Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

HIpuIq0.jpeg

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
I remember my Dad - here in Canada - cheering for the US like it was his Montreal Canadiens playing and had just won the Cup. No offence to the younger generation but like Team Canada vs Russia in ‘72, I think you had to live it and see how the world was at that time, especially for those of you in the US. To beat the Russians with the team they had was amazing. The way Brooks got them ready I think they could have played them 10 more times and beaten them 10 more in a row. The heart of the US team in the end pushed them to victory. If you don’t have heart all the talent in the world doesn’t mean squat.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I remember my Dad - here in Canada - cheering for the US like it was his Montreal Canadiens playing and had just won the Cup. No offence to the younger generation but like Team Canada vs Russia in ‘72, I think you had to live it and see how the world was at that time, especially for those of you in the US. To beat the Russians with the team they had was amazing. The way Brooks got them ready I think they could have played them 10 more times and beaten them 10 more in a row. The heart of the US team in the end pushed them to victory. If you don’t have heart all the talent in the world doesn’t mean squat.
Phenomenal post. Thank you for posting this.

People who didn’t live through the Cold War will never really understand just how big that game was.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
Since it wasnt televised live, remember listening at a friends on a small radio. Honestly werent sure the US won with crowd noise and we didn't truly believe it, till we saw the game on tv later that night.

As crazy as those last 10:00 were, my friend and I were reminising last week about the PK in the Finland game. How aggressive the US was and got the shortie to seal the deal. I need to watch that again.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Miracle on ice...one of there best hockey game I have witness. It was young and non professional players playing their heart and soul and winning against a politic professional machine. One of the biggest outcome in hockey world!!!

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Being born in 1988, my first memory of this game was when my dad and I visited the US Hockey Hall of Fame when I was 6 years old. I couldn't figure out why one section of the place just had a grainy VHS tape of some random Olympic hockey game between the Americans and this so-called "USSR" team playing on loop.

I get it now.

Probably the closest an actual sporting event has come to mimicking something that could only happen in a fictional movie. I started talking about the game with a few of my friends in college and they didn't believe me initially when I told them it was amateur/college players up against what were effectively some of the world's best professional athletes.

As an adult, even watching what is by modern standards low-quality video and audio, you can feel all of the tension and all of the excitement as it happens. Just amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad