Post-Game Talk: #46 Rangers @ Panthers

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Also, playoff seedings might as well be thrown out the window this year. 48 games. In a normal season, those top few spots would still be up for grabs.

But no! making the playoffs anything lower than 6th is pointless!

Sounds like people who are afraid to hope.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Guys we are just getting hot. I just watched the highlights of the game. Sure sucks the way we lost. Whatever. PO or no PO! What do you want? ...

look at the Kings ...

Zappy

Apr 23, 2013
island in the sun
Hi everyone - I'm Jen and I'm a newbie.

Lots of negativity on this board - sheesh. :shakehead

Anyway, that loss sucked dong. But, a good team can bounce back from that and get a win.

I will say, I have yelled quite a few times this season about how opposing teams completely own the blue line. If we end up making the playoffs, we better hope that we don't face Montreal because Subban alone can destroy us. I'm not a goalie, but I would imagine having 3-5 players screening you with guys having all the time in the world to make a slapshot from the line makes it pretty difficult to have solid reaction time, especially for deflections. Very frustrating.

BUT I'll have faith for all the "realists" and say we can overcome the shortcomings. :handclap:

Championship*

Guys we are just getting hot. I just watched the highlights of the game. Sure sucks the way we lost. Whatever. PO or no PO! What do you want? ...

look at the Kings ...

Kings =/= This years Rangers

why is that so hard for people to understand

Again, worst thing to happen to the sport...

Championship*

Also, playoff seedings might as well be thrown out the window this year. 48 games. In a normal season, those top few spots would still be up for grabs.

But no! making the playoffs anything lower than 6th is pointless!

Sounds like people who are afraid to hope.

You can sit around and wish on Rainbows or unicorns or whatever but I think I'll just live in the real world

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Kings =/= This years Rangers

why is that so hard for people to understand

Again, worst thing to happen to the sport...

Why not?

The Kings were in a similar position for much of last year.

Underachieving players, goaltender carrying the team for the majority of the regular season, a great defense and an inconsistent/flat out bad offense.

I think the thing that separates the two is a) the Kings have an elite two-way defenseman in Doughty, and b) the Rangers haven't fired their coach. Regarding A, the Rangers have a deeper defense and while Doughty is the best one of the group, we have, arguably, 4 top pairing defenseman.

I really do not think the roster is the problem - well, I don't think it should be a problem. If the players were all playing at the level they're capable of, this team would be at least in 4th place.

Kershaw

Kopitar is much better than anything we have. Richards/Carter would be first liners here, they're 2nd liners on that team. Stoll much better than Brassard, King/Nolan >>> Pyatt/Kreider. Voynov > Moore. Honestly, I just don't see the comparison outside of Quick and Lundqvist and Girardi vs. Mitchell.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Kopitar is much better than anything we have. Richards/Carter would be first liners here, they're 2nd liners on that team. Stoll much better than Brassard, King/Nolan >>> Pyatt/Kreider. Voynov > Moore. Honestly, I just don't see the comparison outside of Quick and Lundqvist and Girardi vs. Mitchell.

Our defense is quite a bit better than theirs once we get Staal back. I'll take their forwards over ours, though.

Kershaw

Our defense is quite a bit better than theirs once we get Staal back. I'll take their forwards over ours, though.

Their defense has a Doughty. They get the edge since we're without having a top end talent like that imo.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

It's close. I like LA's top end forwards, specifically Kopitar/Carter, but Nash/Richards/Stepan/Callahan/Clowe/Brassard/Hagelin is a very good group of forwards, IMO. My only real gripe with the group is that it lacks stanley cup experience. LA had Carter/Richards as cup finalists, Penner a cup winner, Williams a cup winner, and they had some experienced defenseman as well.

Championship*

Transitioning between extreme vagueness and exact literalness is a great way to argue a point.

Expecting one team to replicate the success of another just because on the outside they seem to be in a similar position is crazy. We aren't the Kings. We're the Rangers. What this team is is what this team is.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Why not?

The Kings were in a similar position for much of last year.

Underachieving players, goaltender carrying the team for the majority of the regular season, a great defense and an inconsistent/flat out bad offense.

I think the thing that separates the two is a) the Kings have an elite two-way defenseman in Doughty, and b) the Rangers haven't fired their coach. Regarding A, the Rangers have a deeper defense and while Doughty is the best one of the group, we have, arguably, 4 top pairing defenseman.

I really do not think the roster is the problem - well, I don't think it should be a problem. If the players were all playing at the level they're capable of, this team would be at least in 4th place.

Well, let's see.
2 losses against Florida, worst team in the league = 4 points missed
1 loss against Sabres in March that they should have won = 2 points missed
1 loss against Flyers in March = 2 points missed
For total of 8 points which should have taken them to 60 points = #2 in the standings.

So if they took care of 3 or 4 games they should have won, they would be upper echelon despite the early season struggles.

Shoulda woulda coulda ...

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Expecting one team to replicate the success of another just because on the outside they seem to be in a similar position is crazy. We aren't the Kings. We're the Rangers. What this team is is what this team is.

And the Kings were a legit eighth seed? Clearly, they weren't.

Look, for most of the year, this team has left me underwhelmed, frustrated, and extremely disappointed. That being said, this is still a shortened abomination of a season, and this team has undergone significant roster change, as did LA last summer and through the year. I think a lot of the freak out in this thread is extremely irrational and shortsighted. We're coming off 3 great wins in a row, one would think after a great stretch that maybe the fans wouldn't lose their ****ing minds after a 1 goal loss in which the Rangers outshot the opponent 35-14...but, no, people have to flip out and overreact to ONE game. Yeah, I realize that the Panthers are the worst team in the league, but people are acting as if the Panthers would just roll over and die. Unfortunately, the Rangers were unable to capitalize on their 1st period chances, and the Panthers got a lucky bounce to get the first goal. As I said earlier in the thread, I thought Lundqvist could have been better. After that goal went in, the Panthers were pretty much just trapping and keeping the Rangers to the perimeter - and, let's give them credit, they did a great job of it, and Markstrom made the saves he needed to make. The same can't be said of Lundqvist last night.

The Islanders lost to the Hurricanes, the second worst team in the East, the same exact night. I don't see Islanders fans losing their ****, and I don't see any of us lambasting them for it.

By the way - this team is 8-3-1 in April. LA was 10-4-1 in March of last season, the homestretch. Rangers could easily end up 10-3-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad