GDT: 4/23/24 - 7:30PM EDT - #1 WC Tampa Bay @ #1 Florida [ECQF GAME 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Penalties go up in the playoffs, but it's largely because of roughing, boarding, slashing, and cross checking calls (ie when games start getting out of hand physically).

Game 1 was very tame in that regard. And as you can see by the chart in that article, holding and hooking penalties are largely under-enforced in the playoffs, which were two of the biggest infractions people were complaining about us not getting PPs for. Florida played a very smart game...they obstructed and held like 90s dead puck teams did, but didn't take it over the line into violent infractions.

We just aren't going to get as many calls if we're not moving our legs. Florida outhustled us. Standing around waiting to make the perfect pass aint gonna cut it.

We need to come out of the gate in Game 2 like we're shot out of a cannon. You can't just expect the refs to give you so many calls. You have to earn them and understand the precedent of what they're likely to call and not.

And at some point we need to just realize that Florida is the way better team 5 on 5, and if they've learned to not play as reckless because giving us PPs gives us more of an advantage then I'll tip my cap to them for that.
That’s it. Example: The game between Carolina and NYI last night had 126 PIM but “only” six combined powerplays. Misconducts go up in the playoffs as tempers flare.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I don't really know what to say . . . both of those quotes (from Cooper, Stamkos) I strongly disagree with. Lightning WERE overwhelmed, and were lucky to only lose by one goal. If there was ever a time to admit they played poorly and commit to bringing more energy, this was it. Saying "the process was good, just no puck luck" is sticking your head in the sand. Hope I'm wrong.

Yea I felt like we were most competitive when we abandoned the system and just got pucks on net and crashed. If Cooper is hell bent on "trust the system" and refuses to let guys mix it up a little more in hopes we goad FLA into taking some penalties then we might get swept.

StammerHammer

Dec 23, 2021
If they don't shoot more than this will be another frustrating night of hockey. Question is, was it the Panthers that were prohibiting the shots or were the Lightning trying to be too fancy like we know they do at times?

It was good to see Vasy in playoff mode. I hope his efforts aren't wasted.

Go Bolts!!!!

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
If they don't shoot more than this will be another frustrating night of hockey. Question is, was it the Panthers that were prohibiting the shots or were the Lightning trying to be too fancy like we know they do at times?

It was good to see Vasy in playoff mode. I hope his efforts aren't wasted.

Go Bolts!!!!

This team is dependent on Kucherov's success. Kuch and Point both looked off, and FLA also looked like they knew exactly how to defend that line. How much of it was the former vs latter remains to be seem. I also just don't like Duclair at all on the 1st line. It needs more of a chaotic grinder like Hagel or Eyssimont. If the 1st line doesn't get going, we're DOA.

I think the first period of Game 2 will answer a lot of these questions about how competitive we can be, how well we can adapt, how the series will transpire, etc.

Last edited:

Tim Smith

Jun 24, 2021
Definitely need to shoot the puck on Bob more in game 2. Lets not forget what Bob did to them back in 2019, ugh!!!!! Bob is an excellent netminder, sometimes stellar, reminds me alot of Vasy. GO BOLTZ!!!!!

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
My hope is that they take a run at Kuch early. That'll get him a little hot and into the game. Remember when that happened to Lecavalier? He played his best after he'd been hit..
Also fires up the bench and sets an aggressive tone. Bolts are big enough--they just need to play with more of an edge.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
A poem about the Tampa Bay Bolts,
On the playoff board they call us the dolts,
My heart with them, it burns with fire,
It is but one goal that we desire.

The ashes in their heat consuming,
Make our pathway clear, by illuming,
Let our players' splendor shine,
The Panthers blinded by light divine.

Lift on high the word of Cooper,
Let us snack on beer and grouper.
Sometimes, in the hush of the evening hour,
We remember a loss would make things dour.

Though our little forum cover but little space,
Lo! We beseech Lord Stanley's grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad