GDT: 4/29/15 - 7:30PM EDT - #3 Detroit VS #2 Tampa Bay [ECQF GAME 7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've watched that Coburn goal for atleast 20 times. I'm still pumped up as hell. Can't wait for the second round to start.

I have a little bias towards it because of who set him up. :laugh: But regardless, would still be watching it over and over again, it was just awesome.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Of the two former Flyers in your defense, who do you guys think played better in this series, Carle or Coburn?

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
So what happened on that no goal call?

No one at the game had any idea why it was called off? It looked like 2 players just ran into each other and they called it off because of that.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So what happened on that no goal call?

No one at the game had any idea why it was called off? It looked like 2 players just ran into each other and they called it off because of that.

It actually was the right call, when two players get called, the play is called dead. If the penalty was only on Detroit, the goal would of counted since Tampa still had possession, but because there was also a penalty on Stamkos it was called dead the play.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
No voice left.

Damn, what a party. Started when Coburn scored and lasted until just a few hours ago. Saw Vinik on Thunder Alley.

Can't wait to start the next series. Sleep now!

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Of the two former Flyers in your defense, who do you guys think played better in this series, Carle or Coburn?

Easily Coburn. I'd wager he was our best defenseman in this series even without that huge goal. He's been exactly what this team needed. A top four defenseman who takes care of his own end. We don't need him to be an offensive guy, we have Hedman, Strålman and Garrison to do that. Couldn't be happier that we got him.

I still doubted that trade but it was stupid of me not to trust what Yzerman was doing. Yzerman probably saw him scoring this goal from his chrystal ball. It was all part of the Yzerplan.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
It actually was the right call, when two players get called, the play is called dead. If the penalty was only on Detroit, the goal would of counted since Tampa still had possession, but because there was also a penalty on Stamkos it was called dead the play.

Ah, yeah they gave no explanation and showed one quick replay that was impossible to tell what happened. Everyone was going nuts over it.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Easily Coburn. I'd wager he was our best defenseman in this series even without that huge goal. He's been exactly what this team needed. A top four defenseman who takes care of his own end. We don't need him to be an offensive guy, we have Hedman, Strålman and Garrison to do that. Couldn't be happier that we got him.

I still doubted that trade but it was stupid of me not to trust what Yzerman was doing. Yzerman probably saw him scoring this goal from his chrystal ball. It was all part of the Yzerplan.

I was worried that Coburn might become a goat with the penalties he kept taking at key times, but glad he has played well otherwise

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Carle had a real boneheaded pinch that led to an odd man rush last night. Before that I was okay with him. Coburn though has shut down so many opportunities. So glad he's back there cleaning things up.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com

Flyers fan here.
He's been a top 4, top pairing, complimentary defense man for years on the Flyers. Our team defense is definitely an issue. No real Flyers fan doubted is performance, it's why we hang on to him for so long. He excels in the playoffs and when he isn't forced to carry the play he's one of the best Defensive Dmen in the league. Yzerman knew what was getting and now you guys understand why he had such a high price tag. Not many defensive dmen can skate like he can. Luckily we have his replacement in Samuel Morin. (Who's bigger and has a better shot)

Nice to see he worked out for you guys.

JS91

May 14, 2014

IMO Carle doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Coburn. Coburn was amazing throughout the series. Apart from one or two mistakes he made in the first 2 games he always made the right call defensively and just played great overall. Carle on the other hand was doing the usual Carle-like stuff; getting paid 5,5 million to play on the 3rd pairing while making rookie mistakes on a nightly basis.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think that's a *little* rough on carle. He wasn't superb (actually got outplayed by Sustr of all people), but he wasn't a liability out there.

Sadly, 5.5 is a lot to pay for someone to not be a liability.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I think that's a *little* rough on carle. He wasn't superb (actually got outplayed by Sustr of all people), but he wasn't a liability out there.

Sadly, 5.5 is a lot to pay for someone to not be a liability.

Pretty much agree. Didn't notice Carle a whole lot this series to be honest. But I noticed Coburn -- doing good things. Comparing the two isn't even fair really. It's Coburn by a mile.

Carle, I thought, played well enough this series. As FoY said, 5.5 to play "well enough..."

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I had to double check when I got up this morning that I didn't dream this. I'm still in a happy shock over here.

Got to look at the goals again and both goal were great and everyone on the ice did a good job on them, especially on the 1st goal.

And TKO…Johnson is in there somewhere:

25p0ldw.jpg

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Last thing about last night's game, not really about the team.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=765865

Sun Sports, the exclusive regional television home of the Tampa Bay Lightning, proudly announced last night’s Game 7 victory over the Detroit Red Wings finished as the most-watched game ever in the history of the Lightning on the network. Overnight ratings show the game garnered a 7.5 HH average in the Tampa DMA, which translates to an estimated 136,691 households, according to Nielsen Media Research. The single-game high shattered the previous all-time high of a 4.6 HH set in 2011 versus the Washington Capitals in Round 2 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
Last night’s record-setting rating capped a great ending for the network this season as Sun Sports finished with a 5% increase in regular season year-over-year viewership (1.23 HH).

Add in all those maniacs on the Plaza, and at sports bars and whatever, damn.

Well done Tampa Bay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad