GDT: #46 - 01/19/17 | RANGERS @ maple leafs | 7:30 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
We need Shade Court to make a ruling on Lundqvist's post-game comments.

On one hand, it's perfectly reasonable for a struggling goalie to tell the team "Boys, I'm in a bad way right now--help me out and let's really tighten up for a few games." On the other hand, it's also reasonable to want to keep that behind closed doors.

One argument that didn't resonate with me the other night was that Lundqvist is just being a leader here, pointing out team deficiencies like good leaders should. Does that make McD and Stepan bad leaders for not addressing Lundqvist's backbreakers?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
We need Shade Court to make a ruling on Lundqvist's post-game comments.

On one hand, it's perfectly reasonable for a struggling goalie to tell the team "Boys, I'm in a bad way right now--help me out and let's really tighten up for a few games." On the other hand, it's also reasonable to want to keep that behind closed doors.

One argument that didn't resonate with me the other night was that Lundqvist is just being a leader here, pointing out team deficiencies like good leaders should. Does that make McD and Stepan bad leaders for not addressing Lundqvist's backbreakers?

One is a team breakdown, the other is a player breakdown, theres a huge difference when captains mention either.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Oh look, another game where Hank throws his defense under the bus.

I'm getting really tired of our forwards and defenders constantly falling on the sword for Hank, and Hank turning around with his dumbass comments about the shots he's facing. If you're making some big saves, that's one thing. But to give up the amount of soft goals he has this season AND have the nerve to complain, it's ridiculous. Yes, the defense is awful, but he's has been equally bad.

It's all in his head. It's amazing how fragile he's gotten at this point. He used to get even more zoned in after giving up a goal. Now, it's the exact opposite. Complete collapse. The man needs to see a sports psychiatrist.

Your post is borderline.

He never complained, nor did he throw his defense under the bus. Stop posting inaccurate information.

Last edited:

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
kinda hoping we get blown out so av gets canned

on the other hand hoping hank has a great hame, cuz, ya kno, thats kinda important

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
AV isn't getting fired this season no matter what he does.

A first round exit or missing the playoffs will most likely get him canned.

My dad and a HF poster mentioned the possibility that Lundy got a concussion when he was hit by Eakin. After reading some players comments I'm starting to wonder if something might be going on physically with him as well.

Henrik wouldn't play at all if he had a concussion. Back in the early 2000s maybe, but not in this era.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
You don't think that a string of blow outs from some so-so teams would result in the firing of AV?

Maybe Lundqvist knows that AV is on the hot seat and is sucking on purpose to get AV canned. :sarcasm:

IDK, as much as I'd like AV canned, I think he would at least be given until the end of the season. Even if it were an in season thing, reacting to a bad losing streak, they'd probably just make Arniel interim coach which I don't know how much it would change.

Ideally, AV gets canned this summer and so does Julien and we can get Claude to come here. I'd like that.

Something about AV that bothers me is how he talks about his goalies in his pressers. Often blaming them for loses or whatever. I mean, this is a coach who was blessed to have the 2 best starters of the last 15 years as his two starting goalies. He almost directly owes Luongo and Lundqvist for his reputation, yet he's so smug it's like he doesn't even appreciate them. We all saw what he did to Lu in Vancouver, then here he's played games with Hank. Now Hank is actually struggling and you can't get too much of a vote of confidence from AV aside from saying he's back in next game.

Say what you will about Torts, but he appreciated Hank. He would've died on the vine for Hank. After last game he would've defended Hank to the media.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Your post is borderline.

He never complained, nor did he throw his defense under the bus. Stop posting inaccurate information.

You like to constantly dismiss the opinions of others because, in your expert opinion, not playing goalie means you can't have a point of view.

Well, guess what? I've played both forward and goalie for years, to this very day. Leaders always take personal responsibility when things go wrong, especially in public. Anything that can even remotely be construed as criticism directed towards other teammates is done behind closed doors.

These guys watch film. They know who's to blame for each and every goal, but you never utter that in public. That's why Stepan and McDonagh are leaders. In their remarks, they take it all on themselves, even though they know the guy between the pipes making more than any of them can't seem to come up with a big save anymore. Hank, on the other hand, wants everyone to know he's not getting any help. While that's pretty much true, part of being the highest paid goalie in the league for years now means bailing your team out of more blunders than other goalies do, and not whine about it.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
kinda hoping we get blown out so av gets canned

I never root against this team outside of extremely intricate circumstances. :D

I must say though that I love the humor this board generates when we are getting blown out like last game.

I don't mean that sarcastically or maliciously either. Some of you guys are absolutely hilarious. It can really take out the sting of tough stretches. :laugh:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
A first round exit or missing the playoffs will most likely get him canned.

Henrik wouldn't play at all if he had a concussion. Back in the early 2000s maybe, but not in this era.

Do you mean that Lundy would not want to play after a concussion or the team would not let him? He might keep some symptoms to himself like Staal did in the past.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
The only way AV gets canned mid season is if they really fall apart like the Leafs/Habs last season. Not going to happen, at least I hope not.

Nor does he deserve to be fired. There's a reason we've only had 3 head coaches in 12 years... overall, sustained, success. This team is nowhere near the joke that some of you think it is.

Easy to tell who didn't experience the dark years. Or maybe they just gave me a low standard of success.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
The only way AV gets canned mid season is if they really fall apart like the Leafs/Habs last season. Not going to happen, at least I hope not.

Nor does he deserve to be fired. There's a reason we've only had 3 head coaches in 12 years... overall, sustained, success. This team is nowhere near the joke that some of you think it is.

Exactly. If the team loses 10-12 in a row, its certainly possible, however I doubt that happens. But never say never.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

Easy to tell who didn't experience the dark years. Or maybe they just gave me a low standard of success.

with sustained success comes higher expectations

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013

I don't think it's a joke but AV has shown here as well as in Vancouver that he can get in his own way. He's gotten us farther then Torts and company but does he really have the coaching ability to get us to win the Stanley cup? I'm not sure but I damn sure know there isn't another coach out there that's available with his success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad