WGR: 4-4: Pierre LeBrun Discusses the State of the Sabres

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
4-4: Pierre LeBrun Discusses the State of the Sabres on WGR (14:33)

LeBrun- I did get tremendous vibes from Jack Eichel in terms of young superstar having that light bulb moment and saying I can't let that happen again here. That's more of a body language thing but combine that with some good pieces on that team...

Potentially the first pick in this draft and I think a GM that now he's absorbed everything around him for 12 months and I think is gonna be ready to make some here.

LeBrun- I was wondering which team around the NHL was going to pick Jason Botterill out of Pittsburgh because he was a big part of that team winning 3 Stanley Cups. Really bright guy who isn't cut from the cloth of well I'm a former player so it's just the eye test...

He does the eye test. He believes in analytics, he believes in scouting, he believes in all the different aspects that make a team successful. It's just that he's got a lot on his plate.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Brought up ROR as the top trade target. Says there's high demand around the league if they're willing to listen.

Reactions: 26CornerBlitz

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Bulldog is so out of it, he was shocked/delighted to hear Lebrun say that ROR has great trade value.

I do think Botterill is going to trade him. Would you take Montreal's 1st plus Ryan Poehling plus hmmm ...

I like Poehling, think he's going to be a quality 2nd or 3rd line forward.

Reactions: Mitts888

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The "Oh hey, I'm going to bring up Toronto haha!" thing is thin. The 10 years of Leaf suck before not taken into account again. I wish I was just reading him.

Reactions: MurrayForPrez

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Bulldog is so out of it, he was shocked/delighted to hear Lebrun say that ROR has great trade value.

I do think Botterill is going to trade him. Would you take Montreal's 1st plus Ryan Poehling plus hmmm ...

Great. With Montreal's first we finally have the draft capital to move up and grab a quart...

Sorry, I just got confused for a second by that other topic that WGR has spent 99% of their time for the past three months straight discussing ad nauseam.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Great. With Montreal's first we finally have the draft capital to move up and grab a quart...

Sorry, I just got confused for a second by that other topic that WGR has spent 99% of their time for the past three months straight discussing ad nauseam.

You'd think Schopp could have spent 10 seconds to look up the NCAA hockey game he and Bulldog watched. The way he described it -- OT game, team wildly outshot but wins -- sounded like Notre Dame.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
You'd think Schopp could have spent 10 seconds to look up the NCAA hockey game he and Bulldog watched. The way he described it -- OT game, team wildly outshot but wins -- sounded like Notre Dame.

You would think he wouldn’t need to double check, on air, with bulldog that cal Peterson was named cal Peterson, while talking to Botterill.

It was his first or second preset question for the interview. He got to throw his pitch with no interference. And he forgot to tie his shoes. What a schmuck.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You would think he wouldn’t need to double check, on air, with bulldog that cal Peterson was named cal Peterson, while talking to Botterill.

It was his first or second preset question for the interview. He got to throw his pitch with no interference. And he forgot to tie his shoes. What a schmuck.

Or that he asked if Botterill had talked to Murray about talking to Petersen. Really? That?

ValJames

Jun 9, 2015
NC
He shows up to work in the afternoon and takes a nap. True!

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I wouldnt trade ROR this year and especially not Reinhart if ever.
I think he is up for 60point plus season next year!

Reactions: CaptPantalones

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
The "Oh hey, I'm going to bring up Toronto haha!" thing is thin. The 10 years of Leaf suck before not taken into account again. I wish I was just reading him.
Yeah and we did this tank thing together. No Lebrun, we were first. It was our idea. Stop acting like Toronto is brilliant. They won the lottery and got Babcock...we didn’t.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I would trade ROR but not because I think he's a bad player or terribly over paid. One of the Sabres' troubles is being not fast and not tough. It seems like successful teams can get away with one of those; but not both.

There are limited slots on a team for a player who's just good at hockey, but isn't a burner or tough. I'd rather save that slot for Reinhart.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
If we win the lottery, ROR comes completely off the table.

If we dont, I only trade him for a potential top 2 defenseman and nothing short. Hes an all situation player that if this team had competent wingers would be a 65 pt player.

Reactions: Icicle

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
If we win the lottery, ROR comes completely off the table.

If we dont, I only trade him for a potential top 2 defenseman and nothing short. Hes an all situation player that if this team had competent wingers would be a 65 pt player.
This is where I stand. An improvement over Ristolainen or he stays. Tall order, but no quality for quantity BS. The receivers of quantity almost always lose.

Reactions: CaptPantalones

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I don't see Montreal giving up a top-6 pick and Poehling for the privilege of paying ROR $7.5m for five more seasons. ROR is good and he definitely has good trade value, but not that trade value.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Schopp also had this gem...

Botts had just talked about how things played out with Casey. The end of it was about the timing of caling him about going pro. Wanted to give him space to process getting knocked out of a NCAA spot.

Schopp's response was it was kind of like the timing of when to call a girl after a date (or something like that). Awkwardness followed for a little bit.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The comments about ROR were basically........ he has value but we don't want to move him. So we'd need to be blown away by an offer.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

Truth....

Listeners find the Bills and the QB talk a hell of a lot more interesting than the failure of a franchise the Buffalo Sabres have become.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Truth....

Listeners find the Bills and the QB talk a hell of a lot more interesting than the failure of a franchise the Buffalo Sabres have become.

Because 1 playoff game in nearly 20 years is enough to whet the appetite of Buffalonians. Imagine if they were actually good - it would at least explain the fanaticism. At this point, it seems more like drunken orthodoxy.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Because 1 playoff game in nearly 20 years is enough to whet the appetite of Buffalonians. Imagine if they were actually good - it would at least explain the fanaticism. At this point, it seems more like drunken orthodoxy.

Remind me, what have the Sabres done lately? Plus, the Bills will always come first in WNY.

The Bills DID make the playoffs, and have a boatload of draft picks coming up in a few weeks with the prospects of trading up to land a QB.

The vast, vast majority of sports fans in WNY would much rather listen to talk radio topics concerning the Buffalo Bills at this current moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad