WlOpZ53.png

cut.jpeg

Last edited:

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
8 years young .... forever a Bruins fan. I remember this somewhat ... faded images; remember 72 better.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I was minus-5, but I have the center spread of the Record-American with Ray Lussier's famous photo framed & on my home office wall.

My stepfather went to one of the semifinal games against Chicago. I have the game program, with Espo scoring on his brother as the cover.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
https://www.nhl.com/news/glenn-hall-embraces-role-in-bobby-orr-goal/c-289354082?tid=280751088

Hall was masked in 1970 but had no chance when Orr made him a part of hockey lore.

This Stanley Cup Playoff season, "The Goal" lives on in two television commercials that "Mr. Goalie" says he enjoys immensely; it is included among the historic moments compiled in an NHL Centennial celebration ad and featured in a Scotiabank spot that airs during games on Canadian TV.

In the latter, a child's play-by-play description is blended with the real call of broadcaster Dan Kelly, with the boy who plays Orr diving into a pile of fishing net among lobster traps after scoring in a harbor-front game played on running shoes.

In 1996, Orr and Hall sat together in Boston during the NHL All-Star Game, Orr the honorary captain for the Eastern Conference, Hall in that role with the Western Conference.

"We were signing that photo, over and over again," Hall said. "I think I turned to him that day and said, 'Bobby, was this the only goal you ever scored?'

"You know, it might live forever. And that's fine with me."

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
8 years young .... forever a Bruins fan. I remember this somewhat ... faded images; remember 72 better.

Looks like I'm not the only one that has clearer memories of the 1972 Championship. I was only 7 in 1970 and unfortunately I really can't remember very much from that season. But I do have a lot of vivid memories from the 1972 run to the Cup. :dunno:

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I was in Sec 111 Row E Seat 5 - Face value was $7 :cry:

Highest priced ticket was $9 :cry::cry:

s-l1600.jpg

Couldn't splurge 2 bucks to get the best seats in the house.

I know someone who went to the first Super bowl, only it wasn't called the
super bowl. Too lazy to look it up. He still has his ticket stubs. Those too were
cheap.

Very cool you got to see a clinching game.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I was in Sec 111 Row E Seat 5 - Face value was $7 :cry:

Highest priced ticket was $9 :cry::cry:

s-l1600.jpg

Just to put into perspective how the social class landscape has shifted in this country, without getting too political, the highest price ticket back then is equivalent (based on a CPI calculation) to $45 today. Forty...five...dollars.

FORTY. FIVE. DOLLARS. For the best seat in the house in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Scary as hell to me.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
I was 12 years old (*** I was actually that young once) watching the game over my grandparent's apartment while my parents went to the game. Don't remember much else of the game other than Orr's goal to win it.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Just to put into perspective how the social class landscape has shifted in this country, without getting too political, the highest price ticket back then is equivalent (based on a CPI calculation) to $45 today. Forty...five...dollars.

Scary as hell to me.

The cost to take a family of 4 to a professional sports game is insane.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Scary as hell to me.

Look how little prices changed between 1946 and 1967 :amazed:

8023a_lg.jpeg

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Look how little prices changed between 1946 and 1967 :amazed:

8023a_lg.jpeg

Welcome to a slice of the pie. Television contracts, free agency, profit sharing so to speak, the cost of doing business, and all the political and economic influences of different sorts. Of course the consumer covers most of the costs.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I was almost twelve and Bobby Orr was my boyhood hero since he came into the NHL in '66, and watched every Bruins game I was able to see, and I do remember (vaguely) parts of the SCF games against the Blues.....especially the Cup winning goal, although I have a better memory of the '72 Cup finals against the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad