Post-Game Talk: #46 Rangers @ Panthers

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
I certainly think the Rangers can win a round or two in the playoffs - I'm still not sold on Pitts defense or goaltending, and ours is frankly much better. But I think anyone who thinks the Rangers will win the Cup this year is frankly delusional. Even our winning streak mostly came against weak teams, or in games like the Pittsburgh game without Crosby and with the team juiced by the trades. Certaqinly, the team is much better since the trade, and we have Lundqvist, but the power play still sucks, the fourth line is horrendous, Clowe can't skate, Pyatt is still a liability and Torts can't adapt as a coach.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
:rangers = :rangers

:kings =
52nseh.jpg

:rangers =/= :kings

I think
That's helpful, thanks.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I certainly think the Rangers can win a round or two in the playoffs - I'm still not sold on Pitts defense or goaltending, and ours is frankly much better. But I think anyone who thinks the Rangers will win the Cup this year is frankly delusional. Even our winning streak mostly came against weak teams, or in games like the Pittsburgh game without Crosby and with the team juiced by the trades. Certaqinly, the team is much better since the trade, and we have Lundqvist, but the power play still sucks, the fourth line is horrendous, Clowe can't skate, Pyatt is still a liability and Torts can't adapt as a coach.

I don't think we'll win this year either. If we do that's ****ing awesome but I certainly don't think it'll happen. I really do like our core moving forward though. I think we overachieved last year with a weaker roster than what we have right now and we underachieved this year with the stronger roster. Hopefully next year it evens out, our new guys gel even more, we inject some speed and youth into the lineup and we finish where we should which is 4th in the East, hell if it was a normal season that's where I think we'd be projected to finish right now. The Penguins will always be the superior regular season team so long as they have Crosby and Malkin but I am not sold on their D and goaltending either.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
I don't think we'll win this year either. If we do that's ****ing awesome but I certainly don't think it'll happen. I really do like our core moving forward though. I think we overachieved last year with a weaker roster than what we have right now and we underachieved this year with the stronger roster. Hopefully next year it evens out, our new guys gel even more, we inject some speed and youth into the lineup and we finish where we should which is 4th in the East, hell if it was a normal season that's where I think we'd be projected to finish right now. The Penguins will always be the superior regular season team so long as they have Crosby and Malkin but I am not sold on their D and goaltending either.

I mostly agree. I do think we have more talent this year, and with an injection of youth and speed we'll be better next year. Particularly if they can replace some of the dead wood like Pyatt, Asham, maybe even Clowe (I have not been impressed by him, he's just too slow, certainly not going to be worth anything near his asking price), Eminger, etc. I very much like the trade for Brassard, Moore (a potential stud defensemen, remember, he's 23) with Dorsett as a bonus - Gaborik was useless on this team and is on a downward slope and cost 7.5 mil.

That said, I'm also not sold on Tortorella as a coach. Don't like all the grinding style, his misuse of talented kids like Kreider, his love for offensive stiffs like Boyle (I'm OK with Boyle as a character guy on the 4th line).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Teams need talent to win but there are other factors--goaltending, commitment to defend, depth, forwards that have enough size to grind. To some degree this Rangers are as good in some of these areas as they were last year and it looks like we have a little more depth. The home ice thing will be working against them. They will have to steal a home game in any series they play and it's likely that if they win any series they will be in 6, 7 games.

Speaking of depth--last year's playoff team with Staal didn't have any better d-men than an injured Eminger and Bickel for the #6. This year without Staal we have a healthy Eminger more than less playing respectably and John Moore. We have Hamrlik, Gilroy and Bickel besides and if Staal returns we'll be even better. Last year's team also ran out of options at forward--which is why Kreider got to play. This year when Dorsett comes back--Kreider might be out of the lineup. If Boyle gets back maybe Powe or Pyatt.

That being said it will be an upset for the Rangers to get past the first round. I think they're capable but I don't think this team right now falls into the legit contender category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad