GDT: 4/23/24 - 7:30PM EDT - #1 WC Tampa Bay @ #1 Florida [ECQF GAME 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
He was awful here. The player we had here was not the one he became for Florida. One of the best things Coop did with Verhaeghe was sit him for Volkov when it mattered most.

Marchessault wasn’t great here either or Jt Miller, Joseph .

When players leave and are a lot better everywhere else you have to look at the coaching..

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Letting Verhaeghe walk...just another part of the JBB masterclass!
About the only time I ever felt pretty bad about letting a player walk. I really thought he had a ton of potential based on his AHL play and some of his time in Tampa. He made the right choice for him though, as Cooper was never going to play him in the top 6.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
This team never plays well to start a series and we play even worse in OT.

As I suspected that Dumba nonsense ended up costing us. Goals are hard to come by in the playoffs, you can't let a wide open net go to waste.

Not really upset about it though, this team isn't a Cup contender and we all knew that.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011

As I suspected that Dumba nonsense ended up costing us. Goals are hard to come by in the playoffs, you can't let a wide open net go to waste.

Not really upset about it though, this team isn't a Cup contender and we all knew that.

JBB: Even though we got swept we only lost every game by a goal. Time to give up the farm til 2040 for 5 more dogshit players to keep this window open. Hold my beer!

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Because four guys got sucked into looking at Tkachuks mouthpiece hanging out of his mouth and ignored two other forwards on the ice.

It's actually mind boggling how dumpster fire we can play when it matters most in OT. You just knew we weren't going to win when Dumba shot that GWG into a diving Ray Charles and Cirelli missing that 1 on 1.
They're playing not to lose rather than trying to win. You would think with ALL the experience this team has they would know what to do in these situations but it's like they give up before the OT even begins.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I love Kucherov but this is where Stamkos should be laying into him. He's got this aura that he gave a f*** getting points and busting his ass for the regular season, now he's half assing easy plays and reads like he's Doug Glatt out there.

Florida isn't making it easy on him at all, but neither have other teams and he overcame it. He looks content with the year and is kinda like whatever happens happens. That's how his body language looks.

Anything other than 2 straight wins and you can start writing up the off-season thread. I have 0 confidence this team can rebound after that. These aren't the b2b bolts that knew how to dig deep. We got going too little too late this series and we are 0-2. f***ing awesome.

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012

Agreed, it's Caps/Pens purgatory for this team now unfortunately.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Put the crow away. Doubt I'll need again for a long time.

That is a brutal demoralizing loss. We tried but they are just better and Cooper's time is probably over here unless we want to hang onto to years gone by...remembering the good old days of yore...welcome to Penguins hell.

Too good to get any better and too bad to win anything. Stuck in mediocrity. Thanks JBB! Tanner cashing those checks!

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I love Kucherov but this is where Stamkos should be laying into him. He's got this aura that he gave a f*** getting points and busting his ass for the regular season, now he's half assing easy plays and reads like he's Doug Glatt out there.

Florida isn't making it easy on him at all, but neither have other teams and he overcame it. He looks content with the year and is kinda like whatever happens happens. That's how his body language looks.

Anything other than 2 straight wins and you can start writing up the off-season thread. I have 0 confidence this team can rebound after that. These aren't the b2b bolts that knew how to dig deep. We got going too little too late this series and we are 0-2. f***ing awesome.

Half this team has been sniffing its own farts for way too long, and Cooper is not the type of coach to light a fire under anyone's ass.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop yesterday: "it's one play that can make it, and they made the play. We have to make sure in the next game we make the play."

Don't wanna be pessimistic but maybe this is where you miss a guy like Ondrej Palat or Alex Killorn or others who step up in these big moments.

Had a hat trick in his first game(or one of his early games), was played on the 3rd or 4th line a lot, and had dominated in the AHL. I get why he left, but he has been probabaly the biggest(or maybe 2nd biggest) blunder to lose for nothing.
I would go with last year's Conn Smythe winner Marchessault who NYR let go, and then Columbus traded to us for nothing, and then signed with Florida, who didn't protect him in the expansion draft. Technically Killorn and Palat returned no assets.

Marchessault wasn’t great here either or Jt Miller, Joseph .

When players leave and are a lot better everywhere else you have to look at the coaching..
Marchessault didn't do anything special offensively but he did play his role on the lower lines better than Verhaeghe did. I think difference was JAM never got his chance in the top 6 while Verhaeghe was given a few and didn't do anything with them.

But JAM and CV were both rookies. So not necessarily anything we did wrong. Naturally they were going to get better, we just couldn't wait for them to fully develop over the course of a few years while we were in win-now mode. If anything we deserve the credit for making them legit players in the AHL/ early NHL careers, when other teams thought less of them.

JT Miller was no rookie, but he was equally a head scratcher for NY as he was for us. And Joseph has gotten more ice time, better linemates in Ottawa and didn't really do anything with it. Not everyone's cut out to be a scorer in this league, and he's better doing other things.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Half this team has been sniffing its own farts for way too long, and Cooper is not the type of coach to re-motivate them.
That half is predominantly the core and money makers though. There's not much left to work with for a roster. I don't think Cooper is the problem. I do blame him by and large for game 1 as traditionally we suck in those and he looked out matched by a superior strategy.

Give Cooper Sergachev and a competent f***ing bottom pairing not CDH or Dumba on it, and we probably have this series tied. There's so many what ifs right now.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
The crux of our problems is still poor defense imo, we won’t win consistently until JBB decides to fix that completely, and no Serg will NOT fix our defense at least defensively. You can’t win without it.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Kuch had a few chances bob stopped him, point every time touches the puck is turning into glendenning and losing any offensive momentum.
Point drives into the zone, dipsy doodles back at the half wall, looks for alucj, buzzes around, sees possession is lost, stick taps his shin pad and goes for a change. Him and Kucherov have been a duo to forget this round.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Put the crow away. Doubt I'll need again for a long time.

That is a brutal demoralizing loss. We tried but they are just better and Cooper's time is probably over here unless we want to hang onto to years gone by...remembering the good old days of yore...welcome to Penguins hell.

Too good to get any better and too bad to win anything. Stuck in mediocrity. Thanks JBB! Tanner cashing those checks!
The reason we're in Pit/Was purgatory is because JBB set this team up for failure from an active roster standpoint and at the cap. The Jeannot trade is absolutely blowing up in his face. He's gonna have to ship put one of Cernak, Serg, Cirelli and watch, he'll lose Stamkos and further piss off the fan base.

The team will be better when JBB is long gone

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Cooper is using Duclair like he should of been using Jeannot ( if jeannot could actually skate?) 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️. Park his ass in front of the net and battle down low and get pucks to point and kuch.

This shit is frustrating

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If there's no rally, I think the team either gets rid of dead weight Perbix, Sheary, and Jeannot(plus of course Dumba and CDH won't be re-signed), keeps Stammer and Duclair, and then signs an RD for 3 or so aav, or they let Duclair walk, spend less on a middle 6 F, and spend in the 5 or so range on a real top 4 dman. The defense needs significant help, so I'm leaning option 2 here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad