OT: 4 NHL Expansion Teams by 2017?

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Worst case is it equals out? But best case is all four eventually turn profit?

No, I think the point of the article is that:

Las Vegas is short of profitability by 210k to 310k fans.
Seattle is short by 60k to 160k.

QC and Toronto could reasonably expected to be profitable from the start. The NHL, being interested in profit, would not select Las Vegas or Seattle.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
No, I think the point of the article is that:

Las Vegas is short of profitability by 210k to 310k fans.
Seattle is short by 60k to 160k.

QC and Toronto could reasonably expected to be profitable from the start. The NHL, being interested in profit, would not select Las Vegas or Seattle.

Yeah, so lets do the math -1-1+1+1=0

So it would equal out..in terms of how the league would fair. The owners/western teams would have to get some profit share (NHL welfare) to even survive the first 10 years.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
That's exactly the point. There would be no reason to include the two minuses. The four cities are not a package deal. And the two which would be excluded are pretty obvious, LV and Seattle.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
That's exactly the point. There would be no reason to include the two minuses. The four cities are not a package deal. And the two which would be excluded are pretty obvious, LV and Seattle.

So the east would have 4 more teams than the west? haha good one.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I think it would only be two teams, Seattle and Vegas. The reason I think that is because the west is short two teams from being even with the east. To keep it uneven sounds like a dumb idea.

Vegas has a NHL ready arena and good size population and visitors that the team could do alright. I'd prefer Houston but it probably takes away from the Stars market which is not very big at the moment but should grow quickly because they are going to be a really good team for a few years. Vegas would be nice because I think they would be the Coyotes geographical rivals. Lastly, it will drive some people mad :)

Seattle is only a matter of time. They have been asking for an NHL team and almost landed the Coyotes...if I remember that correctly. Seattle is also building a new arena and I think they are also trying to get the NBA back in town.

I really don't expect another Toronto team or a Quebec team.

Nailed it. The whole point of the expansion talk is to have 16 teams in the West to match the East

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
You do realize that balancing to 16 and 16, is as easy as telling some teams that are now in the East - "Starting in 20XX, you are in the West"...

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
You do realize that balancing to 16 and 16, is as easy as telling some teams that are now in the East - "Starting in 20XX, you are in the West"...

It's actually not that easy. If I remember correctly re-alignment had to be approved by the board of governors. Why do you think they would be okay with that? I sure know two teams that would oppose this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad