GDT: 4/23/24 - 7:30PM EDT - #1 WC Tampa Bay @ #1 Florida [ECQF GAME 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
If there's no rally, I think the team either gets rid of dead weight Perbix, Sheary, and Jeannot(plus of course Dumba and CDH won't be re-signed), keeps Stammer and Duclair, and then signs an RD for 3 or so aav, or they let Duclair walk, spend less on a middle 6 F, and spend in the 5 or so range on a real top 4 dman. The defense needs significant help, so I'm leaning option 2 here.
Not enough cap space for all that after several max extensions and 5MM+ tied up 8n negative contracts to Sherry and Jeanot

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Cooper is using Duclair like he should of been using Jeannot 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️. Park his ass in front of the net and battle down low and get pucks to point and kuch.

This shit is frustrating
I don't think he is a good fit here. He strung together a few really games in that March but has looked very pedestrian of late.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
The reason we're in Pit/Was purgatory is because JBB set this team up for failure from an active roster standpoint and at the cap. The Jeannot trade is absolutely blowing up in his face. He's gonna have to ship put one of Cernak, Serg, Cirelli and watch, he'll lose Stamkos and further piss off the fan base.

The team will be better when JBB is long gone
The Jeannot contract might be the dumbest signing he’s ever done and it may not be close. I didnt like the Sergachev contract either but he scores so its at least somewhat understandable, generally don’t think he’s worth sh** on defense. Someone mentioned it but we need a Palat/Killorn clutch type.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Not enough cap space for all that after several max extensions and 5MM+ tied up 8n negative contracts to Sherry and Jeanot
Sheary and Jeannot would be moved, and depending on Stamkos and Duke's aav's, they will have at least 2 5, maybe 3 and change for a dman ufa signing

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
The Jeannot signing might be the dumbest signing he’s ever done and it may not be close. I didnt like the Sergachev contract either but he scores so its at least somewhat understandable.
The problem is he cannot afford any mistakes or I should say...he couldn't afford any mistakes to keep the train going.

Only reason we even made the playoffs was a career yr by Kuch and now we are going out in the 1st 2 yrs in a row. Yeah, it is over.

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
what was the cap and roster still looking like when carter left?

all the main guys were still here, right?

johnson, palat, killer, gourde, etc? my memory is shite

one thing jbb can't do is find the those cheap productive guys. yzerman brought in both marchessault and carter, right? doubt he thought they would flourish like they have, but he had an eye

look at all those guy in florida's lineup who were brought in for dirt cheap who have made them into who they are

jbb settled for a no upside vet like Sheary (never thought he'd be this bad), and Boston got a young guy like Geekie for the same price who flourished

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Sheary and Jeannot would be moved, and depending on Stamkos and Duke's aav's, they will have at least 2 5, maybe 3 and change for a dman ufa signing
What assets are left to hang around Jeannot and Sherry’s neck for someone to take them? They suck

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
what was the cap and roster still looking like when carter left?

all the main guys were still here, right?

johnson, palat, killer, gourde, etc? my memory is shite

one thing jbb can't do is find the those cheap productive guys. yzerman brought in both marchessault and carter, right? doubt he thought they would flourish like they have, but he had an eye

look at all those guy in florida's lineup who were brought in for dirt cheap who have made them into who they are

jbb settled for a no upside vet like Sheary (never thought he'd be this bad), and Boston got a young guy like Geekie for the same price who flourished
BriseBois kept Mitchell Stephens over Verhaeghe. Just like keeping JT Brown over Marchessault. Puke

Reactions: Lightning1995

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
There is nothing that can be done to make this team better. All resources are gone. Nothing in the pipeline that can be a game changer. Aging core. Several bad contracts.

We had our run and our cups. Its time to blow this up. You can still in theory keep the core 5 and trade anyone else. You need to clear cap, you need an actual NHL caliber dcore.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
I don’t mean to complain as hindsights 20/20 but what is with all these ridiculous contracts? Serg / Jeannot / Sheary … like maybe relax a bit JBB as you’re driving the team into the ground.

There is nothing that can be done to make this team better. All resources are gone. Nothing in the pipeline that can be a game changer. Aging core. Several bad contracts.

We had our run and our cups. Its time to blow this up. You can still in theory keep the core 5 and trade anyone else. You need to clear cap, you need an actual NHL caliber dcore.
Agreed and well said, my thoughts too. Think were 31st or 32nd in prospect pool, yikes.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
What assets are left to hang around Jeannot and Sherry’s neck for someone to take them? They suck
Jeannot wouldn't take much with just 1 year left, and maybe JBB gets something for him or just FC. Sheary takes a mid round pick +something else small probably. It doesn't really matter though, as the only way this team has any meaningful adds this summer is if both are gone. Tampa could buy out Sheary and save just over 1 4, but I'd explore trade options 1st

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
That half is predominantly the core and money makers though. There's not much left to work with for a roster. I don't think Cooper is the problem. I do blame him by and large for game 1 as traditionally we suck in those and he looked out matched by a superior strategy.

Give Cooper Sergachev and a competent f***ing bottom pairing not CDH or Dumba on it, and we probably have this series tied. There's so many what ifs right now.
Not gonna lie, I completely forgot about Sergachev lol

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

Several solid prospects as depth pieces at least are still there. Core averages just over 29, so not ancient, and some of the bad contracts will be gone soon. It doesn't look great now, but the future isn't all bleak

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Several solid prospects as depth pieces at least are still there. Core averages just over 29, so not ancient, and some of the bad contracts will be gone soon. It doesn't look great now, but the future isn't all bleak
We have 0 top 6 options. Stamkos and Hedman are the wrong side of 30 with neither having a replacement.

Serg was supposed to become the guy but hasn't proven to be, but is paid like one
We have 0 wing depth. Stamkos, Point and Kuch are our only big scorers. We dont have any prospects that can fill a top 6 role in terms of cieling/talent (Maybe Howard in a other 3 years)

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Florida's goalie deserves much kudos, Brobrovsky was unfortunately great.

Well..... another terrible playoff OT for Lightning and everyone forgot they could skate. Was wondering if quicker Lightning might be better for playoff OT Hockey, but no dice. Lightning looked afraid and tentative like they did during 1st period. Plus, some players just had off nights, but Vasy did what he could during bad spells. The terrible D breakdowns were to much, even for Vasy. Lightning also lost those upfront battles, can't expect to play that way and win!

Even though a series is not over until someone loses at home, believe Lightning sure made thing very difficult now. This version of Lightning will have difficult time winning of 4 of 5 in any playoff series, alone this one! This newer Lightning bunch needed playoff success so they'd get confidence, but just couldn't do enough. When opportunities presented themselves, they didn't take full advantage. Worse for team was that wasted 4:00 PP, and this was "The Swing Moment" in game. Last game "The Swing Moment" was giving up early PP goal in 3rd. Causing Lightning to go down 1-2 (Even though bogus call, champs win moments like that). Lightning have lost both huge swing moments in games 1 & 2 games. Kinda ironic they both involved special teams, Lightning biggest strength. On to game 3...

I'll chime in when season is over about roster changes, this Lightning team is still in playoffs.

Go Lightning !!!!

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
We have 0 top 6 options. Stamkos and Hedman are the wrong side of 30 with neither having a replacement.

Serg was supposed to become the guy but hasn't proven to be, but is paid like one
We have 0 wing depth. Stamkos, Point and Kuch are our only big scorers. We dont have any prospects that can fill a top 6 role in terms of cieling/talent (Maybe Howard in a other 3 years)
Stamkos and Hedman are getting older, but both are still effective. No top 6 talent perhaps, but guys like Howard, Gauthier, Duke, Goncalves etc provide potential middle 6 options with possible upside. The top 6 is still pretty set for a bit, provided Stamkos stays, so not having any likely top 6 F prospects(and who knows what might happen with some of them) isn't the biggest issue.

They need to add a dman this offseason, whether that's a depth 2nd/3rd pairing guy on the right for 2.5-3ish, or spending more on a top 4 guy in the 5 range, who knows. If they let Duclair walk, the room will be there for a more expensive guy, amd there are quite a few solid dmen possibly headed to ufa this summer.

They had some decent call ups this year with Lilleberg, Crozier on def and Chaffee for the F group. I expect a couple more cracking the roster next year(or at least one F). JBB has some rough decisions to make, and he'll need to get out of a couple bad contracts, but improvement is possible and things aren't all dark ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad