Post-Game Talk: #48| Penguins at FLYERS | Tue., Jan. 20, 2015| Rinaldo gets 8-game suspension (01/26)

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
holy mother of god. I just .. I just can't even.

wow

Sorry. I refuse to even attempt to process a comparison between the history of American treatment of blacks and a marginally illegal hit by a marginal hockey player.

The point is times change. With all the research on concussions and brain injuries, cheap shot hits like Rinaldo's are a much bigger deal.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
The point is times change. With all the research on concussions and brain injuries, cheap shot hits like Rinaldo's are a much bigger deal.
Fair enough, but it didn't take scientific research and subsequent enlightenment on bigotry to realize how repugnantly wrong it was. And it certainly shouldn't be invoked in cases like the Rinaldo hit, where the initial contact was located a tick north of the shoulder blade.

People are treating it as if it's worse than James Neal course-adjusting the momentum of his knee right into a fallen player's skull, as opposed to the run-of-the-mill suspendable hit from behind that it is. Which is what I find ridiculous.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Qe9jW8u.gif

More GIFs:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=96074951

Vive la France!

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
The Pittsburgh staff's take on the Flyers, as Al Swearengen once put it:

"It's past me. I cannot figure the ****ing angle. Go ahead and ****ing fight him."

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Fair enough, but it didn't take scientific research and subsequent enlightenment on bigotry to realize how repugnantly wrong it was. And it certainly shouldn't be invoked in cases like the Rinaldo hit, where the initial contact was located a tick north of the shoulder blade.

People are treating it as if it's worse than James Neal course-adjusting the momentum of his knee right into a fallen player's skull, as opposed to the run-of-the-mill suspendable hit from behind that it is. Which is what I find ridiculous.

Yeah not the greatest analogy.

Also Pens fans should get off their high horse with the "don't employee this guy" ****. This is coming from the team that employed James Neal, Matt Cooke, and currently employees Steve Downie who have all taken their fair share of cheap shots.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There's no comparison between Rinaldo's hit and the one that got Matt Cooke suspended for 10 games plus a playoff round, which was basically worth 20 games since playoff games count more.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Yeah not the greatest analogy.

Also Pens fans should get off their high horse with the "don't employee this guy" ****. This is coming from the team that employed James Neal, Matt Cooke, and currently employees Steve Downie who have all taken their fair share of cheap shots.

It would be intriguing to dig up threads about what Penguins fans felt about Downie back in 2011 when he got a game suspension for a leaping blind-side hit on Ben Lovejoy, or that figure-4 takedown of Crosby a few seasons ago.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There's no comparison between Rinaldo's hit and the one that got Matt Cooke suspended for 10 games plus a playoff round, which was basically worth 20 games since playoff games count more.

Are you talking about the one on McDonaugh? That got as many as it did because it was Matt Cooke who had been suspended umpteen times to date, and it was an NBC game. Ed Olczyk threw out a number as well, so they didn't have a choice but to nail him to the cross.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It would be intriguing to dig up threads about what Penguins fans felt about Downie back in 2011 when he got a game suspension for a leaping blind-side hit on Ben Lovejoy, or that figure-4 takedown of Crosby a few seasons ago.

many wanted Downie thrown out of the league back then.
now? he is a gritty forward who plays to the line of the rulebook and they like that.
they aren't that hypocritical much over there.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
His back was not facing at all? Sorry that's just blatantly ignoring the facts.
OwRkOKQ.png

Yes he hit his shoulder, but he hit his shoulder completely from the back. That's a hit from behind

If calling a spade a spade makes me a soft "meow mow" fan, then so be it. The game can still be physical without dangerous hits from behind.

You and I will not agree. For me, its your responsibility to know where you are on the ice at all time (e.g. Eric Lindros was guilty of this so much- because of his size).

Hockey 101- if you play the puck, expect to get hit. What aggitates me in todays NHL is that players will intentionally position themselve to get a call. While I don't think that is what happened on this play, I also think it was a hockey play and 2 min minor at the most.

I hate the term "to agree to disagree" but thats what you and I have. I make the same play Rinaldo made 10 x out of 10 x.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Ed Olczyk threw out a number as well, so they didn't have a choice but to nail him to the cross.
Was that sarcasm? Or are you actually saying a department of the NHL has "no choice" but to react in a way conducive to the media's demand. Because they sure as a mother****er do have a choice.

Don't take this question the wrong way. I'm just not certain what you meant.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Was that sarcasm? Or are you actually saying a department of the NHL has "no choice" but to react in a way conducive to the media's demand. Because they sure as a mother****er do have a choice.

so are you saying that NHL refs dont cow to calls from home town crowds for penalties.

cuz we all know it happens.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, I can see both sides, Rinaldo should be more careful because of his reputation, you can be aggressive without being stupid, on the other hand, it doesn't look like the kind of hit that is excessive, like the elbow to the head kind of shot, that should bring forth calls for a "death penalty."

I thought the MDZ hit was actually worse, and really stupid, if Rinaldo had done that, instant suspension.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

It set the narrative for the story. Cooke was rightfully suspended for a long time, but they were also forced to do it because they were talking about it on a national network broadcast about how they had to do it. Other such plays, they tend to keep quiet.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Well, I can see both sides, Rinaldo should be more careful because of his reputation, you can be aggressive without being stupid, on the other hand, it doesn't look like the kind of hit that is excessive, like the elbow to the head kind of shot, that should bring forth calls for a "death penalty."

I thought the MDZ hit was actually worse, and really stupid, if Rinaldo had done that, instant suspension.

You got that right, if Rinaldo wanted to seriously injure Letang he wouldn't have gone in side on and only taken a chunk of his shoulder. I'd still guess they're going to get him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad