4th best VAN draft pick, selection 1-30

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
It would be interesting to start a new series of threads (one at a time) with a poll where we can vote on the best player we ever drafted (wether they ended up playing for us or not ) at round #9, #8, #7... and so on...

I guess that might be a little time consuming if there isn't a website that lists our draft history organized by rounds. I've been looking, but haven't found one yet.
Picks are organized in groups of 30, rather than what round they were at the time (as though the league always had 30 teams).

They are color-coded for position, and ordered in descending number of games played.

Picks 1-30 (Current 1st round):

1-30-a_zpsqpss8hhp.png

1-30-b_zpsdkcrlso5.png

Votes to date:

1. Henrik Sedin 78.57%
2. Daniel Sedin 79.03%
3. Cam Neely 45.31%

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
is it inflammatory to wonder whether everyone not voting for linden this round either was born after the fall of the berlin wall or is a self-hating canucks fan?

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
what has linden done for me lately? he's dragging his legacy through the mud as we speak.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
is it inflammatory to wonder whether everyone not voting for linden this round either was born after the fall of the berlin wall or is a self-hating canucks fan?

is it inflammatory to wonder if everyone voting for linden is just a mindless koolaid drinking nostalgia drones?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
if ohlund didnt suffer that eye injury, it probably would have been him

i voted taking into consideration the damage linden has done to the franchise as president. i probably would have voted linden had his first two years here (so far) not been a complete disaster

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
is it inflammatory to wonder if everyone voting for linden is just a mindless koolaid drinking nostalgia drones?

Well make a legit case for someone else on that list...

if ohlund didnt suffer that eye injury, it probably would have been him

i voted taking into consideration the damage linden has done to the franchise as president. i probably would have voted linden had his first two years here (so far) not been a complete disaster

What do Linden's struggles in management have to do with him as a draft pick/player?

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
what has linden done for me lately? he's dragging his legacy through the mud as we speak.

Curse him for taking us back to the playoffs and putting us on track to go back again, forever tarnished </3

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Well make a legit case for someone else on that list...

What do Linden's struggles in management have to do with him as a draft pick/player?

he wouldn't be part of the current disaster if he wasnt entrenched with the organization via his past

Curse him for taking us back to the playoffs and putting us on track to go back again, forever tarnished </3

he didnt do either of those things

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
o ok

but he's doing the thing you say he's doing

I'd like to hear the case for that

this is one of the worst run teams in the league. every transaction the team has made since the last deadline has haemorrhages assets and salary cap. death by a thousand cuts.

They need the NHL front office in New York to hold their hand through CBA issues after firing Lawrence Gilman.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

By and large, it's Mike Gillis players that got us back into the playoffs.

You can give Linden credit for the dud flush with loser points on the ice right now.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Linden absolutely deserves his position as one of the Canucks' best, but I think some perspective is needed, because there definitely is a strong nostalgia filter with him. If Linden were the identical player, but came along 2-3 years later when the Canucks were on the rise – obviously in part due to him, but ignoring that for a second – does he occupy the same space in our hearts?

What made Linden a big deal was that he was the first bright spot to come along in a long time, getting Calder consideration and immediately becoming the face of the team... but because the team was very bad to that point. The bar was so low that it didn't take much for fans to latch onto Linden as a savior. And don't get me wrong, I loved him too (and even sort of went with "team Linden" over "team Bure" back when that was a thing), and I think he deserves to have his number retired simply for what he meant to a success-starved franchise, and his visibility in the community. But if this is a team with Bure, Ronning, Courtnall et al already on it, and Linden is not a one-man show for his first few seasons... I can't believe his legacy is viewed the same way.

On cold, hard, pure hockey analysis... pretend Linden was the identical player, but played most of his career in, like, Hartford. Looking at him as an outsider, do you clearly take him over a guy like Öhlund every time? (Well, power forwards are overrated writ large, so probably yes, but it's closer than we probably presume).

It should be said, Linden was an iron man for the first part of his career and a dependable scorer. Once injuries finally set in, the latter half of his career was pretty underwhelming, though, and the poll is meant to relate to the player on a whole, not his relationship with the Canucks as such.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Linden absolutely deserves his position as one of the Canucks' best, but I think some perspective is needed, because there definitely is a strong nostalgia filter with him. If Linden were the identical player, but came along 2-3 years later when the Canucks were on the rise – obviously in part due to him, but ignoring that for a second – does he occupy the same space in our hearts?

What made Linden a big deal was that he was the first bright spot to come along in a long time, getting Calder consideration and immediately becoming the face of the team... but because the team was very bad to that point. The bar was so low that it didn't take much for fans to latch onto Linden as a savior. And don't get me wrong, I loved him too (and even sort of went with "team Linden" over "team Bure" back when that was a thing), and I think he deserves to have his number retired simply for what he meant to a success-starved franchise, and his visibility in the community. But if this is a team with Bure, Ronning, Courtnall et al already on it, and Linden is not a one-man show for his first few seasons... I can't believe his legacy is viewed the same way.

On cold, hard, pure hockey analysis... pretend Linden was the identical player, but played most of his career in, like, Hartford. Looking at him as an outsider, do you clearly take him over a guy like Öhlund every time? (Well, power forwards are overrated writ large, so probably yes, but it's closer than we probably presume).

It should be said, Linden was an iron man for the first part of his career and a dependable scorer. Once injuries finally set in, the latter half of his career was pretty underwhelming, though, and the poll is meant to relate to the player on a whole, not his relationship with the Canucks as such.

The bolded. The legend of Linden in Canuck land is far greater than his actual play deserves in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong I always thought he was a very good player but never even close to one of the elites in the league.

I can see a case being made for both Lever and Ohlund over him. Not that anyone is wrong for picking anyone they want it is only our opinions after all.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
I'm guessing that anyone not voting Linden is too young to have seen the 1994 playoffs.

I'm guessing anyone not voting Nedvěd is vindictive over him not having two e's in his first name

I can make stupid and ridiculous assumptions too

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I'm guessing that anyone not voting Linden is too young to have seen the 1994 playoffs.

QFT.

I love Ohlund too, but come on. The 1994 playoffs run is the primary reason Linden made the Olympic team in '98. Yeah I know it all went to crap in Nagano, but it's not just Canucks' fans who thought this guy was one of the best of the best.

McLean and Bure were awesome in that playoff run, but Linden was the driving force.

Last edited:

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
This poll has been insane. Linden should've been #1 with a bullet. Completely changed this franchise in an instant.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
This poll has been insane. Linden should've been #1 with a bullet. Completely changed this franchise in an instant.

Yep. The Canucks were an absolute laughingstock of a franchise prior to Linden (and Quinn). You can't overstate the role he played in turning the Canucks into a "legitimate" NHL team. The discussion has to go beyond points and trophies, IMO.

I get the Sedins being #1 and #2. I can live with Neely being #3, even though I think it's wrong. I can't get past Linden being lower than #4.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
QFT.

I love Ohlund too, but come on. The 1994 playoffs run is the primary reason Linden made the Olympic team in '98. Yeah I know it all went to crap in Nagano, but it's not just Canucks' fans who thought this guy was one of the best of the best.

McLean and Bure were awesome in that playoff run, but Linden was the driving force.

I thought Linden was one of the better forwards in Nagano for our team actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad