Post-Game Talk: #40 | Islanders 4 at FLYERS 6| Thu., Jan. 4, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
On the positive side, Weal-Patrick-Simmonds looked pretty good, and got a fair amount of ES ice time. Plus Filppula seems to have lost his spot on PP2, and PP2 actually scored a goal without help from any of the top 5 PP guys.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He shot before too. The problem is that his shot is about as dangerous as this dog.
thumbs_impossibly-cute-puppy-21.jpg

Sure, it might accidentally nip your finger, but it wasn't on purpose.

Gudas has done very well with a weakass wrist shot that just gets to the net, the key for a defensemen is to actually get the puck on the net rather than a 100 MPH slap shot that misses the net, hits the boards and bounces past everyone to trigger a breakaway in the other direction.

It's up to the forwards to screen the goalie and jump on rebounds.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I thought Ghost made several incredibly weak defensive plays last night.

Also, some really good offensive plays.

It’s just who he is.

Reactions: hatcher

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
On the positive side, Weal-Patrick-Simmonds looked pretty good, and got a fair amount of ES ice time. Plus Filppula seems to have lost his spot on PP2, and PP2 actually scored a goal without help from any of the top 5 PP guys.
I think it was Simmonds best game in a long while. Hopefully the coaches will keep these guys together for a bit so they can learn each others moves.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think it was Simmonds best game in a long while. Hopefully the coaches will keep these guys together for a bit so they can learn each others moves.

IIRC, that line played a lot together in preseason.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Can't make up imaginary complaints about Sanheim so we move on to Ghost?

:laugh: OK.
I'm literally shocked someone could have that evaluation.

He did miss that hip check in the slot; but he made 5-6 really noticeably solid defensive plays. You can tell they were noticeable because Jones and Therrien actually mentioned it, even though it wasn't Hagg doing it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
@NYCFlyer
Don't you disappear again.

You don't even read my posts, accuse me of personally attacking someone when I clearly didn't, I ask you to quote where I made the attack, then you never respond because no such thing ever actually happened.

Here's a few examples...

More of the same garbage. I don't always agree with him but at least deadhead tries to defend his position and talk hockey instead of just insulting other posters.

Quote the insult.
And then you disappeared because you couldn't quote what doesn't exist.

Honestly you are too sensitive. It is an opinion. I dont agree with it either but instead of attacking the poster, being sarcastic and condescending, just state your position and why you think so and let it go.

WE'RE DOING THIS AGAIN?!? :laugh:

Quote the personal attack.

(This is where you mysteriously disappear again since you cant quote something doesn't exist. Just like the last three times you tried this)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Again, you disappear and never quote the imaginary insult.

Make your points without personal attacks and putting down other posters.

Where did I make a personal attack? I specifically said the post was ignorant, not the poster. My exact words were "What an ignorant post." :laugh:

How many times will you cry about me "personally attacking" people when I specifically talk about the post instead of the poster? This is the third time now that you've embarrassed yourself by doing it. Each other time I asked you to quote where I made a personal attack... but then you never responded because you couldn't do it. Let's see if you respond this time...
Spoiler: No response.

You called a poster a "blatant liar" on THIS page 25 minutes ago. There are literally hundreds of examples since the season started. Go back and read just your last 25 posts.

That's a lie.

Here's the actual quote:
Oh, so he's making up blatent lies out of affection?

Ok.
So again, my post very clearly says one thing and you pretend it says something completely different.

Can't make up imaginary complaints about Sanheim so we move on to Ghost?

:laugh: OK.
Are you just putting down the poster? If not what did he say that you don't agree with?
Obviously not. You'd know that if you actually read the post I made.

As long as it takes for you to stop being such a dbag to other posters. Talk hockey not posters. Back up your points and have a civil discussion. Actually, you rarely add anything to the conversation and its mostly posts just above basically saying GhostBeer is "imagining" his views on Sanheim and his post on Ghost isn't valid because of that. Imo your attitude is one of the reasons this board has deteriorated into a rant rather than a discussion.

I came here 15 years ago to talk hockey. I've played and watched hockey my entire life and have been to over 1,000 professional hockey games live. I'm the bald guy in the front row. Come down and visit. Deadhead knows more about hockey in his little finger than you will ever know. You attack him personally or mock him because you can't adequately defend your own positions. The true mark of the incompetent. Stick to the sandwich thread and let the rest of us talk and debate hockey.

So how many more times do you plan on doing this? If anyone is attacking other posters, it's you.

Last edited:

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
@NYCFlyer
Don't you disappear again.

You don't even read my posts, accuse me of personally attacking someone when I clearly didn't, I ask you to quote where I made the attack, then you never respond because no such thing ever actually happened.

Here's a few examples...

And then you disappeared because you couldn't quote what doesn't exist.

Again, you disappear and never quote the imaginary insult.

Spoiler: No response.

So again, my post very clearly says one thing and you pretend it says something completely different.

Obviously not. You'd know that if you actually read the post I made.

So how many more times do you plan on doing this?
As long as it takes for you to stop being such a dbag to other posters. Talk hockey not posters. Back up your points and have a civil discussion. Actually, you rarely add anything to the conversation and its mostly posts just above basically saying GhostBeer is "imagining" his views on Sanheim and his post on Ghost isn't valid because of that. Imo your attitude is one of the reasons this board has deteriorated into a rant rather than a discussion.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So this is #6 then. :laugh:

And can't take the rest of your post seriously after how many times you've proven you don't actually read my posts. You obviously have no clue what I actually write. I have civil discussions all the time, but you wouldn't know that unless you read them.

I'm still waiting for you to address all the false accusations you made. Go ahead.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I was intrigued by the post-game Hakstol comments alluded to here. While the Gostisbehere quote is damning by faint praise, I didn't find it as bad as how others described it. There is definitely some teeth gritting when he says "a different look". Embrace it, Dave; you put your best all-around defenseman with your best offensive defenseman, and whatever perceived drop-off in own-zone coverage is more than made up for in the OZ activity.

Gostisbehere was noticeable defensively in the first with his active stick and his play-reading to take away passes and create turnovers. He isn't going to be body-slamming net-front presence opponents but his overall defensive game is very good.

The post-game quote that stuck out for me was in response to the question about whether Hakstol got edgy when the Islanders scored a couple in the third to make the game close, especially after having squandered a two-goal lead the last time they played the Islanders. Here is a direct quote:

“We can be better in the last 20 minutes. I thought we took our foot off the gas a little bit and against (the Islanders) they’ve got a history here of pushing hard in the 3rd if they’re down. And they can come hard, they do a good job. They’ve got pretty good offensive numbers for a reason. Give them some credit. But I thought we backed off some of that pressure that I talked about in the offensive zone early on. We didn’t come up with as many pucks, we didn’t spend nearly as much time in their zone. By nature, if you’re going to start to defend, that’s a group that you don’t want to spend your whole time chasing or defending against."​

Why on earth does he think that the offensive zone pressure and puck possession time evaporated? Maybe it's because he increased ice time of the very players who aren't as good with OZ – or even NZ – possession and who are exactly the types who spend their time backing off the Islanders and chasing them in the DZ.

This isn't rocket surgery. I'm glad that Hakstol recognized the lack of offensive push as the third period progressed, but dejected that it's for the same old glaringly obvious reason.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Its worse than we thought because Hakstol doesnt even understand that he is turtling the team. It would be one thing if he thought it was better to play more defensive even if you dont score, but he still wants them to be as offensive yet benches his best offensive players and doesnt see the connection.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem when you have a lead is the other team takes a lot more chances in your O-zone pursuing the puck, so a small defenseman who can be knocked off the puck is a liability even if he's great at creating pressure in the O-zone if someone else can win a board battle and get him the puck.

The real problem isn't that Ghost should be playing in those situations, it's that we don't have enough physical, experienced D-men who should be playing in those situations. And this will take a couple years to fix (because Morin and Myers will be physical, but not experienced).

The problem is both talent depth and talent composition, we not only need more talent, we need players who are better fits.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
by far the most entertaining game all year. Taylor leier 6 minutes -3. That maybe his last game for along time.

How can he be good - half the time he's in the press box and then he gets to play one sporadic game for 6 minutes. I am sure he was surrounded by horrible defenders for most of those goals as well. We tend to put the worst D-men out with the least experienced players. It makes tons of sense.

Bring up NAK, let Leier play and whoever else can hit the back of the net in the AHL. We aren't short of talent we just don't choose to play players who possess it.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I thought Ghost made several incredibly weak defensive plays last night.

Also, some really good offensive plays.

It’s just who he is.

I have no idea what you were watching. He was great defensively last night. Great anticipation, active stick, and even some inspired play along the walls. Recently, Ghost has very quietly developed a physical aspect to his game that's been surprisingly effective. He doesn't try to outmuscle guys but he's learned to use his anticipation, low center of gravity, and body positioning to come up with the puck more often than not.

He should be playing 25 minutes a night. He should also be getting some PK time. In fact, we should be trying just about anything on the PK. It's shit and has been for years now.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I have no idea what you were watching. He was great defensively last night. Great anticipation, active stick, and even some inspired play along the walls. Recently, Ghost has very quietly developed a physical aspect to his game that's been surprisingly effective. He doesn't try to outmuscle guys but he's learned to use his anticipation, low center of gravity, and body positioning to come up with the puck more often than not.

He should be playing 25 minutes a night. He should also be getting some PK time. In fact, we should be trying just about anything on the PK. It's **** and has been for years now.
He gave the puck away 2 times point blank where Elliot made huge saves. Far from perfect but the effort was there from all other than Weise and Little pup Leier. All d make mistakes. First game played the right way for 45 min and let build on it.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Could be. They loved VdV and convinced themselves he was a PKer. It surprises no one that VdV isn't in the NHL now. He probably wouldn't have been years ago if not for Hex/Hak.

The Vandevelde obsession...guy owned a roster spot no matter what. That North Dakota brotherhood + him being the prototypical Hakstol player (dull, nothing exciting, what you see is what you get). It was like Randy Jones/John Stevens all over again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad