Music: 43 Years Ago Today John Lennon

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1702047019572.png

43 years ago today John Lennon died. He's the only person I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I found out.

"There are places I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone and some remain

All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends, I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you"

Copyright The Beatles

Reactions: kihei

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
“Dimebag” Darrell Abbott of Pantera was also murdered onstage 19 years ago last night. :( :( :(

Like OP with Lennon, I too remember where I was when I found out about Dime that night. :(

Reactions: 93gilmour93

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What kind of world murders a Beatle? The sense of shock and loss has faded but is still palpable today.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I remember Elvis dying, but I was younger and wasn't that connected to his music.

On the other hand, I had become a huge Beatles fan in the 1970s. I'd bought John Lennon's Double Fantasy album and remember humming the tunes during the summer of 1980. His death hit me hard. Whatever dreams we had of seeing a full Beatles reunion died along with him.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
I had considered myself a little Beatlemaniac at the time. The day after Lennon was murdered, my dad took me to Mister Sound (record store), in the North York Sheridan Mall and I bought the blue and red albums, along with Magical Mystery Tour.
Last week on twitter, someone posted a video of when Howard Cosell announced Lennon's death on Monday night football, which I am sure many of us have seen umpteen times. However this video, also had the audio from the commercial break, which you can hear Cosell debating whether or not to announce it, and Frank Gifford telling Cosell that he must announce it. I had never heard that before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad