Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Hmm. Do you think Bahl’s play is just growing pains? He’s been disappointing. While I think he fits as a third pair, it’s difficult not to take an immense talent like Casey over him.

We also do not know who of Miller or Smith might come back as both are UDA, or the new guy. Or Misyul or Hatakka. Or… damn.
I don't think it's a coincidence everyone on the defense took a step backwards. Bahl is disappointing but he's still better than Casey defensively.
How do you know this?
Because I watch as much Michigan as I can and watched the world juniors? Casey's defensive game is worse than anyone on the roster right now.

Reactions: My3Sons

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I don't think it's a coincidence everyone on the defense took a step backwards. Bahl is disappointing but he's still better than Casey defensively.

Because I watch as much Michigan as I can and watched the world juniors? Casey's defensive game is worse than anyone on the roster right now.
Depends what parts of the defensive game we are talking about but yes, in whole he isn’t ready for the NHL.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Luke Hughes has 4 inches on him, vastly longer reach and is an elite skater.
All of that added up to worse defensive results in college. There’s probably something to the idea that his physical tools helped him make the transition to the NHL much easier. But Casey is probably a more well rounded player at his stage in development.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
For me, the WJCs made it clear that his defensive game needs work. The coaching staff must have agreed since Hutson was getting PK time over him, and IMO they made the right decision.

I don't think he was any worse than Luke. Both are not there yet defensively, but Luke has been doing great offensively.

You think he's worse than Luke? If so sure, but I disagree.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Give him a year in the AHL. If it’s good enough for Nemec it’s good enough for him.

I mean Nemec’s AHL year was at 18. Casey’s would be at 20. It’s not the same. He likely gets an AHL year or at least starts there but it’s only going to be because the D is already full.

More Casey PP points.

That was also his 2nd one

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Not sure if this article was shared or not but I thought it was good.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Not sure if this article was shared or not but I thought it was good.

Hard not to be excited to see him play on the Devils a some point relatively soon.

In terms of offensive talent on the blueline Luke Hughes , Nemec & Casey could be up there as the best trio in the NHL in a few years.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Tonight's Michigan State / Michigan game will be on Big Ten Network at 8:30pm EST in case you needed something to watch after the Devils. It'll be at Little Caesar's Arena which just had a Canucks/Wings matinee. Wonder if we'll get a Quinn Hughes cameo?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
It's not that hard to see how Devils are going on the same path as avalanche. I hope Fitz will find the right moves and use successful experience. Casey is a piece we need.
I love Casey as a player, but he feels redundant to me. Between Dougie, Nemec, and Luke, we already have three offensive minded puck moving defensemen who are going to eat big minutes in those roles. I question whether Casey will even have the opportunity to develop properly here with his skillset.

Dougie and Nemec both shoot right, as does Casey, so he's already way down the depth chart with no real avenue to expanded playing time whether at 5v5 or powerplay.

Just feels like a player who is primed to be the cornerstone piece in a big trade. Not a knock on his abilities, but his ceiling is capped here.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I love Casey as a player, but he feels redundant to me. Between Dougie, Nemec, and Luke, we already have three offensive minded puck moving defensemen who are going to eat big minutes in those roles. I question whether Casey will even have the opportunity to develop properly here with his skillset.

Dougie and Nemec both shoot right, as does Casey, so he's already way down the depth chart with no real avenue to expanded playing time whether at 5v5 or powerplay.

Just feels like a player who is primed to be the cornerstone piece in a big trade. Not a knock on his abilities, but his ceiling is capped here.

One thing that made the team so deadly last year was Severson feasting in a third pairing role, I simply do not understand the urge to throw away what could be a cornerstone piece for us.

Understand that we will never get fair value for him in the trade market. He’s an undersized defenseman taken in the second round, and he’s a good but not elite skater. This is a Neanderthal league with Neanderthals in the front offices. If Casey was a much worse player but 6’3 and taken in the first round we’d probably get a haul for him. As is, you’d probably be surprised how little he’s worth.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
One thing that made the team so deadly last year was Severson feasting in a third pairing role, I simply do not understand the urge to throw away what could be a cornerstone piece for us.

Understand that we will never get fair value for him in the trade market. He’s an undersized defenseman taken in the second round, and he’s a good but not elite skater. This is a Neanderthal league with Neanderthals in the front offices. If Casey was a much worse player but 6’3 and taken in the first round we’d probably get a haul for him. As is, you’d probably be surprised how little he’s worth.
First of all, he isn't going to be a cornerstone piece. He's going to be a very good offensive defenseman who thrives quarterbacking a powerplay and he just won't have the ability to quarterback a powerplay here.

Fitzgerald said that Casey is one of the first players that teams ask for in trade negotiations, so it clearly isn't true that the "neanderthal front offices" don't value him.

This is about roster construction. You're probably not going to hoard a blue chip prospect whose internal progression is blocked when you can use it as a key bargaining chip for a major acquisition to fill other needs.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
First of all, he isn't going to be a cornerstone piece. He's going to be a very good offensive defenseman who thrives quarterbacking a powerplay and he just won't have the ability to quarterback a powerplay here.

Fitzgerald said that Casey is one of the first players that teams ask for in trade negotiations, so it clearly isn't true that the "neanderthal front offices" don't value him.

This is about roster construction. You're probably not going to hoard a blue chip prospect whose internal progression is blocked when you can use it as a key bargaining chip for a major acquisition to fill other needs.

Alternately, the Devils' need for ELCs is going to grow massively after Nemec graduates. Gritsyuk will probably never be on an ELC - he'll sign a contract at 24 that will burn his ELC and be done with it. Then you've got maybe Hameenaho in ~2 years and not a lot else that will be young and cheap.

The trouble is that Casey is not a blue chip prospect. He was drafted in the mid 2nd round and it is almost impossible for anyone to pay trade prices equivalent to where his value should be pegged.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Casey is probably blocked for two years after this one. Then Hamilton’s limited no trade clause kicks in. If NJ saw Casey as capable of filling that role they could try to move Hamilton to make room for him. We will see.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Those that say Casey is not useful or is redundant to this team also I suppose would say no to Quinn Hughes if he was magically a UFA after this season because that’s who I see as a comparison.

Casey was mid 2nd round due to his size. If he was 6’2” with his skill set he’d have been top 15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad