4 callups from Belleville

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I know the arguments. I had them at the time. His numbers are available to anyone wanting to look. I don't see how this absolves anyone. The proof is in the pudding that it didn't work out, so what does it matter what their process was to land there? Especially after numerous other goaltender failings even dating back to the last contracts Condon and Anderson got. Call it PD, call it all the guys above, they couldn't bring in competent goaltending and I don't think that's disputable. A lot of criticism has been pointed at their pro scouting too, so it's not been just PD.

Sign anyone else, even 1 mil, whatever really. It obviously would have been a huge savings AND likely given us better performance. I would have thought the last big gamble on Murray would had them more cautious.
right... the angry fan base would have been happy with another shitty goalie after Talbot......

c'mon.

Please. Risks had to be taken

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
right... the angry fan base would have been happy with another shitty goalie after Talbot......

c'mon.

Please. Risks had to be taken
C'mon man. So blame the fans for signing Korpisalo but absolve the people signing the contract?!?! Please read that back and tell me it's not a ridiculous implication. GM has to do what he thinks is best for his club and live with those results. Or don't and live with those results just the same.

You know who the fan base didn't want? Korpisalo!!! The signing was panned pretty hard, so I'm not sure it bought any good will. Anyone that dug into his career was at best cautiously optimistic his hip surgeries had fixed his poor career and was the reason for the outlier season last year.

GM's take risks all the time. This is our David Clarkson. GM's get forgiven for these when their teams still succeed but usually don't last long if not.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
C'mon man. So blame the fans for signing Korpisalo but absolve the people signing the contract?!?! Please read that back and tell me it's not a ridiculous implication. GM has to do what he thinks is best for his club and live with those results. Or don't and live with those results just the same.

You know who the fan base didn't want? Korpisalo!!! The signing was panned pretty hard, so I'm not sure it bought any good will. Anyone that dug into his career was at best cautiously optimistic his hip surgeries had fixed his poor career and was the reason for the outlier season last year.

GM's take risks all the time. This is our David Clarkson. GM's get forgiven for these when their teams still succeed but usually don't last long if not.

Right. Same fans thought Forsberg was good enough without another goalie. Imagine that.

We have a shit goalie coaching and scouting tandem.

First thing that should have been blown up.

Still isn't.

You don't have to dig too deep to see the facts.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Right. Same fans thought Forsberg was good enough without another goalie. Imagine that.

We have a shit goalie coaching and scouting tandem.

First thing that should have been blown up.

Still isn't.

You don't have to dig too deep to see the facts.
Well, they weren't entirely wrong. It would have been equal or better than what we did get, likely at a fraction of the cost. That's how bad Korpisalo has worked out. And it still doesn't change that decisions on a UFA goaltender should not be based on fan feedback. That'll get a GM fired real quick.

Dorion had been down the road with them for much longer and would bear a lot more responsibility for continuing to listen to them and keep them on staff. Staios still hasn't acquired a goaltender, nor are these guys guaranteed to stay. I don't think anyone disagrees that the pro scouting with the team has been questionable. If Staios & Co. end up with as many poor calls, people will be calling for his head too.

I don't get your resistance to pinning anything on the guy making the final calls, working with staff that they obviously must approve of.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah well andlauer shouldn’t have twiddled his thumbs on DJ Smith

I think Andlauer was aware that he wasn’t buying a “finished product”… you don’t invest a billion without doing the due diligence… I don’t know who was hired to do it but if they didn’t see what amateurs like us have seen… then it was not a good hire

I would have wanted to fire Dorion and DJ Smith right away but he could NOT do that unfortunately and become the “villain” right away. The problem is Dorion fooled a lot of people bragging that the team was going to be so good, really like that used car salesman fooling gullible people

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Listen. Everyone looking to point the finger at DJ - go read my old pots. I know it was time for DJ to be turfed. We all did....

DJ is not the reason the Sens still suck.

This fake-believe that has never happened to any other team in the NHL.... notice when coaches are replaced the team usually does better.

This did not happen here.

The other half of the angry fan base wish they had a tough coach like torts yelling at the players... "cuz that works"

The improvement didn't happen here, because DJ never gave these young players a good NHL foundation to build on. These guys still don't know how to play in the NHL on a consistent basis and are making rookie mistakes all the time.

Their game has to be torn down and rebuilt. And yes, Torts is one of the better coaches in the league at building that proper foundation. Yelling or not.

And lets be honest here...the last 2-3 years of Dorions tenure here was all about making headlines. Cat, Kopr, Chych....moves that woo the casual fan, but made no sense whatsoever when it comes to team building and structure.

Reactions: Cosmix

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The improvement didn't happen here, because DJ never gave these young players a good NHL foundation to build on. These guys still don't know how to play in the NHL on a consistent basis and are making rookie mistakes all the time.

Their game has to be torn down and rebuilt. And yes, Torts is one of the better coaches in the league at building that proper foundation. Yelling or not.

And lets be honest here...the last 2-3 years of Dorions tenure here was all about making headlines. Cat, Kopr, Chych....moves that woo the casual fan, but made no sense whatsoever when it comes to team building and structure.
Bullshit.

This is purely poor goaltending and horrendous defending.

• Haha
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

drede

Jul 13, 2023
Listen. Everyone looking to point the finger at DJ - go read my old pots. I know it was time for DJ to be turfed. We all did....

This fake-believe that has never happened to any other team in the NHL.... notice when coaches are replaced the team usually does better.

The other half of the angry fan base wish they had a tough coach like torts yelling at the players... "cuz that works"

Why would the pa step in cuz a coach was yelling,?

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006

If you aren’t able to see the difference under the team when coached by DJ vs JM, you’re in the wrong spot.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Smith is part of the reason that the Sens still suck; Dorion and Melnyk are the others.

While I like the fact that Martin is the HC replacing Smith, I am not convinced that this coaching staff is what we need to fix the problems. I think a HC and staff which strongly focuses on play without the puck in all 3 zones and holds players accountable is what is required to turn this team around. Someone like Tortorella who demands strong defensive awareness and performance.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If there are no good options, might as well lock into a really bad one for 5 years?

C'mon indeed.
My biggest concern was the term of 5 years. A shorter (or even a prove it) contract would have been better.

Detroit signed Lyons at $900 k for 2 years. That turned out to be a good move. Goalies are voodoo and the Senators have a history of buying lemons. Hopefully there are some talented pro scouts in our future to address this problem.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad