Player Discussion #40 Elias Pettersson, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Virtanen does crash the net and he can do it extremely well with his speed and size. He used to be a perimeter player but has cleaned that part of his game up recently. Still doesn’t play with much sandpaper the way he did in his rookie season but hopefully he will realize he has to to keep his job.
I was talking about how the players Pettersson played last year didn't play like Virtanen. None of them was a fast power forward with great speed. He played with small technical waterbug types (Rosén/Pesonen) or defense first centers (Rasmussen/Shinnimin).

Try reading the post

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
I was talking about how the players Pettersson played last year didn't play like Virtanen. None of them was a fast power forward with great speed. He played with small technical waterbug types (Rosén/Pesonen) or defense first centers (Rasmussen/Shinnimin).

Try reading the post

See my post above (granted Shinnimin isn't large but he's fast and an agitator).

Last edited:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
The only question mark is does he have the strength to win face offs in the NHL. Other than that his game is very suited to the Center position.

Yes, you definitely have to be strong to win face offs. That’s why Kyle Wellwood was terrible at face offs, because he was weak and out of shape. It is certainly not a technical expertise that is learned, it is simply a feat of strength. Great analysis.

novon04

Dec 21, 2011
Ummm demonstrably false:

Brendan Shinnimin hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Brendan Shinnimin was an absolute pain in the ass, led Vaxjo in PIM and played regularly on Pettersson's line. Any other gems?
EP played most of the playoffs with Robert Rosen and Tuomas Kiiskinen. EP did well with many different linemates during the season but I would say he was most successful with those two.

Tuomas Kiiskinen at eliteprospects.com
Robert Rosén at eliteprospects.com

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
See my post above (granted Shinnimin isn't large but he's fast and an agitator).
I followed Vaxjo very closely last year and Rosen and Shinnimin seemed to be with 'the Alien' most of the time.
And I watched Växjö live 8 times last year. I don´t think Shinnimin ,who I don´t remember was one of Petterssons regular line mates ,they played mostly together on PP as far as I recall, plays the games like Virtanen. Virtanen is fast straight line player that hits, Shinnimin is like an Alex Burrows in play style IMO.

As far as I remember Pettersson played mostly with Pesonen and Rosen. Later on with Rasmussen . He definatly played with Rasmussen and Pesonen in the playoffs unless Im getting senile.

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
After watching all of Pettersson points last year, Im apparently senile. Almost all of his playoffs scoring was with Rosen and Kiskinen. 2 small waterbug players. Shinnimin was part of 4 of Elias 19 playoff points, all on the PP.

During the regulars season Shinnimin was part of 11 of Elias 56 its. 5 of those 11 pts were scored on the PP.

Elias most regular linemate was Rosén (at least the guy who were in mostly on the same points. Calof played on that line and som did Shinnimin. But Kiskinen played there during the playoffs.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
After watching all of Pettersson points last year, Im apparently senile. Almost all of his playoffs scoring was with Rosen and Kiskinen. 2 small waterbug players. Shinnimin was part of 4 of Elias 19 playoff points, all on the PP.

During the regulars season Shinnimin was part of 11 of Elias 56 its. 5 of those 11 pts were scored on the PP.

Elias most regular linemate was Rosén (at least the guy who were in mostly on the same points. Calof played on that line and som did Shinnimin. But Kiskinen played there during the playoffs.

OK, I had thought it was more but thanks for clarifying. I agree Shinnimin and Virtanen play a bit differently but I still contend that Virtanen (or a player like him) will work really well with EP especially in the more physical NHL.

Again, thanks for doing the research, must have been awesome seeing EP play live, excited for that this season!

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
He’s gonna do 20-40 in his rookie year. 60 points

Gosh I hope so. It will be interesting to see how much time he gets at center and if he can match up physically when slotted there. What's his weight, 165lbs? That's a small body gentleman, a small body.

Reactions: Grantham

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Gosh I hope so. It will be interesting to see how much time he gets at center and if he can match up physically when slotted there. What's his weight, 165lbs? That's a small body gentleman, a small body.

You have great future ahead of you working in Broadcasting and maybe even as an NHL GM ;)

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Yes, you definitely have to be strong to win face offs. That’s why Kyle Wellwood was terrible at face offs, because he was weak and out of shape. It is certainly not a technical expertise that is learned, it is simply a feat of strength. Great analysis.
Ugh. I read your first sentence and my head nearly exploded and went into research mode.

Since they started tracking faceoff stats... Kyle Wellwood is our 3rd best faceoff man since 1996 (min 200 draws).

Then of course I read the rest of your post and see that you were being sarcastic. Lesson learned.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see Pettersson is one of the early favorites for the Calder....I really hope Green puts him with some decent offensive players and then sticks with him through the inevitable ups and downs. He needs decent time on the pp and a lot of offensive zone starts to refine his scoring touch on the smaller ice. But I have a bad feeling that the first time he screws up defensively, the coach will tether him to somebody like Beagle or Sutter.

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
OK, I had thought it was more but thanks for clarifying. I agree Shinnimin and Virtanen play a bit differently but I still contend that Virtanen (or a player like him) will work really well with EP especially in the more physical NHL.

Again, thanks for doing the research, must have been awesome seeing EP play live, excited for that this season!
Watching Pettersson play especially in the playoffs was fantastic. He was the best player on the ice almost every night I saw him play.

I dont think Virtanen right now should be a top 6 player (maybe he'll get there), but I get get your point of playing a power forward with Pettersson, Tkachuk would have been nice to have.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I will follow how Elias Pettersson will develop for you guys. He's a one of the best bet for Sweden to get another elite forward, one of not too many prospects. And it will be a test of the SHL, when thinking how easily he dominated the SHL playoffs.

I expect him to maybe have slow start, but at christmas time to be scoring as a solid to good top 6 forward.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I see Pettersson is one of the early favorites for the Calder....I really hope Green puts him with some decent offensive players and then sticks with him through the inevitable ups and downs. He needs decent time on the pp and a lot of offensive zone starts to refine his scoring touch on the smaller ice. But I have a bad feeling that the first time he screws up defensively, the coach will tether him to somebody like Beagle or Sutter.

I suspect that Dahlin might interfere with his Calder chances. ...

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I suspect that Dahlin might interfere with his Calder chances. ...

If we look at last year, EP impressed more than Dahlin, even if Dahlin got a pretty unique skillset. I think EP is closer to his potential cealing than Dahlin, who will have his best seasons in 5-15 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
LMAO facts

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Dahlin this Dahlin that...many are betting on the wrong Swede me thinks.
Pettersson > Dahlin - but that's just me i guess.

Don't get me wrong. Im absolutely ecstatic we have Pettersson.

But...

Just by value of position; An elite D man is always worth more than an elite winger.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Don't get me wrong. Im absolutely ecstatic we have Pettersson.

But...

Just by value of position; An elite D man is always worth more than an elite winger.

But.....

When's the last time D-man for example has been in a key role in Stanley Cup play-offs (winning a SC) ?
-from last 6 Conn Smythe winners, 3 have been Wingers

I think its a "myth" that D-man has automatically always more value than winger, elite winger.
Part of the old ways of thinking, not that i diminish the role of a D-man,not at all.

Many young&modern winger in today's NHL are super versatile,
play like secondary centers really and more valuable what fans, "experts" think.

- My take on the matter -

Reactions: Grantham
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad