Prospect Info: 42OA: Andrew Gibson

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
IMG_0046.jpeg

Like I said before, this is the opposite of realgud.

This feels like Detroit is over correcting not picking Noah Warren last year instead of Dylan James, so they go for the two closest (yet worse) comparables this year.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
This is a great pick.

He is so sure handed with the puck and makes all the right simple plays. The game just seems easy and effortless for him and you will rarely ever see him make a mistake.

Brings the physical game and can skate. Great positionally. I’ve seen him play live a couple times and he really is a presence on the ice.

Was a standout at the U18’s for Canada. He does have a nice shot that could be developed aswell. The guy plays like a ‘natural’. I’m a big fan.

Reactions: raymond23

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This is a great pick.

He is so sure handed with the puck and makes all the right simple plays. The game just seems easy and effortless for him and you will rarely ever see him make a mistake.

Brings the physical game and can skate. Great positionally. I’ve seen him play live a couple times and he really is a presence on the ice.

Was a standout at the U18’s for Canada. He does have a nice shot that could be developed aswell. The guy plays like a ‘natural’. I’m a big fan.

That is quite opposite of every scouting report out there.

Reactions: ShanahanMan

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Hold on tight, Ogee, the ride isn't over yet!

Seems to be some nice upside to this pick. Detroit went from a blackhole on the right side of their future D before this draft to now having some decent depth. I like it. It was a need and it's been addressed.

Seider-ASP-Gibson down the right side, with AntJo a dark horse, not bad.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Hold on tight, Ogee, the ride isn't over yet!

Seems to be some nice upside to this pick. Detroit went from a blackhole on the right side of their future D before this draft to now having some decent depth. I like it. It was a need and it's been addressed.

Seider-ASP-Gibson down the right side, with AntJo a dark horse, not bad.

Andrew Gibson isn't fit to carry Anton Johansson's hockey bag.

This dude would have been available in the 4th round. Why the f*** did we pick him when there was...

Nilsson (tons of potential)
Kantserov
Strbak
Lind
Morin (ALSO A D!)
Nelson
Rehkopf
Fisker-Molgaard
Kumpulainen
Dvorak
Misiak
Dragicevic (ALSO A RD!)
Akey (ALSO A D)
Bertucci (ALSO A D)
Unger-Sorum
Sawchyn (so much talent right here)
Heidt (so much potential)
Pitre
Lardis
Nordh
Brzustewics (ALSO A D)
Ziemmer
Ludtke
Price (ALSO A D)
Perron

still on the board?

It's like, Detroit had an excel spreadsheet of the players they really liked on their sharepoint and someone accidentally deleted all of the names above Augustine, Cleveland and Gibson, and then didn't notify the team when it was time to draft. There is no way I believe we picked best player available for any of our 2nd picks.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Andrew Gibson isn't fit to carry Anton Johansson's hockey bag.
We'll see. Nothing against Johansson, but Wings scouting team took him 105th just a year ago. He's maybe outpacing his draft slot after this past year, but still, the same scouting team just took Gibson 42nd. I'm not certain, but I'm willing to bet that, at least for now, Gibson can carry Johansson's hockey bag ;)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
We'll see. Nothing against Johansson, but Wings scouting team took him 105th just a year ago. He's maybe outpacing his draft slot after this past year, but still, the same scouting team just took Gibson 42nd. I'm not certain, but I'm willing to bet that, at least for now, Gibson can carry Johansson's hockey bag ;)

The only thing Gibson has on Johansson is the "physicality". And even then he's not out there blowing people up.

I just...can't get behind this pick. With the talent on the table there was no f***ing way he wouldn't have been available in the 4th round. This isn't a Bertuzzi, "well he was buried and didn't play much and he was hurt" situation. This is a guy that wasn't good enough to play his way up.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
The only thing Gibson has on Johansson is the "physicality". And even then he's not out there blowing people up.

I just...can't get behind this pick. With the talent on the table there was no f***ing way he wouldn't have been available in the 4th round. This isn't a Bertuzzi, "well he was buried and didn't play much and he was hurt" situation. This is a guy that wasn't good enough to play his way up.
But he was hurt for a good chunk of the year, was a rookie, and has a whole 50 games of OHL exposure. He’s an intriguing prospect, Shea Weber didn’t look any more promising when he was drafted.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
But he was hurt for a good chunk of the year, was a rookie, and has a whole 50 games of OHL exposure. He’s an intriguing prospect, Shea Weber didn’t look any more promising when he was drafted.

Uh...yes he did. He didn't look like a rock solid #1 D, but he definitely looked like a future NHLer.

I will happily admit I'm wrong on Gibson when he shows it, but he hasn't showed much yet.

Carmine Cirella

Jun 29, 2023
Uh...yes he did. He didn't look like a rock solid #1 D, but he definitely looked like a future NHLer.

I will happily admit I'm wrong on Gibson when he shows it, but he hasn't showed much yet.
Weber had 2 goals and 18 points in 70 games in his draft year. I wonder how this board would have reacted if they drafted a player with numbers like that :huh:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's like, Detroit had an excel spreadsheet of the players they really liked on their sharepoint and someone accidentally deleted all of the names above Augustine, Cleveland and Gibson, and then didn't notify the team when it was time to draft. There is no way I believe we picked best player available for any of our 2nd picks.

Seems like they won't pick a player they haven't scouted in person, and it also appears they don't like to travel much.

The whole NA scouting group needs to be fired along with the pro scouts.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I can just imagine a tear slowly trickling down Hakan's cheek as Yzerman makes terrible Draper picks one after another.

Hakan: This Fisker-Molgaard kid is tenacious! You’ll love him!
Draper: Eh…hyphenated names are too hard for me to pronounce. Let’s get Cleveland instead.
Hakan: Well how about Nilsson?
Draper: Yeah yeah, we got him soon.

Draper proceeds to select Noah Dower-Nilsson next round after Felix Nilsson is picked.

Hakan: …I meant why not Felix…last round…
Draper: Liam’s got ANOTHER brother?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad