OT: 4 NHL Expansion Teams by 2017?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Howard Bloom ‏@SportsBizNews

NHL expansion – four teams added by 2017, Quebec City, Toronto, Seattle, and Las Vegas $1.4b in expansion fees

I have no problem with expansion, but this is too many in a short amount of time if true. This could hurt quite a few teams and we could be one of them via multiple expansion drafts in a short amount of time.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Four new NHL expansion teams? Vegas, Seattle, Toronto and Quebec by 2017: Report

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...nd-the-dumb-deal-on--done-deal-065603703.html

Vegas is a great one because I would go to every Coyotes game. However its the worst one for that reason. It would be difficult to build a local fan base when its marketed towards the visiting team. It could be profitable though but the main industry is tourism which doesn't pay a lot; thus local fans (like here) would call the tickets "expensive" and wouldn't go.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I have no problem with expansion, but this is too many in a short amount of time if true. This could hurt quite a few teams and we could be one of them via multiple expansion drafts in a short amount of time.

I don't know; I'd almost rather lose two players along with four potential supposedly highest-quality relocation destinations. All I'm hoping for is that 4 years from now, staying is an ever-so-slightly better option than leaving.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Cant imagine there will be four. I can see two, at most. One being Seattle and the other being east, possibly quebec or another midwest state like Wisconsin.

More revenue sharing if the teams go haywire at the beginning since its something new.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if a Vegas team takes a good chunk of the Kings and Ducks Fans in the Vegas Area with them largely in part because many of the California Transplants in the Vegas Area have become Anti-California overtime. Hell, I'd gladly make the trip to see the Coyotes in Vegas than over in LA, especially after seeing more and more Kings Fans have become what they loathe in the relocationists with their garbage attacks on our market and wishing for us to lose our team.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Twitter? From "SportsBizNews"? A second Toronto team? Yeah, don't stay up late worrying about this ...
I don't know; I'd almost rather lose two players along with four potential supposedly highest-quality relocation destinations. All I'm hoping for is that 4 years from now, staying is an ever-so-slightly better option than leaving.
"Almost?" I'd give away half the roster if it took Quebec City and Seattle off the board.

... but I'll play your game. Using the rules from the 2000 draft (Wild and Blue Jackets), teams could protect:
a) 1x goaltender, 5x defensemen, and 9x forwards or
b) 2x goaltenders, 3x defensemen, and 7x forwards

I'll take Option A both now and in the future:

Today:
Smith ... expose Dubnyk
OEL, Yandle, Murphy, Stone, Michalek ... expose Summers and Schlemko ... Gormley exempt
Doan, Hanzal, Gagner, Boedker, Vermette, Erat, Korpikoski, Vitale, Moss ... expose McMillan, Klink, Chip, Crombeen ... Domi, Perlini, Samuelsson, Gaudet, Rieder, Lessio etc exempt

2 summers from now:
Insert Gormley for Michalek or Stone ... insert Domi, Samuelsson and Perlini for Doan, Moss and Erat
Don't see these drafts bothering us at all.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Hence why I used the word, "could" and not "will" It's nice to know that this isn't something to lose sleep over at this time but this is still too many team in a short amount of time, IMO.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I think it would only be two teams, Seattle and Vegas. The reason I think that is because the west is short two teams from being even with the east. To keep it uneven sounds like a dumb idea.

Vegas has a NHL ready arena and good size population and visitors that the team could do alright. I'd prefer Houston but it probably takes away from the Stars market which is not very big at the moment but should grow quickly because they are going to be a really good team for a few years. Vegas would be nice because I think they would be the Coyotes geographical rivals. Lastly, it will drive some people mad :)

Seattle is only a matter of time. They have been asking for an NHL team and almost landed the Coyotes...if I remember that correctly. Seattle is also building a new arena and I think they are also trying to get the NBA back in town.

I really don't expect another Toronto team or a Quebec team.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I’m all for expansion. I think it’s definitely happening, adding at least 2 teams. Then, either stop at 32 or go to 36, as 34 doesn’t make sense for balancing the divisions.

If the league was expanding to Quebec, Toronto, Halifax, Saskatoon, Victoria, and Moose Jaw, the argument for “diluting” the league would be far, far more muted.

I think Seattle is top of the list. Just need an arena. That market fits in our division, as would Las Vegas, and that’s where it gets tricky. We can’t rule out Portland either.

Kansas is a perfect fit for the Central and has the Spirit Center, except it may not have a willing owner. Other markets that make sense for the Central and have arenas that are ready to go: Houston, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee, Cleveland.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I think expansion by 2 teams is most likely. Expanding by 4 seems almost overly-ambitious on the NHL's part.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Playing around with the idea of 36 teams. 9 teams per division.

Pacific - Ana, LA, SJ, AZ, Van, Cgy, Edm, Seattle, LV
Central - Chi, Col, Min, Nas, Wpg, Dal, Stl, KC, Oklahoma
Atlantic - Tor, Ott, Bos, Buf, Mtl, Det, Fla, TB, QC
Metro - NYI, NYR, NJ, Pit, Phi, Cbj, Car, Wsh, Toronto #2

Depending on who can get an arena ready to go, you can swap Portland for Seattle. In place of KC and OC, you can look at Houston and Milwaukee. Cleveland might make sense in the East in place of Toronto 2.

howlincoyote2k1

Apr 14, 2005
Provo, Utah
I don't understand a second team in Toronto. How are they going to build a fanbase made out of their own fans in a city dominated by the Leafs? I can't imagine the existing hockey fans there are going to switch allegiances at the drop of a hat like that.

For example, I'm a Coyotes fan, but if Phoenix got a second team, I might wish them well but I'd still be a Coyotes fan first.

Another example; I live in Utah. If we were to get a team up in SLC, they'd instantly be my #2 team...Coyotes remaining #1.

I just don't see Torontonians doing anything different.

edit: That said, I like Seattle, not completely sold on Vegas, big no to Toronto, and Quebec...meh. Would much rather see a team go to Houston, KC or Portland.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't understand a second team in Toronto. How are they going to build a fanbase made out of their own fans in a city dominated by the Leafs? I can't imagine the existing hockey fans there are going to switch allegiances at the drop of a hat like that.

A lot of people hate the Leafs and what they represent, sort of like the Yankees. There's plenty of room and demand in Toronto for another team.

I don't like Vegas over Houston. Then again, that's a nice chunk of change that will be coming to the Coyotes and could pay down some debts. It's the same for every team that needs a cash infusion. 1.4 bil split thirty ways is $46 million a team.

I've always argued for another big wave of expansion to raise up the weak teams with even more revenue and market growth.

huhwhtfkr

Aug 21, 2010
the NHL needs 2 more teams for balance. I like SLC better than LV but seattle should be a lock.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Someone made a lengthy post in the Business thread about this, and it makes sense for Vegas. They could package NHL tickets with a trip to Vegas. They do this with most shows, so why not do this with NHL games? It makes sense, and it's a couple hours of something to do.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Someone made a lengthy post in the Business thread about this, and it makes sense for Vegas. They could package NHL tickets with a trip to Vegas. They do this with most shows, so why not do this with NHL games? It makes sense, and it's a couple hours of something to do.

Yes, and the "traditionalist" will scream.." A hockey team can be successfully run by people visiting. All they want to do in Vegas is gamble."

But what about the magicians and the Intel blue guys? I think its a great idea because people go to Vegas to entertained. There is some retired people escaping the cold for their bones sake. I think it would be awesome and I believe they would be our geographical rival.

But what would their team name be?

The Los Vegas Slots...Los Vegas Silver Miners..Los Vegas Aliens..The Vegas Dealers..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad