GDT: 4/21/24 - 12:30PM EDT - #1 WC Tampa Bay @ #1 Florida [ECQF GAME 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
If only Vasi stopped that first goal
Nah. That tip was weird and bordered on unstoppable. Can't fault him on the second one either, since CVH was unmarked at the doorstep. Ace grazes the CB at the end of the first and it'd possibly been a little different game. Hits were even, though kittens thought they'd run the Bolts outta the rink in the first. Kuch had a C- game. That really hurt.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Complaining about the refs is legitimate, they're affecting the outcome

Florida was the best 5v5 team in the league, Lightning had the best special teams. Florida has a vested interest to keep the match penalty free.

But these teams are naughty. Florida had the 2nd most penalty minutes in the league, on average they get called for ~13 minutes worth of penalties a game, the Lightning are 5th and get called for ~11 minutes. You can try and limit penalties but you can't undo the nature of a team.

Somehow you're telling me what I just watched was a pretty clean game? The slashing, hooking, blatant interference? When we've faced them in the past, we actually got the calls and we absolutely destroyed them on the powerplay.

Some of you are a little too "ok" with the way this game was officiated. Yeah, we got outplayed 5v5, but the same thing happened in the past Florida series and our PP won us those matches. Anyone notice how our PK sparked the 1st period comeback? Special teams is the lifeblood of our team, and as much as we "should" be better 5v5, it's how we are winning this series.

If refs continue to swallow their whistles, we're gonna lose.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
I said "please". Geez
Yeah, ya did have please in there, and sorry if I came off to harshly on you or anyone else. That posting was mostly years of frustration letting out after years of reading back & forth on forum about calls and such. And after years of watching #1 BS across many sports mediums. I'll also admit, it hurts to see what money is doing to sports yr after yr. Picked your quote mostly because it had "fan base" word within it and that work with theme I was needing for posting. Not completely sure with forum posting etiquette, but figured since quoted someone within debates subject matter. Felt any quote was fair game to use. Nothing personal, and I'm willing to bet we want to the same when it comes to Lightning. For Lightning to overcome anything thrown their way, which includes #1 BS!

Apploigize again, and have good night

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
The most encouraging thing about the game for me was Vasy - he looked good. The rest of the team, and surprisingly Kuch, didn't match his level. Florida may simply be better, but the skaters can do more than they showed this game, and they were actually still in it until Coop pulled the goalie early.

Lack of opportunities is the obvious problem with being so dependent on the power play to score goals. We can complain about the refs endlessly, but the thing that matters is the team needs to be better 5 on 5. And when you do play better 5 on 5, you tend to force the other team into taking more penalties.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Florida was the best 5v5 team in the league, Lightning had the best special teams. Florida has a vested interest to keep the match penalty free.

But these teams are naughty. Florida had the 2nd most penalty minutes in the league, on average they get called for ~13 minutes worth of penalties a game, the Lightning are 5th and get called for ~11 minutes. You can try and limit penalties but you can't undo the nature of a team.

Somehow you're telling me what I just watched was a pretty clean game? The slashing, hooking, blatant interference? When we've faced them in the past, we actually got the calls and we absolutely destroyed them on the powerplay.

Some of you are a little too "ok" with the way this game was officiated. Yeah, we got outplayed 5v5, but the same thing happened in the past Florida series and our PP won us those matches. Anyone notice how our PK sparked the 1st period comeback? Special teams is the lifeblood of our team, and as much as we "should" be better 5v5, it's how we are winning this series.

It’s the playoffs the refs aren’t gonna make the calls to give the lightning an advantage they want 5 on 5 hockey

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It’s the playoffs the refs aren’t gonna make the calls to give the lightning an advantage they want 5 on 5 hockey
Come again?

Right after our game

1713747912111.png

Last night

1713748017112.png

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
We trouble getting the puck out of our own zone.

They forechecked and forechecked and we withered.

Dumba is pure garbage. His passing is terrible. Awful addition.

Duke was invisible. Thought he might play decent against the team that sent him to hockey hell.

Nope. Just another guy.

Dumba was benched when he was with the damn Coyotes. Why anyone thought he was some needed addition is beyond me. The social media team has included him in almost every post, like showing off some great prize.

He's a liability and I'd rather have whatever late round pick over him.

We were getting smothered for a large part of the game, and if we can't figure that out, we won't make it out of the 1st round unfortunately. I hope we do better next game, because I think we're capable.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

The South Florida Reformation led by Wes McCauley

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019

Lightning will just have to overcome "All" obstacles that stand in their way of winning "Cup". The goal is that simple, and not much else to it. Jon Cooper, and core that's been here awhile know what's up. They've got eyes and watch same games we all watch. This bunch learned long ago from 2015-2019 what NHL's.... "Let them play playoff hockey" was all about. They know standard needed....

Lightning become team that could overcome any styled Hockey game thrown their way.
  • If any game was special teams battle: no problem Lightning we're happy to oblige.
  • If game was a let them clutch and grab: they were ready for that.
  • If game was called one-sided against them: Lightning said bring it and overcame it.
  • If game was game that NHL needed certain outcome for longer series, and Lightning caught breaks that game: they seized that playoff opportunity ((TV ratings/more time slots + stadium $$$ = NHL series managing).
  • Any styled game they overcame, but nothing, anything, or anyone was going to deny Lightning what they wanted.
  • They become a 4-line juggernaut that could beat teams anyway, anywhere, and at anytime.
  • Cooper knows the mark, he's knows the mental edge needed, and this Lightning revised bunch will either achieve this or they won't.
  • Time for Lightning to put big boy pants on and go take theirs. Just like 3rd jersey sleeved 3-strips say... "We earned our stripes!" Lightning will have to be no different these playoffs.
We'll see how rest series is called but I don't think things will get much better on that front (Especially with timing of calls). Many reasons to why this is so. For one, Lightning are suppose to be gone already, bet they love we're not destroyed by salary cap.... lol Plus, does anyone think within today's environment: the NHL, ESPN/Media, and others want a Russian as possible role-model for kids going up within Canada/USA? (Wasn't NHL debating banning Russians players 2 or so yrs ago?) Another issue, a win this round would have Lightning beating major "Cup" favorites. Thus, giving Kucherov more legit claim to MVP status? No matter what anyone else wants, Lightning have to shove this #BS right back at them! So it's not weak to call this out or recognize room one is standing in. One has to dig feet into ground and bring it while refusing to be beat in these situations. Kucherov called out NHL, media, and others #1 BS with his newly F U "Cup" money during famous press conference. Was that weak when Kucherov did this? No, don't think so.... Like I mentioned this core and Cooper know what they need to be, what they need to do, and now it's time to get to work. That starts with bringing better effort next game while knocking some heads offs!

Go get Lightning !!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rschmitz

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011

Counterpoint: refs swallow their whistles every postseason for lesser infractions, and if we think we can win a cup on special teams alone we deserve to get bounced.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Counterpoint: refs swallow their whistles every postseason for lesser infractions, and if we think we can win a cup on special teams alone we deserve to get bounced.
Both are fair points. Comes down to playing a better game regardless of how the calls are going. This core has been through all of that ticky tacky shit with officiating. On both ends of it, too. It really comes down to whether all the new faces can elevate their game too and get it done.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
The most encouraging thing about the game for me was Vasy - he looked good. The rest of the team, and surprisingly Kuch, didn't match his level. Florida may simply be better, but the skaters can do more than they showed this game, and they were actually still in it until Coop pulled the goalie early.

Lack of opportunities is the obvious problem with being so dependent on the power play to score goals. We can complain about the refs endlessly, but the thing that matters is the team needs to be better 5 on 5. And when you do play better 5 on 5, you tend to force the other team into taking more penalties.
One of best post games wrap-ups, it's very nicely wrapped into a small package (Something I can't do) but says a bunch. Well done, and love part explaining Lightning can't have 5 -vs- 5 vulnerabilities that leave them. Well....vulnerable! Lightning won back-to-back by being able to seize opportunities while smacking down whatever came their way.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
One of best post games wrap-ups, it's very nicely wrapped into a small package (Something I can't do) but says a bunch. Well done, and love part explaining Lightning can't have 5 -vs- 5 vulnerabilities that leave them. Well....vulnerable! Lightning won back-to-back by being able to seize opportunities while smacking down whatever came their way.
This is where we miss McDonagh the most

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad