Post-Game Talk: #49| FLYERS 2 at Rangers 0| Wednesday, January 25, 2017

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weise is another guy that needs to get taken behind the barn. Can someone with fancy stats give me a comparison between him and VDV this season? He's a floater who doesn't do much of anything.

Weise has very good possession statistics and even good GF/GA% despite not scoring. Given he was a solid 25 point guy the last two seasons, I think it's just a matter of finding the right linemates. He's also I think 3rd among forwards in hits without taking bad penalties.

Speaking of bad penalties, Giroux really needs to be taken behind the woodshed by Hakstol, the team captain shouldn't be taking cheap stick penalties on a regular basis, because those are "lazy" penalties.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If Hagg gets promoted before Morin and Sanheim I would still be amazed based on how they are used by the Phantoms, but I suppose the fact Hagg can play the right side is a point in his favor over Morin.

It seems to me that Hextall is big into roles and developing guys into them in the minors first. So if that's the case, it would make sense to bring up Hagg first since he will likely have a smaller role in the NHL than Sanheim and Morin.

Hagg is probably just a complimentary defenseman at the NHL level, taking a regular shift and maybe playing on the second penalty kill unit. Sanheim looks like he is going to be a high minutes two way defenseman on multiple special teams so Hextall is probably being more deliberate with his development. Morin also looks like he could be in line for high minutes in the future as a top 4 shutdown guy and 1st unit penalty kill.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
So last night I think it was a power play in the second period and someone broke a stick. Provolone had the puck by the boards on the blueline and the rangers player (I want to say it was Zucarrello but I could be wrong) shot the stick at Provolone. It didn't hit the puck or anything, and I know you can move a broken stick out of your way, but can you shoot the stick at a player on the other team like that? I'm not saying there should have been a penalty, but could there have been? I don't think I've ever seen that before so maybe I'm overreacting, and I had the sound off because I was trying to get the baby to sleep so I don't know what, if anything, was said on the broadcast.

I am pretty sure it was Striet who had the puck and the ranger player looked like he was shooting the stick out of the zone

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
So last night I think it was a power play in the second period and someone broke a stick. Provolone had the puck by the boards on the blueline and the rangers player (I want to say it was Zucarrello but I could be wrong) shot the stick at Provolone. It didn't hit the puck or anything, and I know you can move a broken stick out of your way, but can you shoot the stick at a player on the other team like that? I'm not saying there should have been a penalty, but could there have been? I don't think I've ever seen that before so maybe I'm overreacting, and I had the sound off because I was trying to get the baby to sleep so I don't know what, if anything, was said on the broadcast.

I saw that, too but without the benefit of a replay, I can't say with certainty the manner or intent.

However, in rule 53:
Rule 53 – Throwing Equipment 53.1 Throwing Equipment – A player shall not throw a stick or any other object in any zone. A player who has lost or broken his stick may only receive a stick at his own players’ bench or be handed one from a teammate on the ice (see 10.3). 53.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player on the ice who throws his stick or any part thereof or any other object in the direction of the puck or an opponent in any zone, except when such act has been penalized by the assessment of a penalty shot or the awarding of a goal.

When a defending player shoots or throws a stick or any other object at the puck or the puck carrier in the defending zone but does not interfere in any manner with the puck or puck carrier, a minor penalty shall be assessed. When the player discards the broken portion of a stick or some other object by tossing it or shooting it to the side of the ice (and not over the boards) in such a way as will not interfere with play or opposing player, no penalty will be imposed for so doing.

When moving a stick that is not broken, no penalty shall be assessed as long as it does not interfere with the play and the player who lost said stick is not attempting to retrieve it, otherwise an interference penalty must be assessed. A minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct plus a game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on a player who throws his stick or any part thereof or any other object or piece of equipment outside the playing area in protest of an official’s decision. 53

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Weise has very good possession statistics and even good GF/GA% despite not scoring. Given he was a solid 25 point guy the last two seasons, I think it's just a matter of finding the right linemates. He's also I think 3rd among forwards in hits without taking bad penalties.

Speaking of bad penalties, Giroux really needs to be taken behind the woodshed by Hakstol, the team captain shouldn't be taking cheap stick penalties on a regular basis, because those are "lazy" penalties.

I really think Weise's play needs to be more aggressive and physical and then his points will come. He is just playing to passive right now. I think he is afraid of taking penalties and its caused him to play a very quiet and invisible game. I think his possession stats are misleading and are not indicative of his impact. Right now he has no impact.... where is the guy that Lucic wanted to kill in the handshake line. What happened to the sandpaper? Or is his play style being dictated by the coach?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I saw that, too but without the benefit of a replay, I can't say with certainty the manner or intent.

However, in rule 53:

Gotcha. I think it was intentional, but in done in such a way that the Rangers player knew it wouldn't actually hit the player or stick but might get close enough to mess with him. Seems like a discretionary call by the refs. A nice win like that...I'm not complaining!

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The 4th line plays because Hakstol doesn't want to wear down his top 9 forwards by overplaying them. The 4th line gets maybe 4 shifts a period, so basically he just wants them to get through their shifts unscathed and buy some rest for the other forwards. It's not good enough to be used as a checking line.

I doubt a single person would have a problem with the 4th line being used like this. Okay, that is almost assuredly inaccurate; at least one person on this board would have a problem with puppies, long weekends, and deep-dish pizza. This isn't anyone specifically – though I'm looking at you on the puppies front, hatcher! – but rather the nature of our often abrasive conversation.

However, the full picture is that PEB-VdV is Hakstol's go-to to start most PKs, and they log significant minutes at the end of close games. For goodness' sake, they are the opposite of the players to be counted on to play prevent D against a team pulling out the stops to score.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They average about 8 minutes a game at ES, and 2 minutes a game on the PK.

GA per 60 minutes SH (4x5):

Simmonds (48th) 5.67
VdV (61st) 6.15
PEB (67th) 6.34
Couts (99th) 7.53

D-men

Provorov (42nd) 5.20
Manning (66th) 6.02
Gudas (80th) 6.42
MacDonald (100th) 7.59

Last Season

Couts 5.45