4 callups from Belleville

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Goaltenders Mads Sogaard and Leevi Merilainen, along with defenceman Max Guenette and forward Zack MacEwen have all been recalled to the NHL by Ottawa.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
You've absolved all of Melnyk, Dorion and DJ. Must be Spartacats fault this team sucks! Lol

Listen. Everyone looking to point the finger at DJ - go read my old pots. I know it was time for DJ to be turfed. We all did....

DJ is not the reason the Sens still suck.

This fake-believe that has never happened to any other team in the NHL.... notice when coaches are replaced the team usually does better.

This did not happen here.

The other half of the angry fan base wish they had a tough coach like torts yelling at the players... "cuz that works"

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Listen. Everyone looking to point the finger at DJ - go read my old pots. I know it was time for DJ to be turfed. We all did....

DJ is not the reason the Sens still suck.

This fake-believe that has never happened to any other team in the NHL.... notice when coaches are replaced the team usually does better.

This did not happen here.
Ya I get it, lots of screaming and yelling about him. I even pressed you for an opinion prior to the season and you'd said DJ should be let go or something to that effect.

I think anyone focusing on a singular aspect is probably out to lunch, including coaching, and yes, even the old GM PD, but the goal needs to be to improve in all of these areas one after another. DJ may not have been the reason, but he didn't appear to be breaking down any doors either.

I would argue they did do better, for a period, but we're back to things not looking good again. Maybe that was a new coach bump or maybe it was something else, but they are basically back to zero confidence and goaltenders that cant stop a beach ball.

I just can't keep up sometimes. Seems like the goalies get blamed, so it's framed as not DJ's fault. Then in to another thread and the guy that went out and chose all the goalies, including giving out what looks likely to end up as the worst UFA deal ever handed out in Ottawa for one of them, is being argued for. Or maybe he isn't really and I'm imagining that. Most have accepted Dorion didn't do a great job by now it seems.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Ya I get it, lots of screaming and yelling about him. I even pressed you for an opinion prior to the season and you'd said DJ should be let go or something to that effect.

I think anyone focusing on a singular aspect is probably out to lunch, including coaching, and yes, even the old GM PD, but the goal needs to be to improve in all of these areas one after another. DJ may not have been the reason, but he didn't appear to be breaking down any doors either.

I just can't keep up sometimes. Seems like the goalies get blamed, so it's framed as not DJ's fault. Then in to another thread and the guy that went out and chose all the goalies, including giving out what looks likely to end up as the worst UFA deal ever handed out in Ottawa for one of them, is being argued for. Or maybe he isn't really and I'm imagining that. Most have accepted Dorion didn't do a great job by now it seems.

to get a starting goalie... you need to offer some term

it was a risk... but there were not any other choices.

it is even worse now for Staios to get any agents to call him back.

Ottawa is on a lot of no-go lists. Last summer was a big difference. Sens were looking good on paper.

Getting anyone to sniff the CTC is going to be close to impossible

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Ottawa is on a lot of no-go lists. Last summer was a big difference. Sens were looking good on paper.

Korpisalo was not and never will be a starting goalie though. They basically took a 5 year flyer on a guy with no business getting that contract.

I'm not nearly as forgiving. Some criticism of Dorion is warranted, some isn't, but I can't separate that one because Korpisalo for us is basically what he's been the majority of his career and I was ready to burn my house down when that news came down.

I'm sure it will be hard for Staios, but we'll see how it goes. At least it's someone we feel hasn't already let us down too many times, so there's actually some confidence from unknowns. Ultimately, he won't be perfect because no GM ever is, so he will face criticism here when the moves start coming.

It is hard, and that's always going to be an issue, like it is for most other Canadian teams, but thems the breaks and a competitive team can and has been made many times. I would argue they looked decent on paper too, but the results haven't been there so how can I argue they were good enough. The goaltending somehow got even worse than last year, hard to deny it's a total farce.

And that's also why they needed to be more careful and run a tighter ship. The rebuild needed to be continuous with draft pieces being inserted along the way, but Dorion & Co. made a few bets that didn't pay off and spent probably more in assets than was ideal. Certainly the 1sts for a lot of years heavily downgraded. Hopefully Staios has truer darts for the dart board and has a little more "rispeck" for 1st, 2nd & 3rd rounders.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

No trade lists are typically set before the season starts, so looking promising this year should actually help right now, doesn't matter that we stunk due to signing a bum that never should have gotten the contract he did regardless of how few other options were available.

A risk is when you make a move that might fail, signing a guy who's been below .500 in Quality start% in 6 of his 9 career seasons is just a bad decision, giving him a 5 year contract is career suicide disguised as praying for a miracle.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Korpisalo was not and never will be a starting goalie though. They basically took a 5 year flyer on a guy with no business getting that contract.

I'm not nearly as forgiving. Some criticism of Dorion is warranted, some isn't, but I can't separate that one because Korpisalo for us is basically what he's been the majority of his career and I was ready to burn my house down when that news came down.

I'm sure it will be hard for Staios, but we'll see how it goes. At least it's someone we feel hasn't already let us down too many times, so there's actually some confidence from unknowns. Ultimately, he won't be perfect because no GM ever is, so he will face criticism here when the moves start coming.

It is hard, and that's always going to be an issue, like it is for most other Canadian teams, but thems the breaks and a competitive team can and has been made many times. I would argue they looked decent on paper too, but the results haven't been there so how can I argue they were good enough. The goaltending somehow got even worse than last year, hard to deny it's a total farce.

And that's also why they needed to be more careful and run a tighter ship. The rebuild needed to be continuous with draft pieces being inserted along the way, but Dorion & Co. made a few bets that didn't pay off and spent probably more in assets than was ideal. Certainly the 1sts for a lot of years heavily downgraded. Hopefully Staios has truer darts for the dart board and has a little more "rispeck" for 1st, 2nd & 3rd rounders.

easy to say now, eh?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
No trade lists are typically set before the season starts, so looking promising this year should actually help right now, doesn't matter that we stunk due to signing a bum that never should have gotten the contract he did regardless of how few other options were available.

A risk is when you make a move that might fail, signing a guy who's been below .500 in Quality start% in 6 of his 9 career seasons is just a bad decision, giving him a 5 year contract is career suicide disguised as praying for a miracle.
It's not about no trade lists. It's more about getting a contract with a top 10 goalie.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
easy to say now, eh?
Well in a sense, ya. The proof is in the pudding basically. Besides, Korpisalo was certainly called a shit deal day one by many, as was a long list of other things, so it seems at least a good portion of it was.
It's not about no trade lists. It's more about getting a contract with a top 10 goalie.
Korpisalo's performance is bargain bin basement shit, below that really, and he was that in Columbus most of his career too. You could sign any name off the UFA list this summer and get what you're getting from him. That's not an exaggeration.

Like Mick said. We don't need top 10, we just need someone, anyone, that's brought in to work out. PD wasn't able to do that, so lets see what the next guy does. At least it can't get worse.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Well in a sense, ya. The proof is in the pudding basically. Besides, Korpisalo was certainly called a shit deal day one by many, as was a long list of other things, so it seems at least a good portion of it was.

Korpisalo's performance is bargain bin basement shit, below that really, and he was that in Columbus most of his career too. You could sign any name off the UFA list this summer and get what you're getting from him. That's not an exaggeration.
As for Korpisalo, he was part of a tandem with the Columbus Blue Jackets before he was moved to the Los Angeles Kings at the NHL trade deadline. He went 7-3-1 with a 2.31 goals-against average and a .921 save percentage with the Kings. In total, Korpisalo went 18-14-4 with a 2.87 GAA and a .915 save percentage between the Blue Jackets and the Kings.

Korpisalo holds the modern NHL record for saves in a single game with 85.

He says the Senators weren't his only NHL suitors.

"(I had) a couple of options and Ottawa stood out right away," Korpisalo told TSN. "Playing against (the Senators), it's a really capable team – a young team that's only going to get better. I'm just super excited to get to work with them. And Anton Forsberg is there too. I think that's going to be a good one-two punch right there."

Dorion, goalie coaches Zac Bierk and Justin Peters and the rest of the hockey operations staff had pinpointed Korpisalo as the goalie they wanted to help carry the team into the playoffs next season.

“Over the last few years we’ve felt our goaltending was the biggest need and we felt we’ve addressed it today in acquiring Joonas Korpisalo,” Dorion told a news conference at the Canadian Tire Centre. “He’s athletic, he’s got size, he’s powerful, he’s played in the playoffs and he’s won series.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
If there are no good options, might as well lock into a really bad one for 5 years?

C'mon indeed.
Again... my point is there is no option. He wasn't coming for 2 years at $4M

“We inquired about him at the trade deadline because we wanted to give him a test run. Columbus got a return (from Los Angeles) for him and I’ve liked him since his draft. The guys we relied the most on were Zac Bierk and Justin Peters because they know goalies better than anyone and they were the ones that highly recommended him.”

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

“We inquired about him at the trade deadline because we wanted to give him a test run. Columbus got a return (from Los Angeles) for him and I’ve liked him since his draft. The guys we relied the most on were Zac Bierk and Justin Peters because they know goalies better than anyone and they were the ones that highly recommended him.”
Good, then don't sign him? It;s win win.

All you've proven is maybe we need to invest in different goalie coaches too since they clearly picked a real winner with Korpisalo.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
As for Korpisalo, he was part of a tandem with the Columbus Blue Jackets before he was moved to the Los Angeles Kings at the NHL trade deadline. He went 7-3-1 with a 2.31 goals-against average and a .921 save percentage with the Kings. In total, Korpisalo went 18-14-4 with a 2.87 GAA and a .915 save percentage between the Blue Jackets and the Kings.

Korpisalo holds the modern NHL record for saves in a single game with 85.

He says the Senators weren't his only NHL suitors.

"(I had) a couple of options and Ottawa stood out right away," Korpisalo told TSN. "Playing against (the Senators), it's a really capable team – a young team that's only going to get better. I'm just super excited to get to work with them. And Anton Forsberg is there too. I think that's going to be a good one-two punch right there."

Dorion, goalie coaches Zac Bierk and Justin Peters and the rest of the hockey operations staff had pinpointed Korpisalo as the goalie they wanted to help carry the team into the playoffs next season.

“Over the last few years we’ve felt our goaltending was the biggest need and we felt we’ve addressed it today in acquiring Joonas Korpisalo,” Dorion told a news conference at the Canadian Tire Centre. “He’s athletic, he’s got size, he’s powerful, he’s played in the playoffs and he’s won series.

I know the arguments. I had them at the time. His numbers are available to anyone wanting to look. I don't see how this absolves anyone. The proof is in the pudding that it didn't work out, so what does it matter what their process was to land there? Especially after numerous other goaltender failings even dating back to the last contracts Condon and Anderson got. Call it PD, call it all the guys above, they couldn't bring in competent goaltending and I don't think that's disputable. A lot of criticism has been pointed at their pro scouting too, so it's not been just PD.
Sign anyone else, even 1 mil, whatever really. It obviously would have been a huge savings AND likely given us better performance. I would have thought the last big gamble on Murray would had them more cautious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad