Prospect Info: #44OA - Hurricanes select RHD Aleksi Heimosalmi

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Playing in the Assat Pori system, Aleksi Heimosalmi was an alternate captain on the Under-20 league affiliate this past season. This shows impressive leadership qualities as he only turned 18 in May. The young defenceman put up four goals and 17 assists for 21 points in 35 games. He was held pointless in two playoff games though. Heimosalmi was part of the Finnish team at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships in Plano, Texas. He was extremely impressive, scoring two goals and six assists for eight points in seven games, leading the tournament in points by a defenceman. Heimosalmi was named a top-three player on his team, the top defenceman in the tournament, and the tournament all-star team.

2021 NHL Draft #58: Aleksi Heimosalmi Scouting Report

Bearr

Dec 31, 2015
I haven't really seen him play, but from what I've read, even though he isn't the biggest guy, he doesn't shy away from corners or physical contact, maybe even the opposite? Nonetheless, he is sure to be given a shot at a top 4 spot (with possibly PP time) in the Ässät lineup for the upcoming season.

I have seen some highlights though, and personally I'm excited to go watch the games in person just because of him.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
At the NHL level, the deal will pay Heimosalmi $750,000 in 2021-22 and 2022-23 and $775,000 in 2023-24. The deal will pay Heimosalmi $80,000 at the American Hockey League (AHL) level for all three seasons, and he will receive a signing bonus of $277,500.

The signing bonus makes $92.5k per season, which means total salary for all seasons must be the full $925k, which means he got $82,500 Games Played bonus (10+ games) for 21/22 and 22/23 and $57,500 for 23/24.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’m a big fan of getting prospects signed ASAP, so like the fact they got headstart today with the 2 Finns. However, I wonder if this means anything for Honka or Puistola?

Maybe they’ve been offered ELCs just haven’t yet signed? Maybe not offered? Odd that Tieksola had been signed, but not Honka. I can see wanting to hold off for Puistola to show a little more in Liiga play.

Im probably reading way too much into it.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Did the past regimes sign non 1st rounders this quick after a draft? Only one I can think of that they tried too was Faulk IIRC but he wanted to stay his one year at UMD before signing.

Either way, exciting news. They clearly like the player if he's getting signed already

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad