Proposal: #4 dman rental to Anaheim

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I like Tanev a lot. Is he healthy right now? I’m not certain but he has/had been injured no? I would do ( and other duck fans wont agree with me) I would do a Montour for Tanev swap straight up. My logic being we get an immediate upgrade in actual defensive ability( guys like welinski and even mahura later on can replace him for next season )Giving us a

Lindholm/Manson
Fowler/Tanev
Beuchemin/Bieksa
and next season Larson replaces Bieksa and one of our other youngsters replace Beauchemin( unless he wants to sign another 1 year cheap deal. Cuz he’s been solid) Cuz I honestly feel that Montour is our next Vatanen in terms of a lot of defensive meltdowns and also a guy we try and trade later on anyways given that Lindholm/Fowler/Manson go nowhere and Larson is just a more reliable and cheaper/younger talent going forward.And then for #5/6 dman we will always have many of those readily available
How about Larsson stays healthy for a full season in the AHL before we start claiming Larsson is a more reliable and better talent going forward over Montour.

Reactions: Spazkat

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
How about Larsson stays healthy for a full season in the AHL before we start claiming Larsson is a more reliable and better talent going forward over Montour.
I’ll take my chances. But see your point obviously.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Besides, given what we know about how BM handles TDL acquisitions, does anyone really think that they will spend the assets to get a rental top 4 D and then park 4M in the pressbox? Especially since it would most likely mean being without a 1st for a 2nd year in a row in a deep draft. Hardly BM's style.[/QUOTE]
You realize RC would just put Beauch in the press box before Bieksa right? Basically going back to what we had at the start of the season.

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Montour/TDL acquistion
Bieksa-Montour/TDL acquisition

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I like Tanev a lot. Is he healthy right now? I’m not certain but he has/had been injured no? I would do ( and other duck fans wont agree with me) I would do a Montour for Tanev swap straight up. My logic being we get an immediate upgrade in actual defensive ability( guys like welinski and even mahura later on can replace him for next season )Giving us a

Lindholm/Manson
Fowler/Tanev
Beuchemin/Bieksa
and next season Larson replaces Bieksa and one of our other youngsters replace Beauchemin( unless he wants to sign another 1 year cheap deal. Cuz he’s been solid) Cuz I honestly feel that Montour is our next Vatanen in terms of a lot of defensive meltdowns and also a guy we try and trade later on anyways given that Lindholm/Fowler/Manson go nowhere and Larson is just a more reliable and cheaper/younger talent going forward.And then for #5/6 dman we will always have many of those readily available.Also it wouldn’t address the Bieksa situation, but it would however limit the big mistakes going forward ( that seem to come 80% of the time from Bieksa and the rest from Montour )

We are not trading Montour for injury prone Tanev who will be gone after the next two season because of cost. Also that Beauchemin - Bieksa pair you listed yuck.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It might be cheaper/ more practical to get a solid #5 d-man who can cover for Bieksa in limited minutes (around 14 per night?). Move Montour into the top 4 (he may not be great there, but better than Bieksa) and shelter the new 3rd pairing. Move Beauch to #7 d-man for the year

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Holden has been playing with McD most of the season. I'm sure we'd send him over for a 3rd + 6th. If you were interested in the cheaper option.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
For me as a Ducks fan I think a 2 year player actually makes some sense. I dont know about other Ducks fans But I have a hard time seeing BM allowing Montour to take a top 4 role next year and 2 rookies coming up to to be a 3rd pair. He likes veteran leadership and without Bieksa and Beauch our oldest D man would be Fowler. Well if you exclude Holzer who can't even get into our line up regularly. So adding another older guy to act as that calm older vet makes some sense. I'd much prefer that to him resigning Bieksa, something i sadly can see BM doing based on the above rational. My ideal target would be Hjalmarsson from Arz. Reasonable cap hit that I think we can manage next year with the increase in cap. It would also give us flexability next year. You could keep Hammer with Fowler and player Montour on the 3rd pair with one of the rookies in sheltered minutes or move Montour up and let Hammer shelter the rookie. All while still maintaining and older vet in the roster. I'd probably offer anything but our first this year or Steel. Including Ritchie. Larsson I'd be a bit torn about including but hes not a deal breaker for me. Not when we Lso have Pettersson and Mahura as LD as well.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
For me as a Ducks fan I think a 2 year player actually makes some sense. I dont know about other Ducks fans But I have a hard time seeing BM allowing Montour to take a top 4 role next year and 2 rookies coming up to to be a 3rd pair. He likes veteran leadership and without Bieksa and Beauch our oldest D man would be Fowler. Well if you exclude Holzer who can't even get into our line up regularly. So adding another older guy to act as that calm older vet makes some sense. I'd much prefer that to him resigning Bieksa, something i sadly can see BM doing based on the above rational. My ideal target would be Hjalmarsson from Arz. Reasonable cap hit that I think we can manage next year with the increase in cap. It would also give us flexability next year. You could keep Hammer with Fowler and player Montour on the 3rd pair with one of the rookies in sheltered minutes or move Montour up and let Hammer shelter the rookie. All while still maintaining and older vet in the roster. I'd probably offer anything but our first this year or Steel. Including Ritchie. Larsson I'd be a bit torn about including but hes not a deal breaker for me. Not when we Lso have Pettersson and Mahura as LD as well.
I could get behind this for sure

Last edited:

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
You realize RC would just put Beauch in the press box before Bieksa right? Basically going back to what we had at the start of the season.

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Montour/TDL acquistion
Bieksa-Montour/TDL acquisition

Bieksa doesn't play the left side ever. Given the way Carlyle seems to feel about Bieksa any RHD pickup we get would be either pushing Montour out or forcing him to play on his offside and carry Bieksa (IMO forcing Vatanen to do that so often was part of the reason he looked so bad and never seemed to "regain his form"). Since I don't recall Montour ever playing the left side successfully for any length of time what would happen is more like this

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Montour/Bieksa/TDL Acquisition
Holzer/Beauch - Montour/Bieksa/TDL Acquisition

If you're looking to replace Beauch, we only need a 3rd pairing LHD which is a much cheaper proposition.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA
Other than Green and Jack Johnson (Who I don't envision being traded anyway due to the playoff race) a lot of the UFA rentals are 2nd-pair tweeners at best. But for a playoff run, those type of guys can definitely elevate their own game anyway.

I would assume Green would cost a 2nd + decent prospect.

If the Penguins find a trade for a 3C with another team, they need to shed some salary. I'd personally like to hang onto Ian Cole, but I assume the Penguins want to trade him for a 2nd to make it worth their while. Cole could be a good fit with the Ducks, as his game definitely raises to another level come April and on. For that reason, I'd prefer the Penguins not trade him and let him ride out his contract. But it's not without the realm of possibility. Ian Cole has had a lot of success with Schultz the past couple of years, easy to envision the same level of success with a guy like Fowler. Cole can also play both sides. Usually LD when paired with Schultz but has played quite a bit of RD as well.

Other options for the Ducks perhaps, Barberio has had a good year with the Avalanche, so if they stumble I assume he could be had. Just another tweener is all. The price wouldn't be outrageous at least.

Perhaps De Haan could be had from the Isles, but again, playoff implications. If they do wish to trade him, I'd imagine it'd be for bottom-6 help, and by the sounds of it, you don't want to trade any of your forwards, etc.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Other than Green and Jack Johnson (Who I don't envision being traded anyway due to the playoff race) a lot of the UFA rentals are 2nd-pair tweeners at best. But for a playoff run, those type of guys can definitely elevate their own game anyway.

I would assume Green would cost a 2nd + decent prospect.

If the Penguins find a trade for a 3C with another team, they need to shed some salary. I'd personally like to hang onto Ian Cole, but I assume the Penguins want to trade him for a 2nd to make it worth their while. Cole could be a good fit with the Ducks, as his game definitely raises to another level come April and on. For that reason, I'd prefer the Penguins not trade him and let him ride out his contract. But it's not without the realm of possibility. Ian Cole has had a lot of success with Schultz the past couple of years, easy to envision the same level of success with a guy like Fowler. Cole can also play both sides. Usually LD when paired with Schultz but has played quite a bit of RD as well.

Other options for the Ducks perhaps, Barberio has had a good year with the Avalanche, so if they stumble I assume he could be had. Just another tweener is all. The price wouldn't be outrageous at least.

Perhaps De Haan could be had from the Isles, but again, playoff implications. If they do wish to trade him, I'd imagine it'd be for bottom-6 help, and by the sounds of it, you don't want to trade any of your forwards, etc.
I think jack Johnson would be an alright fit w/fowler I think they played together @ the Olympics and looked pretty solid together. Green I don't really have interest in. Cole could be interesting, I also think gudbranson could be a solid pick up for the next 2 seasons( I think)... and a guy like Psyke out of florida for next 2 years would be good too.

If Arizona is selling hjarlm id hope wed at least look at that option as it would basically put us in the drivers seat in the west for the next 2 seasons. You add him to the team and we will be scary for the rest of the year + next year.

I think we can get someone that is signed 2 years, if we think its worth it.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Johnson, Cole and Gudbranson are all pending UFA's. Johnson is looking for a payday and given what I've seen of Gudbranson it probably wouldn't be long before we were ready to have Bieksa back. Pysyk is more a bottom pairing D as well.

Hjalmarsson would be solid, but the price will be high as there will be a ton of demand if he's made available. So that's a ton of assets going out to acquire him, 4M in salary added and still doesn't resolve the Bieksa situation as they aren't going to have 6M$ in defenseman sitting in the box eating nachos. It's Montour that will be sitting with a 3rd pair of Bieksa Beauch or Montour forced to his offside with Bieksa.

dman34

May 6, 2011
Montour & a 2nd for Tanev?

Tanev is healthy right now. He seems to get these freak injuries often - much like the last one when he took a puck in the face and lost half his teeth.

He's averaged 65 games a season for the past 5 years and I'd say he's easily one of the top 10 defensive d-men in the league currently. He also makes everyone who plays with him better.

Hard to imagine our D being any more putrid but we won't be winning anything with Tanev in his prime so it makes sense for us to deal him for someone younger and futures.

Lindholm/Manson
Fowler/Tanev
Beuchemin/Bieksa
and next season Larson replaces Bieksa and one of our other youngsters replace Beauchemin( unless he wants to sign another 1 year cheap deal. Cuz he’s been solid) Cuz I honestly feel that Montour is our next Vatanen in terms of a lot of defensive meltdowns and also a guy we try and trade later on anyways given that Lindholm/Fowler/Manson go nowhere and Larson is just a more reliable and cheaper/younger talent going forward.And then for #5/6 dman we will always have many of those readily available.Also it wouldn’t address the Bieksa situation, but it would however limit the big mistakes going forward ( that seem to come 80% of the time from Bieksa and the rest from Montour )

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Montour & a 2nd for Tanev?

Tanev is healthy right now. He seems to get these freak injuries often - much like the last one when he took a puck in the face and lost half his teeth.

He's averaged 65 games a season for the past 5 years and I'd say he's easily one of the top 10 defensive d-men in the league currently. He also makes everyone who plays with him better.

Hard to imagine our D being any more putrid but we won't be winning anything with Tanev in his prime so it makes sense for us to deal him for someone younger and futures.
Thats not a bad trade actually... it would hurt to lose montour and i would want to avoid it but if he is a must id do it.

Larsson and welinski are basically nhl ready dmen, and mahura isnt far behind them... but i think our goal would be to add a dmen w/o losing 1 which makes montour being part of the move a tough sell.

Lindholm manson
Fowler tanev
Is an amazing top 4.

Beauchmin bieska

Is a god awful bottom pairing but maybe we sub beauch out for 1 of larsson/welinski or find a cheap bottom pairing guy

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
you guys can have Ben Lovejoy back for literally free

in all seriousness though, John Moore is UFA at the end of the year. I think the Devils ultimately end up re-signing him (though I am not sure if I would), but interested to see what kind of return he could garner

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Radko Gudassssss. Righty, and two years on his contract.
I mean, we're already not exactly a neutral-fan favorite with Perry and Kesler, but adding Gudas would take it to kind of hilarious levels. And actually, I would not mind it, depending on the price. Between Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Gudas, Montour and Bieksa/Beauch, that would be a pretty nice blend of characteristics, with Manson/Gudas having opposing forwards pay extra attention.

Reactions: Getzmonster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad