4-on-4 Roller Hockey Breakouts

dbargaehr

May 13, 2011
Hey folks,

This is my first post here, love the forum. So here's the skinny:

I play 4v4 non-checking roller hockey WITH offsides and icing rules. I've been looking for breakout strategies for several weeks now, because that's the first issue we're having with the team is breaking out as a single unit. I've watched a bunch of videos, read tons of material about breakouts with traditional 5-on-5 hockey, but 4-on-4 changes things significantly IMO.

Does anyone have any resources regarding 4v4 breakouts?

Here's how our breakouts currently function:

D1 with puck below goal line.
OPTION 1: F1 on the strong side at half-wall.
OPTION 2: D2 goes to weak side corner below goal line.
OPTION 3: Carry the puck if there's no pressure.
OPTION 4: send the puck high off strong or weak side glass to clear if other options are not available.

IF OPTION 1: F2 drives up middle to receive the pass from F1, and brings it out of the zone. Problem: F1 is way ahead of the other 3 players with speed; this means it's usually a 1 on 2 situation if the other 3 players can't catch up to the play.
IF OPTION 2: Second defenseman receives puck and can either carry, chip out, pass back to D1, or pass to F2 driving up middle. Problem: pass to F2 up the middle can be intercepted easily as pass goes through the weakside circle/high slot area.
IF OPTION 3: Problem: last man back, any attempt at a move could result in breakaway. Problem 2: our forwards have no speed moving into the neutral zone.
IF OPTION 4: Regroup, try to break up next attack in neutral zone.

In 5v5 hockey, there would be 2 wingers along the boards. The problems we have are as follows: 1) F1 on the boards gets pinched, loses puck. 2) Forwards break with speed too early, resulting in essentially a 4-on-2 in our zone. 3) When playing man-to-man in our system, when D1 gains possession it is difficult for F1 to get into position in time for the pass to the half-wall.

As for breaking into their zone, we don't really have much of a system. Our best fowards can usually carry the puck in deep enough to give the defensemen time to set up at the blue line, but if there's a good defenseman or two on their team we're in trouble...we've tried dump and chase but only a few guys have the speed for it. The majority of our goals come from solid forechecking and broken plays on the other team's end.

Any suggestions? Any material on 4v4 hockey would be much appreciated. I searched other threads but didn't find anything directly related (it's possible I missed it, feel free to call me n00b and link me to a thread that pertains to this).

Thanks in advance!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad