You'll get better balance and you'll have a better view of the ice around you though your thighs will burn until you're used to it -- they carry more of your weight this way.

2. In order to have a good push off I have to contradict what slapshot723 said in his post -- you push off at a 45-degree angle from your body. Your front foot should point forward . Your pushing foot should be turned 45-degrees, toes out. Bend your front knee and put about 75% of your weight over it, plant your back foot, push off and glide. Now do the same thing on the other side.

Too many novice skaters keep their feet parallel and never get a good push off.

TBLightningFan

Apr 20, 2004
Tampa
Skate classes will be the most helpful.

My son is 7 and learning to play hockey. I have been taking skating classes for 10 weeks now every saturday morning. The best part is that the adult learn to skate takes place on the ice right by his class. I am finally beginning to get the hang of doing crossovers. Now its on to learning how to transition from forward to backward.

Each stage of learning has been frustrating in a very good way. When you overcome the obstacle it feels awesome.

Now I am slowly accumulating gear to join the learn to play hockey class next session. I can't wait to get started! :D

4Hockey4

Jul 27, 2005
Virginia
www.putcanceronice.org
I started skating at 37, when my 3 YO started....(nows he's faster and better than me, so I don't skate as much anymore !!) and the biggest thing I noticed...was HE enjoyed it more...our 2nd one is the same way...its just a day on the ice with Dad....enjoy...

before long he'll be hanging out with his team and girls.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad