Confirmed with Link: 4th Round - #96OA - C Nicolas Roy - Chicoutimi (QMJHL)

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
6-4, 202 pounds. Was ranked 73rd in Bob McKenzie's final rankings. I like the pick! Very solid 4th round picks in my opinion.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Hopefully he'll be the next Rask for us. Ranked high before, fell, becomes a good player. Hard to say. A lot of times guys fall for a good reason.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Was ranked in the 2nd round by many legit sources. Great pickup who played well at the U-18s.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Ranked 18 by the hockey news, but the report makes it sound like his skating will keep him out unless he makes huge strides forward with it. Good hands, bad feet.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Posted in the draft thread, but I'll put it here, too. This is my first attempt at doing commentary. Sorry that I sound robotic.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
According to his NHL.com scouting profile, his favorite NHL player is Mika Zibanejad. If he labels his game after Z, good because we need a powerfoward.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I've started reading up on Roy a lot, and found some film of him playing. I think he may surprise a few people at the prospects camp this summer.

If he works hard this summer on his skating I just have a feeling he could do very well at the prospects camp this year. His game is pretty darn complete for a bottom 6 role in the NHL besides his skating, and I'm starting to see why he was once ranked as a 2nd round talent. I'm going on a limb from what I've seen, and very dependent on his off season training, but I just have a feeling he is going to do very well at prospects camp and will go as far as getting invited to training camp this off season.

Also we kinda have a need for a big power forward in our bottom 6, and in a season or two I really think his game would potentially slot in perfectly in our bottom 6.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Skating, skating, skating. Just watched that video, and while I hate to be the downer, I can immediately see why he fell so far. His skating isn't just lacking, it's quite poor. He can keep up with play while going forward only by putting in twice the effort everyone else is. He's got really big, choppy, inefficient strides, can't seem to turn well (or at all, really) in tight spaces, and lacks the quick step necessary to accelerate out of tight spaces, even going forward. Lateral acceleration to get out of a tight spot seems to be a 'forget about it'.

He does seem to have a decent shot and vision, and a decent sense for positioning, but he's never going to be able to keep up at the NHL level. With a lot of work on his technique, he could improve his skating, but from what I can see watching that video, he has a very long way to go, and even a substantial improvement likely won't be enough to make it in a league as fast and agile as the NHL is today.

Skating is a hard skill to teach at a high level, and probably the most crucial one at the NHL level these days. Even in the 4th round, I don't think this was a good pick.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad