4 Nations Face-Off February 2025 NHL/NHLPA international event, four teams

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Exactly. The combination of the number of players available and this being an NHLPA only tournament makes it impossible to field other teams.

Frankly, if this is what they need to do to get the damn thing off the ground then it's fine with me for now. The thing that makes these tournaments work is when they're a tradition every 2 or 4 years. They need to re-establish this and you can't re-establish something without starting somewhere. Ultimately, you rope in the IIHF... but let's just get going already.
They had 9 years to establed it from last time and 8 years before that.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Exactly. The combination of the number of players available and this being an NHLPA only tournament makes it impossible to field other teams.

Frankly, if this is what they need to do to get the damn thing off the ground then it's fine with me for now. The thing that makes these tournaments work is when they're a tradition every 2 or 4 years. They need to re-establish this and you can't re-establish something without starting somewhere. Ultimately, you rope in the IIHF... but let's just get going already.
Then why not have heritage teams like having an Italian team full of Canadian nhl players of Italian descent?

Poro24

May 4, 2005
Finland
There is not another sport that treats international fans worse than hockey. Again, money matters more than fans. As a Finn, I will have zero interest in tournament like this. Why not include Czech, Swizz and Germany?! If this is not possible, just let NHL players to participate Olympics!

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
There is not another sport that treats international fans worse than hockey. Again, money matters more than fans. As a Finn, I will have zero interest in tournament like this. Why not include Czech, Swizz and Germany?! If this is not possible, just let NHL players to participate Olympics!
Why dosent the nhl work with the iihf and other leagues like mlb does with the wbsc and japan league for the wbc?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Segment starts with international talk. IIHF, IOC and NHL/NHLPA have Wednesday phone call scheduled. Bettman meeting with reporters Friday (at ASG events), so announcement could be coming for 2025 4-nation event, 2026 Olympics, 2028 World Cup.

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
I also kind of enjoyed both the Team North America (aka young stars) and Team Europe last time around, but I suspect it was a bit of an embarassment when Team Europe went to the final last time around, so that's probably why they did away with that idea.
I was a vociferous Team North America fan during that World Cup and I will defend that tournament's format with anyone who wants to argue about it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The main question I have is whether or not the NHL was able to get the rights to show highlights on their website and in their apps, which has been a major sticking point in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad