Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

1711768601355.jpeg

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
if a college player signs and burns the 1st year it usually results in their free agency status falling into the loophole where they can not receive an RFA offer sheet after their ELC. I cant recall the unique circumstances but it impacts this profile of signing.

so that's an advantage for the team if the player breaks out they cannot be signed to an offer sheet after their ELC.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
if a college player signs and burns the 1st year it usually results in their free agency status falling into the loophole where they can not receive an RFA offer sheet after their ELC. I cant recall the unique circumstances but it impacts this profile of signing.

so that's an advantage for the team if the player breaks out they cannot be signed to an offer sheet after their ELC.
The other advantage is that Casey probably isn’t in line for a massive contract after two full years. You could get a bargain gamble at that point.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I would really hate to burn a year of his ELC for 2 meaningless games. Hopefully he just gets the AHL deal than signs in the summer.
If he does sign it will still be exciting and I would look forward to seeing him live on Monday vs the Islanders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I would really hate to burn a year of his ELC for 2 meaningless games. Hopefully he just gets the AHL deal than signs in the summer. If he signs it will still be exciting and I would look forward to seeing him live on Monday vs the Islanders.
I think, the way that I would expect Casey’s career to start if he signs his ELC now you will get a year burned this year, a whole AHL year next year, and mostly an AHL year his third year. Even if year 3 is mostly NHL it won’t be with PP time.

So I think you’re likely to get a fairly cheap second contract if you sign his ELC this year. I think you’re more likely to end up having to sign a decently bigger second contract if you pushed his ELC to start next year.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Did he say he was planning on signing this year after his season ended? Or has it been quiet on his side and no chatter of anything?

MWagg72

May 9, 2021
Since Casey grew up a Devils fan, they should ask him how he's enjoying college and would he have interest in playing all four years. Then trade him for a goalie and let him come home when he can pick any team after finishing his college eligibility.

Maybe throw some NIL money at him for the next two seasons through a Michigan donor as incentive.

Just don't get caught.

Reactions: My3Sons

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Since Casey grew up a Devils fan, they should ask him how he's enjoying college and would he have interest in playing all four years. Then trade him for a goalie and let him come home when he can pick any team after finishing his college eligibility.

Maybe throw some NIL money at him for the next two seasons through a Michigan donor as incentive.

Just don't get caught.

Everything you suggested is absolutely above board except the NIL stuff. Just don’t do that and everything else is fine.

Of course, it would never work because a team won’t trade for Casey unless he agrees to sign with them.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I would really hate to burn a year of his ELC for 2 meaningless games. Hopefully he just gets the AHL deal than signs in the summer.
If he does sign it will still be exciting and I would look forward to seeing him live on Monday vs the Islanders.
think of it as a gesture of goodwill towards a talented prospect. i wouldn't mind it at all

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Hutson has signed with MTL.

Awaiting the Casey announcement.

I'd wonder if the Michigan guys would want one more crack at it after a couple years of coming close (three years for some guys like Edwards). A few years back, North Dakota had a few guys with pro offers but their season came to an abrupt end because of the pandemic. They collectively decided come back for one more year. Albeit most of them weren't going to be sniffing at an NHL spot.

Maybe it'll be a domino effect if McGroarty, Brindley, and Nazar sign.

Reactions: HBK27

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Sometimes it's just the price to get the guy to sign. Aside from Luke, we did it for Miles Wood, Steve Santini, and Joey Anderson. In Anderson's case he didn't even dress in a game and he still got to burn the first year.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'd wonder if the Michigan guys would want one more crack at it after a couple years of coming close (three years for some guys like Edwards). A few years back, North Dakota had a few guys with pro offers but their season came to an abrupt end because of the pandemic. They collectively decided come back for one more year. Albeit most of them weren't going to be sniffing at an NHL spot.

Maybe it'll be a domino effect if McGroarty, Brindley, and Nazar sign.

Michigan haven’t won since 1998, and has made it to the finals once since, not seeing this squad need to postpone pro-careers for another shot.

No big name kids coming in 2024-25 as far as I know either. They lost a lot of high profile talent after 21-22 but Fantili and Nazar were coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Sometimes it's just the price to get the guy to sign. Aside from Luke, we did it for Miles Wood, Steve Santini, and Joey Anderson. In Anderson's case he didn't even dress in a game and he still got to burn the first year.
Yeah and Wood was the only decent player from that group of 3 in the longrun...Anderson looks to be sticking with Chicago though at the NHL level.

I get why teams do it , I just find it odd that they do. The kids get paid a full seasons worth of money for free basically. While CHL and Euro players don't get the luxury lol.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Yeah and Wood was the only decent player from that group of 3 in the longrun...Anderson looks to be sticking with Chicago though at the NHL level.

I get why teams do it , I just find it odd that they do. The kids get paid a full seasons worth of money for free basically. While CHL and Euro players don't get the luxury lol.
Damn is that true? They get the full value of the contract over a couple weeks or whatever? i never realized that.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Damn is that true? They get the full value of the contract over a couple weeks or whatever? i never realized that.
I don’t believe that is true. NHL contracts pay on a per game basis so a college Entry Level Contract would pay them for the number of games they were rostered.

If there is an exception for college players I would be interested to see where the rule is.

—————-

The reason so many college players(age 21 and under) want to sign right after the college year ends is that this partial season uses up year 1 of their 3 year ELC. This gets them closer to signing their second contract which doesn’t have a maximum value like their ELC does.

In Casey’s case, burning the first ELC year to get him to that second contract ASAP may or may not be beneficial to the Devils but for Casey it will mean he hopefully starts earning more money than the max ELC amount a year earlier.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Casey won’t have the room to put up huge numbers or get huge minutes behind the D depth the Devils have, so getting him to his second contract quicker probably benefits both parties.

If he DOES manage to outplay a sizable chunk of the roster and earn a big deal, i doubt anyone will be complaining.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
College players who burn a year do get their signing bonus for that year, which is often $95,000. Of course, CHL players signed to ELCs also get that even if they don't play in the NHL or AHL. Josh Filmon got $95,000 this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad