45 Years ago - May 10, 1970 - The Greatest Moment In Bruins History

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bobby Orr goal was New England’s biggest sports moment

Every once and awhile KPD hits one outta the park.
Enjoy.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...orts-moment/QCpkqyJOhwE90Lq8YUUd1O/story.html

"For those age 50 and above, the moment lives on like no other in this town. Ray Lussier’s photograph of Orr, suspended in air, stick raised in reflex and triumph, still hangs in barrooms, repair shops, and maybe a rectory or two, all around town. Orr’s statue, capturing him in that very instant of triumph, in 2010 was placed at the edge of where the old Garden stood."

"Look, I know, there is no wrong answer when asked to name the greatest sports moment. Whatever it is, it’s right for you. But from an era when things so rarely went right in Boston sports, when nothing else seemed to matter beyond when the Bruins would next be on Channel 38, I’ll stick with the Orr goal.

Of all the tests, it is time that measures the moment. The Orr goal wins. Then. Now. Forever."

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have been alive for 3 Bruins Cup wins but wonderful as the night of June 15, 2011 in Vancouver was, THE GOAL will to me be the defining moment.

KPD feels the same way.

KEVIN PAUL DUPONT - ON SECOND THOUGHT

For me, the moment came 45 years ago Sunday, Mother’s Day 1970, when Bobby Orr mashed home Derek Sanderson’s return feed (Fred Cusick: “Orr . . . to Sanderson . . . back in front to Orr . . . shot, SCORES!’’) to clinch the Stanley Cup and then took flight gloriously across the Garden ice.

For those age 50 and above, the moment lives on like no other in this town. Ray Lussier’s photograph of Orr, suspended in air, stick raised in reflex and triumph, still hangs in barrooms, repair shops, and maybe a rectory or two, all around town. Orr’s statue, capturing him in that very instant of triumph, in 2010 was placed at the edge of where the old Garden stood.

KPD owns the only surviving copy of Fred Cusick's call of the goal as WBZ erased it years ago. He shared it with NESN a few years ago.

The 3 Cup wins - 1970, 1972, 2011 - are all wonderful stories.

1970 - There was NO drama during the Final as the Cup had really been won when the Bruins swept Chicago in the semi-finals. The St Louis series was a diversion from a horrible real world week that included Kent State. The Bruins also got a break when Montreal DNQ on the last day of the season as the Red Wings tanked a game to help the Rangers make the playoffs.

1972 - Bruins were on a mission that season to make up for what had happened in the 1971 playoffs against Montreal. There was no drama in the 72 playoffs, the only glitch was the Bruins losing Game 5 in the SCF at home forcing them to win at NY in Game 6.

2011 - The 2011 playoffs will never be topped for excitement and drama and it was made more special that we had to beat Montreal in a series to advance.

But 'The Goal' still stands alone in my book.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I have been alive for 3 Bruins Cup wins but wonderful as the night of June 15, 2011 in Vancouver was, THE GOAL will to me be the defining moment.

KPD feels the same way.

KEVIN PAUL DUPONT - ON SECOND THOUGHT

KPD owns the only surviving copy of Fred Cusick's call of the goal as WBZ erased it years ago. He shared it with NESN a few years ago.

The 3 Cup wins - 1970, 1972, 2011 - are all wonderful stories.

1970 - There was NO drama during the Final as the Cup had really been won when the Bruins swept Chicago in the semi-finals. The St Louis series was a diversion from a horrible real world week that included Kent State. The Bruins also got a break when Montreal DNQ on the last day of the season as the Red Wings tanked a game to help the Rangers make the playoffs.

1972 - Bruins were on a mission that season to make up for what had happened in the 1971 playoffs against Montreal. There was no drama in the 72 playoffs, the only glitch was the Bruins losing Game 5 in the SCF at home forcing them to win at NY in Game 6.

2011 - The 2011 playoffs will never be topped for excitement and drama and it was made more special that we had to beat Montreal in a series to advance.

But 'The Goal' still stands alone in my book.

No disrespect ,but the 2011 playoff run is the highlight for me . It was so satisfying , I remember talking to my friend ( a fellow Bruin fan) on the phone late in the 3rd when it was clear we were going to win and I said "I can die in peace " !

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No disrespect ,but the 2011 playoff run is the highlight for me . It was so satisfying , I remember talking to my friend ( a fellow Bruin fan) on the phone late in the 3rd when it was clear we were going to win and I said "I can die in peace " !

Read what I said about 2011 - we will never see a playoff year like it again but that was a collection of moments that ended with that wonderful third period in Vancouver where we could watch and relax and enjoy.

The Orr goal will live forever.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Yup,"the Bruins 22 year old sensation"- Dan Kelly-owned this town like no one before or since and so him scoring the goal embedded him in the hearts of millions like he was their child.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Bobby Orr, the reason I could not be brainwashed into my family's tradition of long suffering Leafs fans. Bobby was my hero.

Change the Leafs to the Habs and that's my story too. I've gotten a lot of flak for saying this over the years but Bobby Orr's OT Goal in 1970 means more to me than Paul Henderson's GWG in Game 8 of the Summit Series against the Russians in 1972.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
We moved to America in July of 1970. It was smoking hot and the Red Sox season was in full swing. However a day or two after we arrived our neighbor gave two young English kids a couple of hockey sticks and started teaching us how to take a slapshot. To my ears, Bobby Orr and the Big Bad Bruins is the only thing people talked about.

I remember vividly thinking to myself "Who is this Bobby Orr? He sounds like Pele." That October I found out pretty quickly that I was right........

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Really? The goal is iconic for sure and there's probably not a more memorable picture in all of hockey history, but it was a very lopsided match-up and not really a "greatest moment" in my opinion. That would be more of a Cinderella story or the accumulation of a good set of match-ups / close games (like the 2011 run). The Blues were the best of the expansion teams, but they had to be long-shots to top the Bruins. The fact that the game went into overtime is pretty surprising in itself (the other 3 games before the completion of the sweep were 6-1, 6-2, 4-1: an outscoring of 16-4). I dunno, I'm not even a Bruins fan, it's just not what I would consider the greatest moment in the teams history. Obviously, you're free to disagree :P.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Really? The goal is iconic for sure and there's probably not a more memorable picture in all of hockey history, but it was a very lopsided match-up and not really a "greatest moment" in my opinion. That would be more of a Cinderella story or the accumulation of a good set of match-ups / close games (like the 2011 run). The Blues were the best of the expansion teams, but they had to be long-shots to top the Bruins. The fact that the game went into overtime is pretty surprising in itself (the other 3 games before the completion of the sweep were 6-1, 6-2, 4-1: an outscoring of 16-4). I dunno, I'm not even a Bruins fan, it's just not what I would consider the greatest moment in the teams history. Obviously, you're free to disagree :P.

Huh? You have no clue.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast

That probably explains it.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
That probably explains it.

I don't know how anyone not living in the region could get it. The absolutely boiling energy around Boston was palpable,the love for Orr was pure idolatry and familial at the same time. He was everyone's big brother,little brother,son and fantasy. For him to be the one to score the goal to end the drought for that team which the region was also googly eyed over was pure storybook. It will never be matched. Sox in 04 was close,but in all his glory,Ortiz was not loved like Orr.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Mother's Day is always special, but for us Bruins' boomers, a May 10th Mother's Day will always be synonymous with Orr's Stanley Cup clinching goal.

For the post 1972 generation of current Bruins' fans, June 15, 2011 will live in their hearts and minds ala May 10, 1970.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
The beauty of Noel Picard tripping Orr after he had just scored was that the ensuing picture of Booby Orr flying though the air encapsulated the image of the greatest hockey player of his time and arguably the greatest of all time.

BearAttack

Jan 14, 2003
Niagara Wine Country
Visit site
For me it started a few years earlier growing up in Oshawa. My neighbour took me to a Generals game and they had a kid name Bobby Orr playing on the team. I was sold on hockey and more importantly the Bruins. That changed my life. No one in my family followed any sport. That moment I became not only a hockey fan but a sports fan. Thank you so much Mr. Orr.

p.s. I am also grateful that I didn't follow the team that won the cup the next year like so many other ten year olds - The Leafs!!!

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

The summer of '67 is still the coolest sports memory for me. The Red Sox winning the pennant that season in a 4 team race down to the wire was like nothing else New England had experienced before. The Sox hadn't had a .500 record since 1958. Yaz could have run for governor.

That said, Bobby Orr is my all-time favorite player (in any sport) and favorite person/pro athlete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad